Angela Merkel: we have to take away your freedom of speech

Chancellor Angela Merkel delivered an emotional speech to the German Budestag this week on the need for limiting freedom of speech. "We Have to Take Away your Freedom of Speech or We Won't Be Free."

Angela-Merkel.png

Angela Merkel: For those who claim they can no longer express their opinion, I say this to them: If you express and pronounced opinion, you must live with the fact that you will be contradicted. Expressing an opinion does not come at zero cost. But freedom of expression has its limits. Those limits begin where hatred is spread. They begin where the dignity of other people is violated. This house will and must oppose extreme speech. Otherwise our society will no longer be the free society that it was.

A United Sates Congressman agrees, Rep. Ted Lieu (D., Calif.) said he would “love to be able to regulate the content of speech” during an interview Wednesday, noting he was prevented from doing that by the First Amendment.

[OFF]

She reminds me of her predecessor:

And, might I say that, those of use who are fighting aginst her ilk remind me of our predecessor:

The one, nothing more than an emotional ideologue. The other, an inspiring speaker, just happening to be a PM, extolling the Christian and Greco-Roman virtues which have underpinned most western thought and nations. And, above all, guiding his people through struggle, of which the British are no stranger to.

mi
Our betters in America think exactly that too:
Richard Stengel, a State Department undersecretary for public diplomacy and public affairs from 2013 to 2016 wrote:Even the most sophisticated Arab diplomats that I dealt with did not understand why the First Amendment allows someone to burn a Koran. Why, they asked me, would you ever want to protect that?

It's a fair question.
See? It may have taken the sophistication of Arab diplomats to do, what the silly Christians in the US have failed to accomplish, but this Obama official has seen the light - and is spreading it now on the pages of the Washington's main (the only!) newspaper.

To be sure, freedom of speech must not be extended to those who wish to say what we do not wish to hear. After all, one must not be allowed to shout "Fire!" in a burning theater ... or whatever the saying is.

Winston Smith could not be reached for comment.

Ellsworth Toohey wrote:Winston Smith could not be reached for comment.

A double-plus good observation, Comrade!

- SK

Ellsworth Toohey wrote:Winston Smith could not be reached for comment.
...YET.

(where, in a wider context, M stands for EUSSR, Globalia, and mad-gone Western "establishment",
while J represents the current, however slow, awakening of Western "deplorables")