Chinese agitprop lights up Times Square

BLOOM: Chinese agitprop lights up Times Square

Xinhua buys premium ad space to propagandize naive New Yorkers
By Dan Bloom
The Washington Times
Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Propaganda comes in all sizes, and communist China wants a piece of Times Square now. Xinhua, the state-controlled propaganda agency of the Chinese Communist Party, has leased a long-term advertising logo space in Manhattan's iconic Times Square, renting a huge LED sign called a “spectacular” in U.S. advertising parlance. According to the New York Times, the Xinhua sign is underneath a sign for Prudential and above signs for Samsung, Coca-Cola and Hyundai brands.

The problem is that Xinhua is not a brand. It is rather the mark of branded disinformation and propaganda. Americans need to know that.

Like the former USSR, today's China thinks it can fool the Western world with glass skyscrapers, space flights and glowing Times Square signs. But the West knows better - or does it? Xinhua is merely flexing its public-relations muscles as it attempts to pull the wool over gullible eyes in America and Europe.

Xinhua isn't a news agency. Let's be honest: It's the propaganda arm of a one-party state in an undemocratic land ruled by fear and paranoia that uses trumped-up prison terms to keep dissidents in line. Xinhua is akin to the old Soviet propaganda machines of yesteryear that served Russia so well in the 1970s and ‘80s. Remember Tass?

It's one thing for Times Square to open its advertising space to private brands from across the globe, and surely Chinese brands like Haier and Lenovo are welcome to showcase their logos there. But a “news agency” that prints blatant falsehoods about events inside China and in the West, and has the unmitigated gall to call its workers “journalists”? Whoever let Xinhua into Times Square ought to have his head examined.

This is a REAL news story, not one from People's Cube or the Onion

Actually, the Chinese probably own Times Square. We'll be lucky if they don't take over ALL the advertising thereabouts.

This is an outrage!

I shall instruct my useful idiot main contact at the WashDC edition of Pravda (The Washington Post) to see to it that Mr. Bloom never writes another article for them.

Zampolit Blokhayev wrote:This is an outrage!

I shall instruct my useful idiot main contact at the WashDC edition of Pravda (The Washington Post) to see to it that Mr. Bloom never writes another article for them.

Excellent Comrade Zamploit. Perhaps he can come over to the People's Cube where he will be more appreciated?

Scratch[/size][/b]
Last edited by Vladimir_Scratchanitch on 8/11/2011, 7:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason for editing this post: Turn it RED, red red

Yes, Comrade Scratch! I whole-heartedly concur!!! A little time at a Karl Marx Treatment Center™ should "tune him up", if you know what I mean!