In Memory of Marshal Pupovich

Commenting out of Character
Pupovich_Marshal.jpg
Comrades, I am saddened to inform you of the passing of Wesley Cannon, known to us as Marshal Pupovich. He was the author of no less than 6,486 posts on the People's Cube. His humor was crisp, clever, and upbeat - in other words, Cubeworthy. He was very forward about his Christian faith, and in a such a winsome and unaffected manner as to endear himself to all who met him.
While I do not recall him complaining, the Pup suffered from a number of severe physical issues including, among others, throat cancer. Wesley passed away in his sleep on Christmas Eve, or as his nephew put it, Jesus sent him an invitation to His birthday party.
The Collective will miss you, Marshal Pupovich, and we grieve at your passing.

He was a good man and a long-time, dedicated cubist. I met him once around 2010, when I went on a book tour to New Orleans and he came from Baton Rouge, where he lived, to hang out with me and attend the speeches. He was already physically weak and his voice was almost non-existent, which was extremely unjust because Wesley was far more articulate and had a lot more to say than many of the healthy loudmouth I know.

I think he chose the character of a pup on the Cube because he believed that humans can learn a lot from dogs about how to be loyal, faithful, and resolute, while at the same time loving and playful. Wesley had a unique kind of soft, playful humor, but he was also a staunch and faithful believer in the virtues of this country and its people.

Before the ailment hit him, Wesley had a good job and was physically active, riding bikes and enjoying the worldly side of life. But after years on disability he didn't have much left to live on. And then, a few years ago, a hurricane came and destroyed the small cabin in which he lived. We on the Cube organized a collection and sent him our checks to help him rebuild it.

He wasn't very active on the People's Cube lately, probably because of his illness. But in his day he was commenting on every thread, greeting the newcomers, starting new topics, and engaging in hilarious arguments on the virtues of dogs vs. cats. As Marshal Pupovich, he was an indispensable participant of our traditional show trials, making up trumped-up charges and denouncing comrades on suspicion of being deviationist thoughtcriminals. At one point he even denounced himself, starting one of the most memorable show trials over himself.

He will always live in our hearts and minds as a shining example of what a Cubist should be.

It is a sad day indeed. I'm sure a lot of Cube veterans will mention many more good things to remember about Wesley.

As a farm-fresh member of The Party, I never had the pleasure of being denounced by comrade Marshal Pupovich. I did enjoy reading some of his threads and thought perhaps others may be interested in them as well:
https://thepeoplescube.com/thoughtcriminal2061.html

Rest in Peace Comrade.

So sorry to hear about this. Although I haven't been a contributor for long, I have been a long time fan of TPC. I wondered where Marshall Pupovich had disappeared to. Condolences to the family.

In reviewing some of Pups recent postings I came across this prophetic one from 2013 in response to the death of Father Prog.

Damn it! I thought everyone understood my orders. I guess I must re-issue my standing order: No friend of mine is allowed to pass on before I do! I simply cannot deal with the emotional loss so therefore, regardless of the oxygen being consumed by my friends, and the polluting CO2 gases being emitted, I forbid any further un-authorized Final Exits by my friends, both real life and online! Yes, this makes me a greedy comrade, but that is just the way it has to be, so suck it up, and live! That means you as well Comrade!

I hope that Prog and Pup are together somewhere right now mocking the absurdities that is life on dear mother earth. This is a reminder to us all that we are all on borrowed time.

The Cube has offered so many a place to vent our frustrations in humor instead of the boiling red anger that politics can lead us into. We are here because we love our world, our country and our fellow human beings and we want to leave them better off. Prog and Pup both used this forum and their wits to enlighten, entertain and to re-educate us for many years.

I drink to you. Vodka, to fallen comrades.

Having been (in another persona) on Wesley's regular email list, I received (and enjoyed) countless emails from him for many years, and we corresponded individually quite a number of times. He was a loyal and quite clever member of the Cube as Marshal Pupovich. His most proud email was the one regarding his post which made it to the Mother Page. His final illness and passing is quite a sad loss for the Cube and the noble principles he championed via his parodic postings on the Cube.

RIP Pupovich

--KOOK

I, too, had been missing him and wondering where he had gone. Alas. Eternal rest grant unto him, and let perpetual light shine upon him. May he rest in peace.

Marshal Pupovich joined The People's Cube roughly the same time I did. I suspect that because of that, we bonded almost immediately. I probably interacted with him more than any other member. He came up with the idea that as high-ranking Party members the two of us shared a corner office, which I considered a great compliment.

Like Ethel Mertz, he often expressed dismay at some of my harebrained schemes liberal activism if he thought it might backfire on our glorious cause, but like Ethel he always came along for the ride, ready to steal credit or take the blame as the case might be.

After I spent 62 days perched on a high-rise ledge for Peace and to raise awareness of the need to establish a movement that would meet to discuss ways to press our elected representatives to introduce and debate and then vote to pass some kind of resolution calling for the demand to make steps to take action leading to the impeachment and prosecution of the war criminals Bush and Cheney, only to...to...oh, what was I saying?

Anyway, after 62 days of Perching for Peace, I was shot down from the ledge by Zampolit Blokhayev. I plummeted halfway down the high-rise only to land on a horizontal flagpole, where to my horror, I found myself wrapped in the American flag. It was none other than Marshal Pupovich who rescued me while the rest of you ran away to your parents' basements to blog about how there should've been a government program to prevent that from happening to me. For my own part, I don't blame Zampolit for shooting me. Instead I place the blame for that squarely where it belongs: On the NRA!

A true Progressive to the bone (especially if it was one he stole and buried), Pupovich knew just how to play the victim to get whatever he considered his government-given right. Because of this, he remains the only Cubist to have received Pinkie's prestigious Beet of the Week Award simply because he was miserable and I thought the award, along with a bumpersticker for his mother, would make him feel better. And because I cared.

But like any true Progressive, Pupovich didn't feel any better. It wasn't enough, for he was still as miserable as ever. He demanded more. Always more.

Then Red Square asked Pupovich how he'd like a promotion from Commissar to Marshal. Just like that, for no particular reason, as nonchalantly as asking if he'd like a doggie biscuit. So of course Pupovich jumped up on his hind legs, wagged his tail, unfurled his tongue, and seized the promotion just as if it were that proffered doggie biscuit. I'm not unaware that I might receive a similar promotion if I went through the same motions should Red Square ever ask, but I understand and even appreciate why he never will, or at least better not.

If there was anything certain to pull Pupovich out of the doldrums of dwelling on the downtrodden, it was his love of denouncing himself and others.

As Red Square already mentioned, Pupovich enjoyed nothing better than a good old-fashioned show trial—and never so much as when he himself was the subject. As an obedient Party member correct on all the issues that mattered, Pupovich always came through these tests of ideological purity unscathed and yea, more equal than ever.

For all these reasons and many more, Marshal Pupovich/Wesley Cannon held a special place in my heart, which broke to hear of his passing on Christmas Eve.

One of my least favorite Christmas songs is the one about the kid who doesn't have enough money to buy shoes for his dying mother. She's not expected to survive Christmas Eve but doesn't have a nice pair of shoes to wear for when she meets Jesus. A man standing in line with other last minute holiday shoppers pays for the shoes. I'm supposed to get all boo-hooey at this, when in fact I usually change radio stations in disgust the moment I realize that song is playing. Because you don't need fancy shoes or even heavy boots and warm clothing to meet Jesus, unless, of course, you're both assigned to the same gulag.

All you need is faith. All you need is to believe. All you need is in another special place in your heart, always there, waiting for you to find it. Wesley found it, and so met Jesus on Christmas Eve.

I raise my shovel in salute to you, dearest comrade. Rest forever in peace.

Image Image Image

Our beloved Purveyor of Yellow Currents, Marshal Pupovich, was one of my favorite posters here along with our other dearly departed impaler for the common good Father Prog Theocritus. I am sure both him and Father Theocritus are having beet vodka in that giant beet field in the sky. RIP Marshall Pupovich.

Commissarka Pinkie wrote: All you need is faith. All you need is to believe. All you need is in another special place in your heart, always there, waiting for you to find it. Wesley found it, and so met Jesus on Christmas Eve.

I raise my shovel in salute to you, dearest comrade. Rest forever in peace.

Amen,Sista Commissarka PINKIE!

I found this meeting of Jesus, myself, in a moment of desperation. The experience was extraordinary, in that it was quite calm. Not melodramatic. I will never forget it. Happened in my living room. Jesus and me.

I have experiences where I actually think I saw heaven. I could be wrong, of course, but I can tell you it was not boring. It was infinitely fascinating, you could not see or comprehend the love enveloping you. You could not see the end of it.

Father Prog, a most wonderful person, did not ascribe to this scenario, and wished for a non-existent future. He did not want an afterlife. So said a friend of his at his funeral.

I am so glad that sweet Pupovich found that. I can only hope Father Prog did. He was so kind, I'll bet God just had to take him in.

Love,Pammie

I DENOUNCE MARSHAL PUPOVICH FOR DERELICTION OF DUTY! (He would have wanted it that way.)

Komissar al-Blogunov wrote:Commenting out of Character
Pupovich_Marshal.jpg
...Wesley passed away in his sleep on Christmas Eve, or as his nephew put it, Jesus sent him an invitation to His birthday party.
The Collective will miss you, Marshal Pupovich, and we grieve at your passing.

I hear it is quite a birthday party, celebrated around the world.

So sad to hear the news. Rest in peace, Comrade Pupovich!

Uncle Els

The last few times we crossed paths I sensed Pupovich was hoping to rekindle the excitement of purges past. Alas, many of the original participants in the joyous proceedings were no longer active, and those remaining seemed somewhat disinterested in common show trials. I wish now I'd been more sensitive to his needs. I could have easily committed some unpardonable act such as revealing locations of The Party's private beet fields, or hiding the spark plugs from The People's™ tractor... something! But no, I was too selfish to provide him a few moments of pleasure. At least Comrade Pupovich - “Czar of Guilt” - would be pleased to find me wallowing in the self pity and guilt I so richly deserve! Nevertheless, I will miss him.

Do you suppose we might have a show trial in his honor?

I'm at a complete loss for words. While I mostly watch the cube from a distance because my regular schedule doesn't offer me the time to construct posts like I would like, I remember many times reading his posts and laughing. Laughter is a gift, and with it he was generous. I'm satisfied he has gone on to glory, my prayers would be for any family he leaves behind.

Marshall Pupovich Memorial Show Trial

The show trial is now in progress. Attendance is mandatory. Not having seen this announcement is not an excuse. The absentees will be deemed guilty and added to the panel of defendants.

I fear Pupovich intended to denounce me for implying that he enjoyed luxeries (far more equal that mine) about which I learned while traveling as a stoway on his Inner-Circle Jet. So, I must confess my unegalitarian envy of his more-equal status:

--KOOK

RedDiaperette wrote:Do you suppose we might have a show trial in his honor?
A most equal idea, Comrade RD, and you have inspired just that. As judge of the MPMST, I grant you one Get Out of Siberia Free card, and three free baseless denunciations (to be used with discretion).

Komissar al-Blogunov wrote:
RedDiaperette wrote:Do you suppose we might have a show trial in his honor?
A most equal idea, Comrade RD, and you have inspired just that. As judge of the MPMST, I grant you one Get Out of Siberia Free card, and three free baseless denunciations (to be used with discretion).

But who would possibly want to get out of Siberia, that edenic land of the most willing and joyous work for the Motherland? (The baseless denunciations, however, I accept with gratitude.)

Ha! HA! HA! I am free! I am free!

Pupovich always thought he had hung the Gang of Four after that dastardly showtrial, he gloated for weeks how he was the People Director's Favorite and that we, WE!, were merely meager proles and would never amount to anything! If we were so lucky we could be errand boys to the Inner Circle! Hmmph.... He said that after our re-education we could MAYBE get an Assistant People's Foreman job at a shoe factory manufacturing left footed shoes. Ahem...

Phooey!!! Herr Judge Marshall Pupovich (aka
Hua Guofeng)! You will never stop the Gang of Four from our purpose and mission to cure the Collectives Ills (*an evil cock's cackle*), no Ice Axe nor Kalashnikov shall ever touch our crafty brew!!!

Ahem!!! And now we stand ready to control the People's Business as it should have been from the beginning, before that whimpering little snipe Colonel 7.62 came bawling on the Red Square in denouncement! WE SHALL CONQUER!!!

(ahem... has anyone seen Comrade Genosse Pieck Genosse Pieck , Comrade Commodore Snoogie Woogums , or Comrade Leninka, I believe I feel a Northern coming on and it's quite cold... and quite austere.... my feathers are in danger of rustling in the cold wind without my Telogreika, which I believe I left in Leninka's closet at the last Secret Meeting of The Gang of Four People's Party get together.... brrrrrrrrrr..... )

Ride 'Em Pup!!! You will be forever and sorely missed my more equal Comrade!

Confession: When I first saw who some of our Comrades were in real life and their various circumstances, I was truly touched to tears. These people were supposed to be Useful Idiots rattling for the cause at Accorn Obama Election Headquarters. Victims of Capitalism™. Some of the most sincere and honorable people I've ever met, are right here on The Cube, behind some character; groveling for People's Justice™. Remember that, you meager souls of weak character, the next time you attempt to act like the jackass here, for they already know that I am the only jackass here.... er... rooster. RIP Pup @@.

Get back to work PROLES we have Left Shoes to produce!!!

It is great to mention our fallen comrades in this fight. I thank Pupovich and others who give this site a fire that light the dark places in the world.

Comrades,

My life's journey as of late has taken a much different path and I have not been able to post as much as I would like or visit The Cube as often as I had in the past. I've started a second career at the ripe old age of 53 and I'm now teaching conversational English here in my second adopted country of Japan, at a Japanese High School and I could not be happier.
The Japanese students are great and it's a pure joy to share with them my culture as they share with me theirs.
This change has taken so much of my time and energy though that I've just now found out our Dear Marshall was called home and I am of course truly saddened by this. He was a great Cube mentor to me and though I never met him in person, I have no doubt he would have been a great friend if I was in his part of the world.
I do take solace in the words though, "All dogs go to Heaven" which is exactly where this kind and giving man is now residing. You are missed Marshall.

Dearest Snoogie Woogums,

Our mutual friend, Comrade Tovarich, told me about you.

There are many things to love about Japan, so he tells me. I believe him.

For one thing, they are not "in your face" about anything. This is good.

In America, not so much.

Comrade Tovarich loved the kids he taught, and found it didn't really matter what he taught. He was voted the best teacher by students. They loved him.

Here he is in Indiana, getting an Engineering degree. He wants to go back to Japan.

He wants to make a living commensurate with what he made in Japan. Huge.

Commodore Snoogie Woogums wrote:Image
Comrades,

My life's journey as of late has taken a much different path and I have not been able to post as much as I would like or visit The Cube as often as I had in the past. I've started a second career at the ripe old age of 53 and I'm now teaching conversational English here in my second adopted country of Japan, at a Japanese High School and I could not be happier.
The Japanese students are great and it's a pure joy to share with them my culture as they share with me theirs.
This change has taken so much of my time and energy though that I've just now found out our Dear Marshall was called home and I am of course truly saddened by this. He was a great Cube mentor to me and though I never met him in person, I have no doubt he would have been a great friend if I was in his part of the world.
I do take solace in the words though, "All dogs go to Heaven" which is exactly where this kind and giving man is now residing. You are missed Marshall.
Good to see you Comrade Woogums! As you can see I still have your selflessly-donated avatar!

Comrades,

Will you perhaps have time to post for us more of those scrumptious recipes from the People's Galley? I have sorely missed them.

Pamalinsky wrote:Dearest Snoogie Woogums,

Our mutual friend, Comrade Tovarich, told me about you.

There are many things to love about Japan, so he tells me. I believe him.

For one thing, they are not "in your face" about anything. This is good.

In America, not so much.

Comrade Tovarich loved the kids he taught, and found it didn't really matter what he taught. He was voted the best teacher by students. They loved him.

Here he is in Indiana, getting an Engineering degree. He wants to go back to Japan.

He wants to make a living commensurate with what he made in Japan. Huge.

Kind words me lady, and Comrade Tovarich is right about Japan. It is truly a remarkable place I do hope one day you will be able to experience the "real Japan" that we both know with him.

RedDiaperette wrote:
Comrades,

Will you perhaps have time to post for us more of those scrumptious recipes from the People's Gallery? I have sorely missed them.

Done! As in would you like our latest dish Well-Done? New Galley item has now been posted on the main blog. The Marshall would've have liked this one.

[img]images/clipart/Prog_Off.gif[/img]I am so sorry for everyone's loss, I never knew him, but may God rest his soul.

I never got to participate in one of his threads or show trials, but it sounds like Marshal Pupovich was a beloved and valuable member of the Cube. Rest in Peace, Comrade.