First Che... Now Frida... It's a Kapitalist Konspiracy

Comrades...

Was horrified to find in today's paper an article indicating that the family of the late Frida Kahlo, artist, lover of Trostky and Diego Rivera, and militant Kommunist, is marketing her name - attaching it to Frida dolls which sport her immediately recognizable unibrown and present her in traditional Mexican dress, as well as a line of Tequila (not that I have anything against Tequila, though it could never hold a candle to Victory Vodka)... From Reuters, I've included below an article... unfortunately I could not repratriate a foto of said doll, though one appears in my daily paper... Kapitalist rag has not made article available onliine... the swine...

I fear that all our beloved icons will soon be in the hands of $.$. Halliburton and his ilk... no doubt, he is behind this travesty... I weep, even as I sharpen my shovel.

In Grief,
Sister Massively Opiated (whose computer is only recently returned to her from Kapitalist Swine Apple Corp. after it died in an untimely fashion... )

Latest Frida merchandise sparks debate in Mexico

Saturday November 26

MEXICO CITY (Reuters) - The mass marketing of Mexican painter Frida Kahlo's image has sparked debate in her homeland as a company plans to sell dolls in her likeness in December.

A Mexican doll maker will launch the 20-inch (50-cm) Kahlo replicas in Mexico, the United States, Canada, Germany, France and Spain, said Mara de Anda, a descendant of the legendary painter.

A line of jewelry, clothing and even a tequila with the artist's name have been marketed by her family in recent years after her niece, Isolda Pinedo Kahlo, obtained rights to register the name as a brand.

Some critics see it as exploitation of Kahlo's name for personal gain. But her family says the marketing promotes the artist and Mexican culture.

"We know there are people who will not like it and they are within their rights to think what they want. We are looking after Frida's image," de Anda, Isolda's granddaughter, told Reuters on Thursday.

"We do it for Mexico, for the culture, so people know more about our traditions," she said.

The dolls wear the traditional Mexican costumes favored by Kahlo, who was known for her distinctive dark eyebrows and a touch of facial hair.

Kahlo was married to the famous muralist Diego Rivera, whose work did not receive world renown until decades after her death in 1954.

Martha Zamora, Kahlo's biographer, is not completely opposed to commercializing the artist's image, but said the Mexican state and not the family should control it.

"The government should have conserved the name under its protection, because by allowing (the family) to register it they can do a lot of things," she said.

Raquel Tibol, an art critic who lived with Kahlo, told the daily La Jornada the government should have taken better care of the artist's image and protected it against her family's marketing "perversions."

"Fridamania" has raised Kahlo's image to mythic proportions around the world in the past 25 years, with the release of movies and books about the artist and products bearing her image, but she did not become a brand name until recently.

Kahlo was a militant Communist who, with Rivera, helped win approval from the government to allow Russian revolutionary Leon Trotsky to take refuge in Mexico from Soviet dictator Joseph Stalin. Kahlo became Trotsky's lover for a time.

A Mexican doll maker will launch the 20-inch (50-cm) Kahlo replicas in Mexico, the United States, Canada, Germany, France and Spain, said Mara de Anda, a descendant of the legendary painter.

By what means will they launch them? Will they use a catapult or a rocket? What level of earth orbit will they reach, and isn't there the danger of them burning up in the atmosphere upon re-entry?

Sister Massively Opiated - no doubt kapitalist pig baby killer "G.I. Joe" will violate her in shameless Amerikan fashion.

I think they should have had her marketing Taco Bell Chalupas. Yo Queiro Trotskyites! Or maybe Mentos - after a roll in the hay with Trotsky, Frida could pop a Mentos in her mouth nod knowingly and wink seductively. Or they could use Che Guevara as a spokesman. Really - get him into more then just t-shirts. After blasting some counter-revolutionary mother and child in the backs of their heads and kicking them into a ditch he could pop a Mentos into that filth hole of his and it would boost his energy enough to kill another!

sister massivel opiated
Kommissar Betty wrote:

By what means will they launch them? Will they use a catapult or a rocket? What level of earth orbit will they reach, and isn't there the danger of them burning up in the atmosphere upon re-entry?

Dearest Comrade Kommissar Betty,

I would opt for low-tech... a trebuchet perhaps... they can be easily built from discarded scrap material, and are easy to move around as they don't require the fixed weights used in catapults...

Best
S.M.O.

Chistka Counselor wrote:Sister Massively Opiated - no doubt kapitalist pig baby killer "G.I. Joe" will violate her in shameless Amerikan fashion.

I think they should have had her marketing Taco Bell Chalupas. Yo Queiro Trotskyites! Or maybe Mentos - after a roll in the hay with Trotsky, Frida could pop a Mentos in her mouth nod knowingly and wink seductively. Or they could use Che as a spokesman. Really - get him into more then just t-shirts. After blasting some counter-revolutionary mother and child in the backs of their heads and kicking them into a ditch he could pop a Mentos into that filth hole of his and it would boost his energy enough to kill another!

Most Worthy Comrade Chistka Counselor,

I suspect that very soon, there will be a Mexican version of a Malibu Barbie-type Kahlo doll... a sort of Cancun Frida Kahlo doll, complete with gripable paint brush and canvas, as well a large sun parasol for protecting her skin while painting on the beach... perhaps a cabana, in place of Malibu Barbie's RV ... would the "Ken" doll be Trotsky or Diego Rivera, and if it were Trotsky, would he come with "life-like detachable ice pick?"... We must feel compassion and empathy for Kapitalist swine Marketers, even as we despise them... theirs is a difficult, if evil job...

Respectfully,
S.M.O.

No!!!! NOT FRIDA! Anything but Frida.... bless your Che Guevara t-shirts SMO for looking out for our dear Frida Kahlo.

suicide-frida-kahlo-b.jpg

But her family says the marketing promotes the artist and Mexican culture.

"We know there are people who will not like it and they are within their rights to think what they want. We are looking after Frida's image," de Anda, Isolda's granddaughter, told Reuters on Thursday.

"We do it for Mexico, for the culture, so people know more about our traditions," she said.

See? The Common Good™ always wins!

Martha Zamora, Kahlo's biographer, is not completely opposed to commercializing the artist's image, but said the Mexican state and not the family should control it.

"The government should have conserved the name under its protection, because by allowing (the family) to register it they can do a lot of things," she said.

Hear!! Hear!!! Holy Stalins's ghost!!! How's that about believing in free will?! Frida, as anyone of us, belongs to The People!!