Frank Zappa on Crossfire 1986: I'm a Conservative

[img]/images/clipart/Prog_Off.gif[/img]
Watch the late great Frank Zappa hold his own with grace and aplomb and own his antagonizers.
He, outnumbered, absolutely owns this poor gormless antagonist, John Lofton, with grace. Even when he tells him to kiss his ass. A most gratifying watch!

Here it is:

Hey, John Lofton:

In life, however you see it, you were given a fixed amount of hormones. If you choose to spend yours on a hair piece that looks like the Dutch Boy advert, only with black hair, with a combover, that's your business.

We respect that, man! Chill out!

Edit: Just wanted to be more concise about Mr. Lofton's hairdo, in all fairness.

[PROG OFF]

Lofton was smoked. I don't like to use religion as an argument, but Lofton just came across as this hyper-religious a-hole. I mean, if your religion says that certain things are "bad" then I fully support your right to not buy or take part in those things on your own personal basis. What I DON'T support, and adamantly oppose, is the idea of you trying to make the rules of your religion law for everybody, and this applies to all religions. As far as I'm concerned, Zappa was right when he said that Lofton was supporting theocracy.

I think that a "record censorship bureau" would be like the idea of gun control, it would only hurt those who are buying their records from record stores or wherever they get them whereas people who wanted the so-called "bad" music would get it direct from the musician in the form of self-recorded tapes and CD's, on the black market, or by going to a show and having the "bad" songs played without a record.

Also, Lofton's arguments were like building a skyscraper on a cardboard box. Zappa had well-reasoned arguments and presented them very professionally and calmly, but Lofton just seemed to be repeating different forms of "The bible says it!" over and over and in a very unprofessional, highly emotional way. An argument like "The bible says it!" is like when a parent says "Because I said so", It has barely anything to back it up, and usually means that the person who's using it personally does/doesn't want the thing that they're arguing about to happen/be sold/be made.

My favorite argument of Lofton's is "Hitler used words!", you could just as easily replace Hitler with Lincoln, Martin Luther King, George Washington, or any other person that's had a positive impact on the world or has honor attached to them and nullify the Hitler argument. Also, Lofton was using words, does that make him the same as Hitler? I wouldn't doubt it.

Lofton also said that he wants to help parents out with records. If you can't make personal decisions on whether or not you want your children to see, hear, or participate in certain records, videos/movies, or activities and be willing to enforce those restrictions on a daily basis, then you aren't qualified to be a parent.

Normally, I'd try to at least have a sentence or two of [PROG ON], but I don't think I can do it. On one hand we have Zappa, a conservative, limited-gov't kind of guy, and on the other, Lofton, who seems to prefer the control of the State over the personal life of citizens but wants that control to comply with his religion. Unless another Comrade can come up with some [PROG ON], then Comrade Pamalinsky, I think you have found the first known example of "Kube Kryptonite". However, if another Comrade can come up with some [PROG ON], then they deserve to be hailed as a Hero of the Cube and made an eternally true People's Commissar.

Let us not forget that it was the future 'First Lady of the Church of Climate Change' Tipper Gore who was leading the charge to regain control of censor certain music. As the esteemed Mr. Lofton almost let slip, the purpose of rock and roll was for those of korrect political persuasion to rebel against the establishment, not for kapital gains through suggestive, misogynistic, and racist lyrics and videos.

Frank Zappa was also complicit in firing some of the first shots against Christianity as the basis of U.S. law with his comments about a 'fascist theocracy'. When we all know well that the only theocracy that should be implemented is that of Islamic Sharia, just like our glorious brothers and sisters in ISIS Hamas Boko Haram the White Fortress are gently shepherding us to.

Even during the height of the Reagan era, several persons were laying the groundwork for the coming of The One ™

Image I have never really been a fan of Frank Zappa or his music, but did give him credit for standing up to everything during the hearings and the whole censorship thing. And not having seen this clip before, I have to give him credit for sitting there rather calmly and not allowing Lofton and the others to dictate the full course of the discussion. He also refused to accept their premises and stuck to the point of the discussion being the words.

Oh, and "Hot For Teacher"...who didn't, at some point, have a hot substitute they would have loved the chance to motorboat? We all know adolescent teens don't have hormones....

Zappa must be rolling in his grave these days.I think I can see his IQ soaring above those Neanderthals.

Kelly Ivanovna/келя ивановна wrote:Zappa must be rolling in his grave these days.I think I can see his IQ soaring above those Neanderthals.

[PROG OFF]
Kelly, to use a somewhat-common expression, if you hooked Zappa's body up to a turbine you could power the world (Though I'm basing this on what I've read on quotes pages featuring him). I bet you could go to space, even drill to the center of the earth on nothing but electricity if you hooked up Orwell's body too.

Comrades! Such formidable comments! Really.

Comrade Stierlitz,

I really don't know what to add to your post or even what to say in response to it. It is all-inclusive. I agree with what you said. I thank you for taking the time to respond as you have. Awesome!

Warren Peas,

You are correct. The First Lady of the Church of Climate Change, Tipper Gore, was, indeed, leading the charge for censorship of certain music. First Amendment be damned! But, she thought she was doing the right thing. She has since, as you know, divorced him.

Frank Zappa did fire some shots against Christianity as the basis of U.S. law. Thing is, I feel he has/had a point. There are Christians and there are “Christians.” The real ones don't sensor people or seek to control their every action or thought. The ones that do are arrogant, self-righteous, fanatics.

Personally, I am a fan of the Ten Commandments AND the Golden Rule. They seem to carve out, pretty well, what a civilized world is made of and define the positive side of human nature.

It should be noted, for what it is worth, that when Tipper and Al found out Frank was dying, they sent their condolences in a very kind way, according to Frank, himself. You can YouTube it, Frank Zappa's last interview.

I was never a fan of Frank Zappa either, until I actually listened to his music. What a courageous and innovative composer, and one hell of a guitar player! I knew some of the players in his band.

He was not a druggie.

Kelly Ivanova,

I think Frank, instead of rolling, although I can see why he would do this, is, indeed, soaring!

Pamalinsky wrote:Comrades! Such formidable comments! Really.

Comrade Stierlitz,

I really don't know what to add to your post or even what to say in response to it. It is all-inclusive. I agree with what you said. I thank you for taking the time to respond as you have. Awesome!

~Irrelevant bits removed~

[PROG OFF]

Thanks Comrade Pamalinsky, it took me about 1 1/2 hours to write it. I don't have a lot of talents, but one of the very few that I have is writing, and it comes in handy sometimes. Though I'm more into the poetry side of writing than anything, though if you give me a topic that I'm passionate about I can write and rave and rail about it, but if you give me a topic like "Communism in late-1800's South African Taverns" then it'll be like playing pool with a rope.

Comrade Stierlitz,

I saw the effort you made and was very touched and honored by it. I think you do have a gift. Thank you for sharing it with me!