German zoo renames monkey, admits 'Obama' insensitive

This is not humor, parody, or satire. The funniness of this piece is in that it's real, including the name of the news website, Earth Times (ET).

Earth Times wrote:
German_zoo_renames_100709.jpg
Fri, 10 Jul 2009

Dresden, Germany - A German zoo changed the name of one of its monkeys Friday from "Obama" to "Okeke" after a black group warned the original name implied a racial slur. The newborn mandrill was named Obama this March, in honour, zookeepers said, of US President Barack Obama.

A Dresden Zoo spokesman said the new name took effect Friday and confirmed a report in an English-language website, The Local. Obama visited Dresden last month.

Tahir Della of the Initiative for Black Germans (ISD) was quoted saying, "Black people continue to be confronted by associations with the animal kingdom and primitivity."

The zoo said it choses names beginning with the same letter for all newborn animals in any one year. In 2009 that letter was O and a keeper thought "Obama" would be a positive tribute to the US president.

The Local said the zoo had initially apologized for any upset but had not taken any action over the protest.

Okeke
But what about us people named Okeke? Do we look like freaking monkeys? Hey, why don't they just name the thing Little Sambo!

This is an outrage!!!

But it's NOT insulting to compare GWB to a chimp.

Would it be insulting if the Germans were to rename the monkey Olbermann?

Dresden eh? Don't make us firebomb you again, verstehen?

That'll show those insensitive clods in Germany! Do the People have an arm in Dresden that can pick up these zoo officials and "enlighten them"?

Has anyone thought of the monkey? The monkey, for crying out loud! It went to bed one night thinking it was Obama only to wake up the next morning to discover it was named Okeke. This poor, furry, proletarian comrade has been traumatized by bourgeois zookeepers who have an identity solely because of the this monkey's lack of one.

Monkeys have long felt inferior and underevolved ever since Darwin published On the Origin of the Species. To add to this abused being's low self-esteem the further insult of confusion about self identity is unspeakably cruel.

Red Square wrote:Would it be insulting if the Germans were to rename the monkey Olbermann?

I hate to be the one to issue the obvious joke but someone's got to do it......

YES, IT'S INSULTING TO THE EFFING MONKEY!!!!

And cruelty to animals, to boot!

Poor monkey... poor, poor monkey... it will suffer an identity crisis the rest of it's monkeyhood.

Comrades, Do not worry we've already buried The Tar Baby...

So now ALL MONKEYS MUST GO!!!!

And just watch out you Rethuglicans, we're warning you, we have ammo to cut you right to the quick...

We mean it! We are not pulling any punches! How do you Rethuglicans like this, huh? How does this make you fweeeeel? We have named these saltine crackers after your beloved leaders....

No fooling around Rethuglicans, we've had enough of your head games with monkeys! How does this make you fweel?

I think this was misinterpreted somewhere before. . .

Well, except the outrage over the cartoon shows the ignorance of The People when it comes to their own political system. Middle School Social Studies, three branches of government. Who does what? More precisely, does the Executive write any bills? But then Hi O'liness is a Trinitarian form of government. He is all-encompassing. So I guess it is fitting.

But the monkey named Obama? That's so German it's not even funny. Germans have a knack for "stepping into it" when excited about the O or anything else for that matter. Must be our national character. But then, as the old saying goes "I'm not rude, I'm German!"

Precisely Pieck, where as Condi Rice was portrayed pregnant with a monkey in an Islamic cartoon, funny I missed the outrage.

Yes, the Germans carried big flags and big crowds for his O'liness when he got elected, really they should have named a Zebra after the 0.

You know I just realized something.

The People in The Hood must be part German.