"Heroes"

Here's David at Fashion Rocks at Radio City 2005. He was ill but sang it with all he had.
Makes it even more poignant to me.
My friend, Michael Garson, is the pianist accompanying him.
I thought it was stunning.
RIP, dear David.

Probably the most intellectual rock star ever. The man was a true artist and poet.

This is the version of Hereos that first caught my attention. David Bowie "Heroes" (Bing Crosby Show) Christmas Special in 1977:

Never was a big David Bowie fan. I'm one of those guys that would listen to "Major Tom" 10-20 times and then quit for a long time. But when I'd heard that Rick Wright from Pink Floyd died back in 2008 I was absolutely devastated, so I know how some of his more dedicated fans may feel. And it's always a sad thing when someone from that era of music dies. Wherever he is, if he's anywhere, may he be living in perfect luxury.

Lev Termen wrote:
VentureBrosBowie.gif

[highlight=#FFFF00]"Just some bloke who wanted to be anyone but himself"[/highlight]

A common aspiration among artistic types and certain Olympic gold medal-winning decathletes.

Lev Termen wrote:
VentureBrosBowie.gif

That is a cruel assessment.

Those of us who are artists don't desire to be who we are. We simply are who we are.

We are flawed but we love and hate with passion.

Bowie was an artist.

Kapitan Kangaroo Kourt wrote:That is a cruel assessment.

Not a big Venture Bros. fan, Komrade Kourt?

Kapitan Kangaroo Kourt wrote:
Lev Termen wrote:
VentureBrosBowie.gif

Those of us who are artists don't desire to be who we are. We simply are who we are.

Bowie was an artist.

Actually, I am an artist and I love being one. I desire nothing else. I can sing (opera and pop), play instruments, paint, do construction work, (I have a collection of 64 drill bits) Am I good at some things and not others? Absolutely. The things I'm good at, as well as those I'm not, are always open for improvement. That's what makes life fun for me. And, that's why I love Cubists! (an art form)

I love David Bowie!

P.S.: Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that, as an artist, I understand Kubrick. That monolith thing at the beginning of the film, 2001, where all the neanderthals were trying to decipher a cement wall? It's just a metaphor for "the unknown." See! I understand Kubrick! XXOO

Komrad Bowie was indeed a great artist. My personal favorite is:

I'm Afraid of Americans

I apologize for my lack of embedding skills. I'll go ahead and denounce myself to save everyone else the trouble.

I hear this one cuts a little too close to the bone for many Leftist.

Mr. Bowie's conclusion that "God is an American" must be REALLY offensive.

I would just like to add that during my misspent youth in the Imperialist USSA Air Force, I would have thought it quite natural that they should fear Americans.

Saddened by the Current Truth ™

Red Salmon

Pamalinsky wrote:
Lev Termen wrote:
VentureBrosBowie.gif

P.S.: Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that, as an artist, I understand Kubrick. That monolith thing at the beginning of the film, 2001, where all the neanderthals were trying to decipher a cement wall? It's just a metaphor for "the unknown." See! I understand Kubrick! XXOO

I too am blessed/cursed with an understanding of Kubrick. I remember explaining 2001 to my parents in 1969. I was 8. Then in 1971 they took me to see A Clockwork Orange. Their reason was that they heard it had a classical music sound track. I had to explain that one too. They stopped taking me to the movies after that.

Swimming in the Current Truth ™

Red Salmon

Red Salmon wrote:Komrad Bowie was indeed a great artist. My personal favorite is:

I'm Afraid of Americans

I apologize for my lack of embedding skills. I'll go ahead and denounce myself to save everyone else the trouble.

I would just like to add that during my misspent youth in the Imperialist USSA Air Force, I would have thought it quite natural that they should fear Americans.

Red Salmon

Image From my understanding of God, whatever name you want to give him, since words are so crude, sometimes, God is way past any definition.

God does not force his love upon you. You cannot see or feel him without your own free will. Otherwise, it's not love, it's tyranny.

When David says, “I'm afraid of America” what does he mean?

I'm afraid of America because so many Americans have willingly voted away their freedom.

On the other hand, America was founded upon the principles of freedom, free will, and independence. Is that what David means when he says he is afraid of America?

Those who have the latter view should, indeed, be afraid of America, the most extraordinary civilization in the history of the world.

I can only hope David meant the latter. Somehow, I, sadly, don't think so.

I come from a military family. Not one of them ever said they like war. Nobody does.

God Bless America!

Komrad Pamalinski,

I read once that Mr. Bowie's fear of America was that we would tire of the rest of the world and leave them to rot. He believed that America is a force for good in the world.

On a side note, I never see a "Visualize World Piece" bumper sticker without wondering where the "Visualize World Freedom" bumper stickers are.

Red Salmon

Red Salmon wrote:Komrad Pamalinski,

I read once that Mr. Bowie's fear of America was that we would tire of the rest of the world and leave them to rot. He believed that America is a force for good in the world.

On a side note, I never see a "Visualize World Piece" bumper sticker without wondering where the "Visualize World Freedom" bumper stickers are.

Red Salmon

Thank you, thank you, thank you for posting that. I'd like to think that about our darling David. I am a friend of his piano man, Mike Garson, who I haven't see in years, who was stumping for OWS.

I also love those who ask us to think our extra special positive thoughts for World Peace. Yeah, that'll work. ; • )

Red Salmon wrote:Komrad Bowie was indeed a great artist. My personal favorite is:

I'm Afraid of Americans

I would just like to add that during [highlight=#FFFF00]my misspent youth in the Imperialist USSA Air Force[/highlight], I would have thought it quite natural that they should fear Americans.

Red Salmon

Hence forth, you shall be known as Comrade "FlyingFish" Red Salmon!

Captain Craptek wrote:

I'm Afraid of Americans

I would just like to add that during [highlight=#FFFF00]my misspent youth in the Imperialist USSA Air Force[/highlight], I would have thought it quite natural that they should fear Americans.

Red Salmon

My step-father, a Colonel in the Air Force, served valiantly in WW2. There is a story in the Chicago Tribune about him and his crew regarding the "Postville Express" which was shot down over Singapore. An amazing story. They survived for over 8 months until the war was ended.

I am most grateful for your service, Sir Red Salmon.

[OFF]

Pamalinsky wrote:
Lev Termen wrote:
VentureBrosBowie.gif

Bowie was an artist.

Actually, I am an artist and I love being one. [highlight=#ffff00]I desire nothing else. I can sing (opera and pop), play instruments, [highlight=#ffffff]paint,[/highlight][/highlight] [highlight=#99ccff]do construction work[/highlight], (I have a collection of 64 drill bits) Am I good at some things and not others? Absolutely. The things I'm good at, as well as those I'm not, are always open for improvement. That's what makes life fun for me. And, that's why I love Cubists! (an art form)

I love David Bowie!

Yellow:

I've got a couple questions for you. 1) What do you play (Instruments and/or songs), just to satisfy my curiosity. 2) How does it feel when you're playing or singing? Once again, for satisfaction of curiosity. I've always heard it feels really good, like intercourse (even the solitaire version) or cupcakes. I'd just like to get a window into this world, since I'll probably never be a part of it.

Blue:

I'd like to see some photos, if not, some descriptions of the stuff you've made/worked on. I haven't done too much working with wood, zero working with metal (in any capacity beyond drilling holes in and bolting bits together). And when I try to do anything complex with wood it always fails, mainly due to lack of proper equipment or proper planning. Although I have built a small table, around 1 1/2' square that will hold 2 grown men without a sweat.

And, in my opinion, you don't truly own those drill bits until you've lost at least one of them and spent a few hours mid-project looking for it. You just have them up until that point. Trust me on this one.

Pamalinsky wrote:
From my understanding of God, whatever name you want to give him, since words are so crude, sometimes, God is way past any definition.

God does not force his love upon you. You cannot see or feel him without your own free will. Otherwise, it's not love, it's tyranny.

When David says, “I'm afraid of America” what does he mean?
[highlight=#ffff00]
I'm afraid of America because so many Americans have willingly voted away their freedom.

On the other hand, America was founded upon the principles of freedom, free will, and independence. Is that what David means when he says he is afraid of America?[/highlight]

Those who have the latter view should, indeed, be afraid of America, the most extraordinary civilization in the history of the world.

I can only hope David meant the latter. Somehow, I, sadly, don't think so.

I come from a military family. Not one of them ever said they like war. Nobody does.

God Bless America!

I'm afraid of America too. I'm definitely NOT afraid of the idea of America, the vision set out so many years ago. It's one of the best visions possibly ever laid. I'm afraid of what it has become. America is nothing but Rome 2.0, and I'm afraid that the fall has begun. I'm afraid that the people of America have become drunken on bread and circuses and sit in their living rooms, lulled into placidity by violent, mindless entertainment while the room is burning around them. I'm afraid that the government has become a combination of tyrant Caesar and malingering Nero. I'm afraid that every single one of our rights has been violated by the tentacles of legislature and that the tentacles continue to slither across the landscape. I'm afraid that the people fear the government rather than the government fearing the people. And the thing that I'm most afraid of is that most people accept this as the natural and normal way. It isn't. The people of America continue to allow themselves to be subjugated and divided, to be pushed down into slavery and serfdom. They focus more on what divides them than united them. We are NOT the divided states of America, as much as the government and the powers that be would like that, we are the UNITED States of America. And if we are to have a revolution to stop this new King George, we must unite, not divide. There WILL be attempts at a revolution, but due to this country being so fractured and divided, they won't take off. And the perpetrators will be locked away by the new Gestapo that is the militarized police force. I'm afraid that the only way a revolution will come is for the crash of the Dollar to come. And, as insane as I might sound, I'm looking forward to that crash, because it will hopefully wake up most of America to the theatrics of the system and give the politicians that endlessly print money without regard the smack on the ass that has been coming to them for so long.

"I'm an outsider by choice, but not truly. It's the unpleasantness of the system that keeps me out. I'd rather be in, in a good system. That's where my discontent comes from: being forced to choose to stay outside.
My advice: Just keep movin' straight ahead. Every now and then you find yourself in a different place."
-George Carlin, When Will Jesus Bring the Pork Chops?

As for things that are completely different, thanks for your service Red "Flying Fish" Salmon!

Pamalinsky wrote:
Captain Craptek wrote:

I'm Afraid of Americans

Red Salmon

My step-father, a Colonel in the Air Force, served valiantly in WW2. There is a story in the Chicago Tribune about him and his crew regarding the "Postville Express" which was shot down over Singapore. An amazing story. They survived for over 8 months until the war was ended.

I am most grateful for your service, Sir Red Salmon.

Pammie - Have a look

Pamalinsky wrote:
Lev Termen wrote:
VentureBrosBowie.gif

Bowie was an artist.

Actually, I am an artist and I love being one. I desire nothing else. I can sing (opera and pop), play instruments, paint, do construction work, (I have a collection of 64 drill bits) Am I good at some things and not others? Absolutely. The things I'm good at, as well as those I'm not, are always open for improvement. That's what makes life fun for me. And, that's why I love Cubists! (an art form)

I love David Bowie!

Indeed, comrade Pamski I do everything you do except the opera. My girlfriend is a member of the symphony chorus so that makes up for it. I also drive tractor-trailers for a living. I also do film and photography, when I can afford it. I also write songs.

P.S.: Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that, as an artist, I understand Kubrick. That monolith thing at the beginning of the film, 2001, [highlight=#ffff00]where all the neanderthals were trying to decipher a cement wall?[/highlight] It's just a metaphor for "the unknown." See! I understand Kubrick! XXOO[/quote]

Edit: I also forgot to mention that [highlight=#ffff00]this concrete block is also a metaphor for what we are observing today in our government elitists[/highlight]. See! I REALLY understand Kubrick!

Craptek!

(Cut to save space)

Pammie - Have a look[/quote]

Wow! I did have a look! Is this after the plane was shot down? It looks like it's in pretty good shape, considering.

Thanks for posting this, it is an amazing story about these guys in their early twenties kicking some butt. I saw the scars on my step-father's arms and hands when I was a child. He credits a local woman in Indonesia for saving his life from gangrene.

While there are so many amazing stories about our wonderful men in WW2 that deserve to be told, just about humans who possess true character, this one story would make an amazing movie. At the end of their horrendous ordeal, they just walked out with the rest of the crowd when the end of the war was announced, as if nothing had ever happened.

Here's a very artistic French animation video to Bowie's "Life on Mars?" played with what sounds like Theremin, the incomparable invention of our very own Lev Tremen:

Pamalinsky wrote:Craptek!

(Cut to save space)

Pammie - Have a look

Wow! I did have a look! [highlight=#FFFF00]Is this after the plane was shot down?[/highlight] It looks like it's in pretty good shape, considering.

Thanks for posting this, it is an amazing story about these guys in their early twenties kicking some butt. I saw the scars on my step-father's arms and hands when I was a child. He credits a local woman in Indonesia for saving his life from gangrene.

While there are so many amazing stories about our wonderful men in WW2 that deserve to be told, just about humans who possess true character, this one story would make an amazing movie. At the end of their horrendous ordeal, they just walked out with the rest of the crowd when the end of the war was announced, as if nothing had ever happened.

Pammie,

No. It's a picture of the "Postville Express" B-29 undergoing maintenance of some sort, sitting on an unimproved field somewhere, on a date unknown to me. In all probability there is a layer of perforated steel sheeting a few inches under that mud. Without it, that plane would have sunken to its engine nacelles in mud. It was commonly used to construct servicable landing strips for heavy aircraft. No luxury accommodations there either!

Red Square wrote:Here's a very artistic French animation video to Bowie's "Life on Mars?" played with what sounds like Theremin, the incomparable invention of our very own Lev Tremen:

OMG! This gives yet another meaning for "blown away!" Thanks, Lev. You rock!

Captain Craptek wrote:
Pamalinsky wrote:Craptek!

(Cut to save space)

Pammie - Have a look

Wow! I did have a look! [highlight=#FFFF00]Is this after the plane was shot down?[/highlight] It looks like it's in pretty good shape, considering.

Pammie,

No. It's a picture of the "Postville Express" B-29 undergoing maintenance of some sort, sitting on an unimproved field somewhere, on a date unknown to me. In all probability there is a layer of perforated steel sheeting a few inches under that mud. Without it, that plane would have sunken to its engine nacelles in mud. It was commonly used to construct servicable landing strips for heavy aircraft. No luxury accommodations there either!

Interesting, I have never come across this photo. I am in the process of transcribing the Chicago Trib articles to digital. It's a long process but worth doing. I'll let everyone know, especially you, when I'm done.

Love,
Pammie

Let me do the genetic splicing of two People's Cube threads, adding Human-Animal Splicing into the mix. R.I.P. David Bowie - you were ahead of time in all the important issues of today.