'King for a Day' executive order to fix 'activist judiciary'

King_Court.jpg
President Trump's use of Executive Orders during the first two weeks of his first term has signaled to his supporters that he intends to make good on as many of his campaign pledges as possible.

The implementation of a limited travel ban and restrictions has been one of the most controversial to date. But buried in the stack that is pending review, and signature, are a few others that, while currently overlooked, may create additional headaches for the administration and Congress as well.

One such gem is Executive Order 13773 titled "King for a Day," intended to eliminate the backlog of petit or administrative court cases and to lessen the influence of the so-called ‘activist judiciary' over mundane or routine civil cases.

The order essentially allows state governors to revive the feudalistic practice of "holding court" by the monarch. This way citizens can petition the Governor's office directly and receive a quick solution to the issue via decree, bypassing a lengthy and costly court process. Similarly, it provides a means for President Trump to summarily overrule the current stay imposed by a federal judge in Seattle on the travel ban.

While the National Trial Lawyers Association has not commented on the order that largely targets civil cases, members of the American Bar Association have registered their opposition. Several attorneys, under condition of anonymity, have expressed outrage at what they see as an attack on their livelihood.

"They are taking food off the plates of my children," said one lawyer specializing in bankruptcy. "What do they want us to do, start defending criminals?"

California Governor Jerry Brown has said, "I reject get-it-done, make-it-happen thinking. I want to slow things down so I understand others better."

Reaction from the public has been muted and sporadic given the lack of mainstream press coverage of the proposed order.

Those who have been closely following the new President's actions have praised what they see as a method of truly dispensing justice. In an interview, one South Dakota resident said that "it is nice to see the balance of power shift back to the States."

Of President Trump's efforts, White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer has been quoted as saying, "He's doing exactly what he told the American people he would do."

Word has it that he's already been fitted for his crown:

King Trump Oval Office.jpg