OUT OF CHARACTER: Hurricane Relief

I posted this at the end of a thread, but I want to make it official and public.

If there are any Cubists being displaced by either Harvey or Irma, I have a big house with a lot of empty bedrooms. You are welcome to come bunk up in my Appalachian bunker for as long as needed, with free room and board (and access to the shooting range).

I. Betinov

Be careful what you wish for, other Ivan...I had 9 refugees in my house from Corpus Christi for a week.

Ivan Betinov wrote:I posted this at the end of a thread, but I want to make it official and public.

If there are any Cubists being displaced by either Harvey or Irma, I have a big house with a lot of empty bedrooms. You are welcome to come bunk up in my Appalachian bunker for as long as needed, with free room and board (and access to the shooting range).

I. Betinov

That is so kind and generous of you. You may need to gird your beets too as there are some paths that take it up through the mountains. Hurricanes through the mountains are never a good thing. I remember Camille. By the time all the extra water flowing into the Mighty James got to the Capital of the Confederacy, it was rolling! Some counties in the mountains didn't fare well either.

Now I must bring you back to reality. You may not want to say this " I have a big house with a lot of empty bedrooms." too loudly................must I remind you?

I wasn't going to say anything, but given that I did evacuate from Florida I may as well take you up on your offer in case my bunker is washed away. I'll bring my Daisy air Kalashnikov. Mrs. Square and I are just a shot away as the song goes. You'll know it's us because we'll be singing "Gimme shelter" starting at 2:40.

Red Square wrote:I wasn't going to say anything, but given that I did evacuate from Florida I may as well take you up on your offer in case my bunker is washed away. I'll bring my Daisy air Kalashnikov.

If your Daisy has been corrupted by the imperialist storm, you can use mine. I have a spare

- SK

Comrade Ivan-s.jpg

[highlight=#e6ecf0]Commissar for the Liquidation of All Enemies[/highlight][highlight=#e6ecf0]of the Proletariat Working Classes[/highlight][highlight=#e6ecf0]Defender of the Revolution and [/highlight][highlight=#e6ecf0]Charter Member- Dictatorship of the Proletariat[/highlight][highlight=#e6ecf0][/highlight][highlight=#e6ecf0]Comrades! Due to the Hysteria and Panic caused by Trump (isn't he to blame for everything Comrades? Eh?) I now posses 1 month of gas, 2 months of food and no money to pay bills! Since us 'East Coast' Floridian Comrades are missing the action, it seems that I should offer said supplies to any 'Fellow Travelers' of the Gulf Coast who may have been caught unaware! I have no living space to offer, but if you need any fuel or food please ask as my diet is going to end if this stuff sits here much longer! Please have Party Membership Papers to prove 'suitability' for this event. Only 'Fellow Travelers' need apply! Contact me, Comandante Gonzallo! at [email protected]. Also, I can't deliver until after storm passes.[/highlight]

Red Square wrote:I wasn't going to say anything, but given that I did evacuate from Florida...
I had a 20 on passed out under a picnic table...oh well.

Ivan the Stakhanovets - [color=#C0392B]the winner[/color] wrote:
Red Square wrote:I wasn't going to say anything, but given that I did evacuate from Florida...
I had a 20 on [highlight=#ffff00]passed out under a picnic table[/highlight]...oh well.

You may have lost that one, but you nailed the [highlight=#ffffff]Where-is-Putout[/highlight] lottery! Congrats!

In Europe, because we have Korrektified governments, there are no hurricanes. All Kubists are welcome to hide in my 10 square meter appartment and partake in local beers!

The always enigmatic [color=#C0392B]Ivan the Stakhanovets[/color] wrote:Be careful what you wish for, other Ivan...I had 9 refugees in my house from Corpus Christi for a week.
Ivan... please explain!?

Ivan Betinov wrote:I posted this at the end of a thread, but I want to make it official and public.

I. Betinov

He really means it, Comrades! Spousal unit, Comrade Tovarich, and I were there at his bunker last August. Shot a few rounds and had some good eats! Saw some turkeys and deer. An excellent refuge! Go Cubists!

Red Square wrote:I wasn't going to say anything, but given that I did evacuate from Florida I may as well take you up on your offer in case my bunker is washed away. I'll bring my Daisy air Kalashnikov. Mrs. Square and I are just a shot away as the song goes. You'll know it's us because we'll be singing "Gimme shelter" starting at 2:40.

Well, Comrade Red, thank you so much for letting us know you evacuated the area in danger. Spousal unit Comrade Tovarich and I were wondering if you were safe while we were on vacation in Seattle and the environs, exactly the opposite of where we live in Tucson. We got to experience the benefits of actual moisture as opposed to the very dry conditions in Tucson. One of the first things we noticed is the behavior of buggers in a dry vs wet climate. Our conclusion: You want a wet climate. The science is settled.

Are those really the lyrics from 2:40? If not, they do suit the effort to dismantle any help given by Rethuglicans and that's what really counts!

Glad you're safe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

p.s.: You know how I love exclamation points and now use them judiciously. Thanks to you!

We are driving home to Florida tomorrow. We are stuck here in north Georgia with no internet and a very sketchy cell phone reception.

Red Square wrote:We are driving home to Florida tomorrow. We are stuck here in north Georgia with no internet and a very sketchy cell phone reception.

Comrade, I understand you are very busy getting back into town, but may I suggest you inspect a certain place before you jump the border.

We will visit that place once Coca Cola does something about Atlanta's perpetual traffic congestion. Until then we'll be avoiding it like the plague, planning the trip so we can beat the Atlanta traffic.

Cell service isn't the only thing sketchy in North Georgia. If you hear "Dueling Banjos" crank up in the distance...run.

Red, if there is anything I can do for y'all once you get back home and assess the situation, do not be shy about asking. I'm pretty sure I speak for the entire Cube on that.

Has anyone heard from Pinkie of late?

Comrade Red Square - I don't think I imagined this... you were there recently!
It was you, Mrs. Red Square, me and your Pharrell Williams hat. When we tried to take a picture that Antifa guy wanted to smash the statue of the Coca-Cola founder J.R. Pemberton. They discovered he had been a Confederate Colonel. You slowed him down just long enough for me to put two rounds into his center of mass!
A good time was had by all!

Red Square wrote:We will visit that place once Coca Cola does something about Atlanta's perpetual traffic congestion. Until then we'll be avoiding it like the plague, planning the trip so we can beat the Atlanta traffic.

Mercy me Comrade Red Square, getting out of Atlanta could be worse.

Cell phone service in Georgia? Outside of the major metropolitan areas, running water is considered high-tech.
Those hillbillies even put coleslaw on hot dogs! Stop anywhere in the region and ask Bubba at the counter for a slaw-dog and a Moon-Pie, he knows what to do.
Drive safely, and if you stop, don't make eye contact with the locals...

Ivan Betinov wrote: Has anyone heard from Pinkie of late?
Thank you, Betinov! I'm here and in one piece. My house was built in 2005 to withstand a Category 3 hurricane. After some discussion, we decided to hunker down instead of evacuating to kinfolk in south Georgia, where their house is almost 50 years old and probably couldn't withstand Sherman's march.

Irma passed just to our east, by which time she was down to a Cat 1. Miraculously, we did not lose power! (The kinfolk in GA lost theirs for three days.) That was probably my biggest fear, and we consider ourselves extremely fortunate, especially when so many others in FL are still waiting for theirs to come back on.

I was actually teary-eyed with relief and gratitude to God the next morning, to be able to brew some hot coffee and enjoy the A/C and turn on the TV and log onto the internet to see what else was going on out there. I've had my share of misfortune and heartbreak over the years, and like to think the Man Upstairs decided to cut me some slack this time.

Mr. and Mrs. Red Square reporting for duty. We came back to civilization in Florida (where there is power, Internet, cell service, etc.) last night, but there's still a lot of work to unpack, clean, remove the piles of fallen branches, leaves, and Spanish moss around the house. Our little house is still standing, and apart from a leak in the bedroom and wet floor in the entry room, nothing is damaged.

The above will keep me busy for a few more days, so please pardon my continued absence...

Red Square wrote:Mr. and Mrs. Red Square reporting for duty. We came back to civilization in Florida (where there is power, Internet, cell service, etc.) last night, but there's still a lot of work to unpack, clean, remove the piles of fallen branches, leaves, and Spanish moss around the house. Our little house is still standing, and apart from a leak in the bedroom and wet floor in the entry room, nothing is damaged.

The above will keep me busy for a few more days, so please pardon my continued absence...
Commissarka Pinkie wrote:
Ivan Betinov wrote: Has anyone heard from Pinkie of late?
Thank you, Betinov! I'm here and in one piece. My house was built in 2005 to withstand a Category 3 hurricane. After some discussion, we decided to hunker down instead of evacuating to kinfolk in south Georgia, where their house is almost 50 years old and probably couldn't withstand Sherman's march.

Irma passed just to our east, by which time she was down to a Cat 1. Miraculously, we did not lose power! (The kinfolk in GA lost theirs for three days.) That was probably my biggest fear, and we consider ourselves extremely fortunate, especially when so many others in FL are still waiting for theirs to come back on.

I was actually teary-eyed with relief and gratitude to God the next morning, to be able to brew some hot coffee and enjoy the A/C and turn on the TV and log onto the internet to see what else was going on out there. I've had my share of misfortune and heartbreak over the years, and like to think the Man Upstairs decided to cut me some slack this time.

We welcome both comrades back to the real Next Tuesday!™

Red Square wrote:Mr. and Mrs. Red Square reporting for duty. We came back to civilization in Florida (where there is power, Internet, cell service, etc.) last night, but there's still a lot of work to unpack, clean, remove the piles of fallen branches, leaves, and Spanish moss around the house. Our little house is still standing, and apart from a leak in the bedroom and wet floor in the entry room, nothing is damaged.

[OFF]

Excuse me Comrade Red, but my North-of-the-Mason-Dixon butt isn't buying the "Florida is civilization" story. How do I know this? ALLIGATORS! HURRICANES! MIAMI!

In all seriousness, glad you're safe. Though I wasn't worried a bit about you. I thought "He was smart enough to get the hell out of the Sowjet Union, he sure as hell is smart enough to get the hell out of Florida."