"RAHM'S RETARDED MOMENT", or "THE PC POLICE"

Rahm Emmanuel Retarded Comment Draws Harsh Criticism

Rahm Apologizes For Privately Calling Liberal Activists Retarded

Emmanuel Meets With Shriver After F-ing Retarded Comment

Rahm's Apology Accepted, At Last

Image I haven't done a good ProgOn lately, but that's because I suck at life. This week's ProgOff is important not for the content, but rather for the social and political implications contained within. At a strategy session a few months ago, Rahm Immanuel called a Democratic Party plan to launch attack ads targeting conservative Democrats for not supporting President Obama's health care plan "f-ing retarded." This netted criticism from across the political spectrum, but most notably from Sarah Palin. After what could only be called a media show trial, Immanuel called Tim Shriver, the head of the Special Olympics, to issue an apology. Leaders of several disability groups, including Shriver, later met with Immanuel to discuss the importance of good language. For me, this raised several questions detailed below.

Is "retarded", used in this context, actually meant to disparage the mentally challenged? While some people, especially those close to people with disabilities, might view the remark as disparaging, the intent to disparage is not there. "Retarded" and "gay" are colloquially used to signify things that are "stupid" or "bad". In the sentence, "The parking lot is full; that's gay," one could hardly argue that the presence of cars in a parking lot has anything to do with homosexuality. However, it is understandable that those in these groups might object that part of their lives has come to signify something negative. Though not intended to demean, the words can have a negative affect. As a society, we tend to focus on impact rather than intent.

What else could he have said? Perhaps Mr. Immanuel could have said that the plan to attack conservative Democrats was idiotic. The word "idiot" defines a category of mentally handicapped people. Maybe he could have said the plan was foolish. "Fool" also defines someone with a mental disability. What if he had said dumb? One who is "dumb" is someone who cannot speak and is thus disabled. These, however, likely would not have caused the same controversy because they have been adapted to merely signify something or someone who is stupid or ignorant. If we continue to fight this War on the English Language, we may have to resort to using terms like "double plus un-good" to avoid offense.

Is our focus on political correctness useful? If one wishes to grant all citizens their 21st century right to "freedom from offense," such political correctness might be a worthwhile cause. There seems to be a disingenuous quality to claims of PC violations. Alinsky's "Rules for Radicals" educates young organizers on the value of polarizing and personalizing issues to defeat opponents. Such Alinskyite tactics have been Democratic Party staples for years. Republicans seem to be using their own weapons against them by polarizing and personalizing this issue and putting Immanuel on the defense. It's effectiveness is self-evident in the fact that none of the ensuing dialogue has focused on the greater question of conservative Democrats and their role in the quest for mandated health insurance. Instead, the focus is on Immanuel and something he said. It may seem that I have fallen victim to this ploy as well in writing this post, but I do it willingly to prove a point. Are people truly "offended", or are they exploiting the situation to meet a political end?

Does saying sorry make it better? Apologizing to the leader of a group supporting a group of people one has offended is now a normative reaction in our society. Made a racist comment? No problem. Just apologize to Al Sharpton. Offend someone with a mental handicap? Just apologize to the head of the Special Olympics. This is disturbing on several levels. Firstly, this oversimplification only serves to reinforce stereotypes and viewing people as groups rather than individuals. Many black people are appalled by the thought that Al Sharpton is supposed to be representative of their "race" and find it ludicrous that apologizing to one black man is supposed to end race troubles. Many do not consider themselves to be Sharpton's children. Secondly, what do the Special Olympics have to do with it? Sarah Palin was offended by the remark, not the athletes. Why not apologize to her? Some with mental disabilities have no problem with people using the word "retarded" and understand that it is not being used to talk about them. While it is nobel for these group leaders to advocate for fair treatment, it becomes overkill when they enter the realm of "race hustlers" or "disability hustlers." These groups should not think (nor is it possible) that they represent every individual with the same characteristics as the ones they attempt to defend. How can one person represent the hopes, dreams, and aspirations of an entire cross section of society in every matter? Are people not more than their color or their health status? Thirdly, how does this apology change Mr. Immanuel? I'm sure this was not the first time he used the "R-word" as a pejorative. It probably won't be the last. The apology merely serves as public shaming in an attempt to escape the star chamber unscathed and still employed.

When our entire national discourse is limited to "who is offended on behalf of the masses" or when our rights groups become so narrowly focused as to believe that everything is a slight against them, perhaps we need to reexamine the utility and the value of the PC Police. Perhaps now that the tables have turned, some in the Democratic Party will do just that. Though in light of the lackluster response to Vice President Biden's "negro dialect" comment, I won't get my hopes up just yet.

-Commissar Obamissar Vodkavich

<prog>

Being "retarded" is a term used not so many years ago without any flinching, before we were overrun with the 'stupidity' of political correctness. Personally, I see nothing wrong in saying "retarded"; it's not a slur in and of itself, it is simply a word with a definition. Saying "retard" is a derogatory slur. Personally, I find throwing around the "f" word more distasteful, but that's me.
The point here is, this is WHO Emmanuel IS as a personally - disrespectful, crude, radical liberal. Or so it appears from his many comments & actions over the years. And he represents Pres. Obama (spit spit). If this remark had been made a Republican, I have little doubt he'd be removed from his position.
We have to admit, we don't have much "free speech" left. Words and terms have become condemned & thereby controlled by the PC Police. We have to use alphabet letters or code-speak to communicate. It's all silly.

[ off ]Over the years I've heard <i>lots</i> of slurs against gays, and not a single one of them was intended to hurt or wound.

Q. Is it better to be black or to be gay?
A. Black. You don't have to tell your parents.

Meaning of course that anyone can tell a fag joke without having the slightest idea that you might take offense. This was some years ago when no one was out except in a few gay ghettos.

I take the viewpoint that if I am meant to be offended, I'll take the intent. What other rational choice is there? If I hear someone make an unpleasant gay comment either I'll ignore it, cough politely and tell him the situation (but it's hard to do without making the other person want to sink through the floor), or in an extreme case use it as information about that person.

But permitting people to claim offense without reason is a recipe for moral thuggery, which is what is happening now. A perfect example is the man who said, "niggardly" and a black man raised such a ruckus that that man lost his job. The complainer should have been the one to lose his job, not knowing that word.

Off

I've been running into this a lot as of late. It seems that any time I try to speak some truth, real truth not the current type, someone gets offended. I even deleted a lot of people from my friends list on Facebook because they are of the thin skinned persuasion. The PC crowd has been very effective in cutting off debate by gaining control of the language. If you control the language, it's a short step from controlling thought. I know that the folks here at The Cube know that, as the clever use of language was what drew me here and keeps me checking in everyday.

We really do need to reclaim our language. My children are reading old books and my wife and I have begun to educate them more about American history, ideals and traditions. I guess we'll have to spend more time on the language. They really do need to understand context and intent.

By the way, I really appreciate The Cube. I stop by frequently and get a laugh as well as an education. The writing here is the best anywhere and I tell people about it all the time. Keep up the good work! I only hope that I will be able to contribute something worthy of the "collective".

Dr., when you find your own little thing to be offended by, by all means share it in a People's Blog article. I personally alternate. My mood goes from getting offended, being offended, shrieking about how offended I am, and then collecting either money or bows or obeisance from it, for that's the reason for taking offense, isn't it?

In a PC world we are always on the offense.

Personally I love getting pissed off. It lets me know that I'm alive, which is a good thing because I've had so many trips to Jiffy-Lobo that my head is about #2 lighter than when I was in college. I'm afraid that I went to a college which actually taught me useful and quantifiable things, and so had to learn to fly into a towering rage over the drop of a hat was a skill that I acquired later on in life.

Commissar,

Working in the gulag let's me know I'm alive. Being pissed off is a thought crime and will only bring on more work. Say 7 Hail Obamas and pick up your shovel. And don't allow the soldiers in the towers to go into a rage. Those guns can spit out 30 rounds in the time it takes for a hat to drop.

Dr., proper rage is required. We must rage against the Man--as we are the Man. If we can get people angry then it will drown out everything else, including their self-preservation. Anger is the strongest of emotions, able to destroy all others. So let's use anger.

After all, Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton both did something right, to have that much power with utterly no morals or scruples or anything really to sell.

In the land of the free and the home of the brave, a man must look around to make sure the coast is clear, then lean close and lower his voice before telling an off color joke.

Comrades rejoice, we've imprisoned everyone in their own personal gulag we call PC.

And we must be careful lest we sexually harass a female comrade by saying that she looks good today.

Or holding a door open for her. (True.)

Commissar Theocritus wrote:[ off ]
Q. Is it better to be black or to be gay?
A. Black. You don't have to tell your parents.
o m g, that is so funny! May I quote you?

I don't think most people trying to be 'offensive'... just communicate. Some are better at it than others, no doubt. But as a society, too many seem eager to FIND something to be offended about. I believer we'd be better off to take less offense at words and work at communicating and laughing at ourselves.

Commissar,

Such sage advice. I will begin to work on my anger as it is useful in tearing down.

Commissar Theocritus wrote:Dr., proper rage is required. We must rage against the Man--as we are the Man. If we can get people angry then it will drown out everything else, including their self-preservation. Anger is the strongest of emotions, able to destroy all others. So let's use anger.

After all, Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton both did something right, to have that much power with utterly no morals or scruples or anything really to sell.

[ off ]Fraulein, perhaps I ought to distinguish between take offense and be hurt. There is a use for taking offense, once in a great while, when someone has deliberately decided to insult you. I'm told that the escalation is, after hearing a crack like that is,

"I'm sorry?"

And if it's repeated.

"I <i>beg</i> your pardon?"

And if it's repeated again,

"How DARE you!"

This is when someone is insistent on you taking offense.

One can be hurt, however, quite unintentionally by people that you're close to making cracks that they have no idea about. Nothing's meant by it; they would never say those things knowingly.

I try to consider the intent. Once I knew a girl named Chyrel, who worked for me nearly 20 years ago. I'd put my foot in my mouth over something dumb and she'd say, "I know what you're trying to say." And we'd go on.

I liked her. Texas ranch girl.

Commissar Obamissar V wrote: I haven't done a good ProgOn lately, but that's because I suck at life.

I DENOUNCE COMRADE VODKAVICH FOR DISPARAGING REMARKS ABOUT VACUUM CLEANERS!

Commissar Theocritus wrote:[ off ]
... A perfect example is the man who said, "niggardly" and a black man raised such a ruckus that that man lost his job. The complainer should have been the one to lose his job, not knowing that word.

I remember reading about that. I believe a Judge and councilman were offended by the term and demanded an apology . . . proving they didn't even know the meaning of the word. As far as I know, they never apology for their ignorance or embarassing the white man in question, who had no intent. He was simply using a legitimate word.
Whether offensive or hurtful, intent must be considered. Most of the time, I think, there is no real intent to be personal harm, just a lack of judgment or a silly human mistake.

Comrade Whoopie wrote:In the land of the free and the home of the brave, a man must look around to make sure the coast is clear, then lean close and lower his voice before telling an off color joke.

Comrade Whoopie

You have it wrong: It should be, "In the land of the free and the home of the brave, a man must look around to make sure the coast is clear, then lean close and lower his voice before telling a joke of color."

Amandla

Obamugabe

Fraulein, in many cases there is no intent to hurt but the race and gender and sexuality hustlers <i>do</i> intend to hurt.

I knew something like this would happen decades ago when I first heard the phrase "conscious raising." It's odd but I've had gut reactions to some phrases dating back to high-school days and I've been right. It may have taken me 30 years to explain what was wrong, but I was right.