Science proves individuals are not

From The Guardian:

Who, dear reader, do you think you are? Do you think your mind is capable of independent judgment and largely directs the course of your life? Do you think that most of your decisions in life have been the product of your rational, conscious self? Do you believe you are in control of your life? Do you cherish ideas such as self-expression, a sense of autonomy and a distinct, self-authored identity? The chances are that, albeit with a few qualifications, most of your answers are yes. Indeed, given a pervasive culture which reinforces all these ideas, it would be a bit odd if you didn't.

But the point about this new explosion of interest in research into our brains is that it exposes as illusions much of these guiding principles of what it is to be a mature adult. They are a profound misunderstanding of how we think, and how our brains work. They are fairytales, about as fanciful and as implausible as goblins...

This humbling evidence of our hopeless decision-making exposes consumer capitalism as not being about millions of independent decisions of individuals expressing unique identities, but about how social norms can be manipulated to create eager shoppers. Or take the idea of introducing choice into public services; some bizarre consequences will result, such as the popularity of a hospital being determined by whether it has a car park, not the skill of medical staff.

Thereare two other areas of this new brain research which are arguably more important. First, we have much underestimated the social nature of the brain: how primed it is to recognise, interpret and respond all the time to the input of others and how that lays down patterns which govern our behaviour. We are herd-like animals who show a strong tendency to conform with group norms; what makes our brains so much bigger than other primates is this remarkable capacity for social skills such as empathy, co-operation and fairness. Instead of the old metaphor of individuals as discrete entities like billiard balls, we need to think instead of them as nodes in a relationship network.

The second area of astonishing discoveries is in the plasticity of the brain. We talk of "hardwiring" (computers have generated many misleading metaphors for the brain) but in fact, the brain can be changed. Parts of the brain can learn entirely new tricks. Neural pathways are not fixed, and even much of the damage done by deprivation in childhood can be repaired with the right circumstances of example,support and determination. We can shape our own brains to create new habits that we might have thought we were not capable of – it's a long,hard process but it is possible.

This all may seem remote from politics, but it's not. Jon Cruddas has a habit of startling audiencesby arguing that the regeneration of the left requires a convincing new account of what it is to be human. Are human beings self-interested creatures or are they collaborative? The right's argument for market capitalism is rooted in the former but the research on the social brain supports the latter. Put crudely, we are social creatures with an inbuilt tendency to co-operate and seek out each other's approval and that is probably more important in determining day-to-day behaviours than narrowly conceived self-interest.

In a thought-provoking pamphlet on the implications for politics to be published early next month, Matt Grist, who runs the RSA's Social Brain project, concludesthat both the right and the left have lessons to learn. The rightwing emphasis on the individual's capacity to triumph over their environment through willpower is undermined by the research which shows how childhood deprivation leaves such scarring on the brain. While the challenge to the left is to recognise that the myopic tendencies of the brain to privilege the short term has been held in check by institutions and traditions which can safeguard longer-term interests.Perhaps that requires greater understanding on the left of how such institutions operate and a revision of assumptions about why they restrict individual autonomy.(emphasis mine)

Hooray! Science has proven what we progs have always known: all individuals are mindless proles incapable of taking care of themselves and must be enslaved guided by the Party.

Image So, to summarize--and obviously, the facts are in, the scientific debate in this area, like that of man-made global warming, is over--individual responsibility is OUT; the nanny state is IN.

As one commenter to the article notes, "Fascists everywhere are going to love this...."

How convenient all this is for the left to have "scientific evidence" that the ultimate "enlightenment" for the human species is to evolve into the Borg!

My hapless little brain can't help wondering though, about all those compassionate and loving individual leftists jockying for control over the very institutions that "safeguard our longer-term interests" (read: do what's best for you even if you don't think it is). What about their lack of decision-making skills? Aren't they "lazy, imitative, over-optimistic, myopic" with "much of [their]decision-making..made by unconscious habits of the mind which are largely socially primed" too?

My comrades

I have always believed in the supremacy of science. Man is but an animal, and a herd animal at that. Such are the conclusions of your brilliant new Kommissar of Kontrol. (I hate it when comrades are called Czars. Can you think of a bigger insult than to be named after the imperialist enemy of the people that was deposed by the great Bolshevik Revolution?)

Cass Sunstein rightly teaches that Man is but an Animal. Whatever rights humans have, animals shall have too. And if it is not wrong for animals to be slaughtered, it is not wrong for humans to be slaughtered either.

Such is the legacy of our great porphet Chuck Darwin.

This man will provide your Obamessiah with the scientific and moral foundation to end the debate on slaughtering the undeserving masses of this world so that only the pure and deserving will emerged purged from the fiery furnace.

At last you in the USSA will be able to morally engage in abortion (Getting rid of whole societies who do not deserve the blessings of the collective} Euthanasia (Getting rid of the sick, who cost money that should be utilized for the common good) and Genocide, one of the most important tools in our collective shed.

At last the USSA will be able to MORALLY get rid of Reactionary Swine like Beck and Limbaugh, the Jews, The Militia, your War Veterans (Who also cost too much, they have outlived their usefulness. There should be a law that all soldiers should die on the battlefield!) And of course, my personal pet group for early extermination: The Homosexuals!

Cass Sunstein: Humans are only animals, therefore Animals have Rights and Humans can be Slaughtered!

Viva Viva Viva!!

Obamugabe.

PS: Our poor martyred comrade Van Jones believed the same: He repeatedly referred to "our brothers and sisters of other species"

Damn the reactionary swine!

Comrade Joe wrote: Image So, to summarize--and obviously, the facts are in, the scientific debate in this area, like that of man-made global warming, is over--individual responsibility is OUT; the nanny state is IN.

As one commenter to the article notes, "Fascists everywhere are going to love this...."

How convenient all this is for the left to have "scientific evidence" that the ultimate "enlightenment" for the human species is to evolve into the Borg!

My hapless little brain can't help wondering though, about all those compassionate and loving individual leftists jockying for control over the very institutions that "safeguard our longer-term interests" (read: do what's best for you even if you don't think it is). What about their lack of decision-making skills? Aren't they "lazy, imitative, over-optimistic, myopic" with "much of [their]decision-making..made by unconscious habits of the mind which are largely socially primed" too?

Absolutely, and history shows that the more insular and self-reinforcing the ruling cabal is, the worse the results seem to be (like the USSR and Nazi Germany, for instance.) And, to put an exclamation point on that conclusion, the current Beltway elite (including and especially the current Congress) is possibly the most clueless and tone-deaf bunch of d*ckheads it has ever been this country's misfortune to have in power.

I throw Barack Obama into that pile as he does not seem to have any ability or desire whatsoever to think beyond the crap he learned at Marxism U. But, he does seem to be convinced that he is the smartest man in the world, despite all the evidence to the contrary. This would seem to refute the author's point about the influence outside opinions have on the individual.

But let me take some of this article's conclusions to task: Yes, social norms can be manipulated to create eager shoppers (that's how we managed to get an empty suit in the Oval Office) but some people are more susceptible than others. This MUST be the case because 100% of the population is NOT in debt up to its eyeballs because they purchased a house full of junk (plus the house.) I'd have to say that with the wide variance shown in the way people spend their money, it's hard to conclude that people can be "manipulated" in any reliable and predictable way, short of all out constant brainwashing techniques.

The author comes to this conclusion:
"Or take the idea of introducing choice into public services; some bizarre consequences will result, such as the popularity of a hospital being determined by whether it has a car park, not the skill of medical staff.
So "choice" is a bad idea because some of the choices made seem "bizarre" to the writer; spoken like a true crypto-fascist. In point of fact, I don't think it's so "bizarre" to chose a hospital based on its proximity to a parking lot. Some people plain don't like driving around looking for a parking space. In point of fact, the "skill" of the medical staff is arguably a moot point; it is often in the eye of the beholder. What's more, for many routine medical procedures, the difference between one doctor and another is often a toss-up; as long as the physicians are competently trained, have decent reputations and haven't had a lot of malpractice cases lately, there may be little rational reason to chose one over the other. In which case, picking the one that is close to a parking lot is a rational way to settle the issue.

And finally, lots of folks will not agree with me on this (especially mainstream scientists) but I am certain of it: we are more than our brains. In my opinion, the brain does not generate consciousness, it simply reflects it or perhaps limits it. So they can study the brain all they want but I think it's only part of the story.