Security Is A Tricky Business

Twelve Soldiers Killed in Fort Hood Shooting - ABC News

The suspected gunman was identified by ABC News as Major Malik Nadal Hasan.

Twelve Soldiers Killed in Fort Hood Shooting - ABC News
Comments:

This is certain to propagate a flurry of airport security. TSA will leave no stone unturned in heroic efforts to secure public safety. We can not be certain where danger lies. Any of the above profiles propose potential threats to homeland security. It is indeed hard to tell. And we can not go by names: Ole Swenson? Matilda Milktoast? Malik Nadal Hasan? …security is a tricky business indeed.

(Why won't image resize stick? I drag shrink and they post full size) Some Capitalist saboteur has infiltrated the People's picture resizing facility.

I think this strengthens the call for gun control, Comrades. If guns were banned, this would have never happened.

Of course this would never happen. In Columbine 31 gun laws were violated. If we'd had just one more, nothing would have happened.

The problem isn't the number of gun laws violated comrades, but the fact there are guns! They are evil things and make a person want to go and shoot people. It's all the gun's fault! Only appropriate government authorities and the military can be trusted with guns.... oh wait. Crap.

7.62, either you're part of the solution or you're part of the problem.

That's bug-shit stupid, of course, but then it sounds good and any prog worth his salt will eat that one with a spoon.

Comrade Theo, I'm doing my part to be the solution. Why as of my last count, I have taken 13 evil guns, and about 2500 rounds of ammunition out of general circulation. Not to mention three bayonets, a combat knife, an air force survival knife, a bowie knife (illegal in Texas, most progressive. Look it up, you'll be surprised!) and a few other evil blades of assorted types and size. Oh and a machete. Something everyone living on a sailboat needs. Anyway, I have taken this burden upon myself to ensure that these many rifles, shotguns, handguns and blades be kept away from The Children(TM) and safely stored on my boat.

[ off ]I am embarrassed. How could a Bowie knife, of all things, be illegal in Texas? Jim Bowie? <i>Bowie</i>?

I can't remember if I've asked you if you've been to the Alamo, where Bowie died. The fierce little Daughters of the Texas Republic ladies don't have to tell people not to talk. It's a holy place, and I'm an atheist.

There is in the nave a semicircular array of bronze plaques with the names of the people who died. I read them all. One name at a time, trying not to make sounds.

A holy place.

And for what it's worth, half of the DTR are Mexican-American. San Antonio is a city which just seems to work. One of my favorites.

I never made it out of Howard County, except for a trip or two to Midland sad to say. An ancestor of mine though, one John M. Hensley was at the rear guard in Harrisburg during the battle of San Jacinto and was part of the "Old 300". His son was a cavalry soldier in the War Between The States.

When I lived in Big Spring, I had a few folks try and call me "Yankee" and generally try to give me shit. I hate pulling the ancestor card, but when I sat down with these good old boys and explained MY Texan heritage, and learned none of them had roots going back that far in Texas.... well all of a sudden I got treated a heck of a lot better. Nothing like living in Texas and having an ancestor who had Travis as the family lawyer.

One great great great great great grandfather was born in Maryland in 1695; the other side only is traceable to 1774, also in Maryland. I'm first generation Texan. I feel like I did during Carter--I'd trade lots of American blood for more Texas blood. Not perfect but not believing any of this Obashit either.

I'm a bit shocked that in Big Spring they'd treat you like a Yankee. I thought that stuff went out decades ago. In the 80s, like now, Texas is getting lots of Yankees and in general there's just not a problem. It's been years since I've seen a bumper sticker saying, "If you heart NY, then take I-20 east."

In 1983 the service department of the place where I bought my Toyota Supra (now that was a crumpet collector) had, "Welcome to Texas. We hold you enjoy it here. But we don't care how you did it in Michigan." That was about the worst that I heard.

Well it was only two or three jerks, the rest of the people were great.