Sweden's welfare state at heart of final election debate

Sweden's welfare state at heart of final election debate
by Nina Larson Nina Larson – Fri Sep 17, 6:46 pm ET

STOCKHOLM (AFP) – The future of Sweden's famous welfare state was a central theme when the country's main political party chiefs met late Friday for a final televised election debate.

The hottest issue leading up to Sunday's general elections -- the far-right(?) Sweden Democrats expected entrance into parliament and possible role as kingmakers after the vote -- was meanwhile barely touched upon in the debate.

"I am not against cutting taxes, but not at any price," Social Democrat leader Mona Sahlin, who is vying to become Sweden's first woman prime minister, said during the two-hour debate on public television.

"What is needed now is not more tax cuts for those of us who already have the most," said Sahlin, insisting Sweden should invest in its welfare state, which she argued had been severely weakened by four years of centre-right(?) rule.

FULL STORY

Compare that with what we are hearing in the USSA.

Yes, we don't want a weak welfare state. I'd say plenty of unemployment funding should fix it. This would be the Pelosi Strategy ™ and it has done wonders in the USA. I really resent the mishandling of Capitalism. It has seriously hurt the funding sources of our thriving welfare states world wide.

I think the author of the original article, Comerade Nina Larson, deserves special recognition for a most equal article: it discussed the issue of the welfare state without a single significant mention of evil right-wing demagoguery.

And a story about OLD commies-

Carter: Kennedy delayed health care

By ANDY BARR | 9/16/10 3:48 PM EDT Updated: 9/17/10 8:40 AM EDT
Politico

Former President Jimmy Carter says the late Sen. Ted Kennedy (D-Mass.) is to blame for delaying the implementation of health care reform for 30 years.

In an interview with CBS's “60 Minutes,” Carter says that health care reform during his presidency fell through because Kennedy killed the bill.

“The fact is that we would have had comprehensive health care now, had it not been for Ted Kennedy's deliberately blocking the legislation that I proposed,” Carter said of the senator who died last year.

“It was his fault. Ted Kennedy killed the bill,” Carter added, blaming a political feud between the then-titans of Democratic politics. “He did not want to see me have a major success in that realm of life.”

CBS posted part of the interview on Thursday, [highlight=#ffff00]the full story will air Sunday[/highlight].

Full Story

After all these years, it is nice to be reminded why I hated Carter's guts. He was, and still is an idiot.

Jimmy-Carter.jpeg

I denounce comrade Nina for her reprehensible lack of publicly funded conjecture when it is obvious to any correct thinker that the subversive element of the evil right-wing demagogue drips from the headline like the rancid spittle of the traitor to the nation, Glen Beck. She should offer a public apology to all progressive peoples and throw herself on the mercy of the benevolent court of public opinion. Nina Larson, you are a polluting capitalist lackey!

Eujennya wrote:I think the author of the original article, Comerade Nina Larson, deserves special recognition for a most equal article: it discussed the issue of the welfare state without a single significant mention of evil right-wing demagoguery.

Cutting taxes???? Feh, if you want to encourage people to work you shoud RAISE TAXES! People do not want to work unless they know their salaries will be heavily taxed and the money distributed to people who don't feel like working and overpaid government bureaucrats. This is the absolute truth! Thousands and thousands of studies have shown this and millions of economists believe this!

I personally have been collecting unemployment checks for years under various aliases even though I could have had many high-paying jobs. But, I will not take any of these well-paying positions until we have social justice with 95% marginal tax rates for the highest earners such as myself. My conscience will simply not let me make lots of money while my fellow Amerikkkans are starving. If that means I will have to collect more unemployment checks under different aliases for years longer, so be it.