Jessie: "Why, to wear, of course."
Gertrude: "But you haven't got a bicycle!"
Jessie: "No, but I've got a sewing machine!"

Circa 1895
[/indentr]

And ends with a big one!

man_woman.jpg

My goodness, Comrade Craptek,

While I'm sitting here typing, I really don't know what to say, even though I am actually saying something. Does that make any sense?

This is quite a Conundrum, isn't it?
The definition of “conundrum” may, itself, explain this phenomenon. (But, don't count on it.)
I hope this isn't too boring but, it's all I can come up with. If you want to skip to the nitty gritty, scroll down to the "Did You Know?" part.

Full Definition of conundrum
1. 1 : a riddle whose answer is or involves a pun2 a : a question or problem having only a conjectural answer b : an intricate and difficult problem
2. Examples of conundrum in a sentence
1. … giving parents a wealth of educational options sometimes presents a familiar inner-city conundrum: What if all your choices are bad ones? —Katherine Boo, New Yorker, 9 Apr. 2001
2. Mention of poor eyes and good eyes brings me to the creationist's favorite conundrum. What is the use of half an eye? —Richard Dawkins, River Out of Eden, 1995
3. The explanation of this conundrum is to be heard, at this very moment, on certain surreptitious radio waves, on which the voice of the American convert Bilal is … transmuted into the thunderous speech of the Imam himself. —Salman Rushdie, Harper's, December 1988
4. <the conundrum of how an ancient people were able to build such massive structures without the benefit of today's knowledge and technology>

Did You Know?
The exact origin of conundrum isn't known with certainty. What is known is that the word has been in use since the early 1600s, and that it had various spellings, such as conimbrum, quonundrum, conuncrum, and quadundrum, before the current spelling was finally established sometime in the mid-17th century. One theory of origin suggests that the word was coined as a parody of Latin by students at Oxford University, where it appears to have enjoyed particular popularity in its "word play" or "pun" sense. While the prevalent sense in this century is that of the seemingly unanswerable question or problem, frequently applied to heady dilemmas involving ethics, sociology, or economics, the word is sometimes so loosely applied to anything enigmatic as to be synonymous with puzzle or mystery.

Gee, I hope this helps. ; • )

Pamalinsky wrote:My goodness, Comrade Craptek,

[highlight=#FFFF00]Gee, I hope this helps. ; • )[/highlight]

I see, I think...

When I was in high school, before Common Core, I had a teacher who was absolutely enamored with the idea of “concepts.” I remember him well because, at the tender age of 17, I thought he was a jerk. I remember thinking, “This guy is trying to tell us how smart he is by letting us know how great “concepts” are.

At no time did he give us any concepts whatsoever. He just thought it was smart to let us know that “concepts” exist. Maybe he had something going there but, I thought he was a jerk.

It would have been instructive if he gave us an example of at least one concept. Nope! He never did.

His message was, “Concepts are cool. In fact, they make you sound intelligent, no matter what they are."

Comrade Craptek, Politruk Craptek,

What's obvious here is the glorious fervor you possess for the 71 different gender choices we have to make for ourselves every single second of every single day. Keep up the good work comrade and maybe soon you will be promoted to "Politruk Craptek".

Love,
Red Walrus

FORWARD

Red Walrus wrote:Comrade Craptek, Politruk Craptek,

What's obvious here is the glorious fervor you possess for the 71 different gender choices we have to make for ourselves every single second of every single day. Keep up the good work comrade and maybe soon you will be promoted to "Politruk Craptek".

Love,
Red Walrus

FORWARD

I will admit it's quite a strain to hold it all together, but I try, dear Comrade... I do my best.

Pamalinsky wrote:When I was in high school, before Common Core, I had a teacher who was absolutely enamored with the idea of “concepts.” I remember him well because, at the tender age of 17, I thought he was a jerk. I remember thinking, “This guy is trying to tell us how smart he is by letting us know how great “concepts” are.

At no time did he give us any concepts whatsoever. He just thought it was smart to let us know that “concepts” exist. Maybe he had something going there but, I thought he was a jerk.

It would have been instructive if he gave us an example of at least one concept. Nope! He never did.

His message was, “Concepts are cool. In fact, they make you sound intelligent, no matter what they are."

They say that "Those that can do. Those that can't teach." If concepts are just ideas that haven't been put into action, then this is a confirmation of the aforementioned phrase. Just a thought.