A Time When We Were All Blue States

Thanks for a lesson in history that some of us (let's not point fingers) are in need of.

On a different note, when did the color switch occur and the Democrats lost their affiliation with red and slipped it to the GOP?

1984, Comrade Red Square -- according to this ABC clip. It is fun for me, being a young person and all, to be able to watch these old election night broadcast. I really enjoy seeing the Dims and the MSM using the same talking-points they use today twenty-four years ago. The CHANGE we can believe in!

Here is Part II of the ABC 1984 coverage, Comrade Red Square, with a younger George Will and a, err, Barbara Walters:

Meow, thank you. Seeing that old footage of Walter Kronkite made me realize that even in 1980 there was a life-support system for an empty suit and it was being the CBS anchor. And they were so successful that they did the same for the empty suit named Dan Rather. And wait. There's Katie Couric. I swear those are generous people to support all those empty suits.

I also love the trajectory of these people. Baba Wawa went from inane, pretentious blather on election coverage to inane, pretentious blather on a daytime bitching program. I still recall with great fondness her interview on the day of Diana's death. They hauled her out of her coffin in the East Hamptons, which she told us, twice, lest we forget, to tell us of how Di asked her advice on handling fame and how she, the Great Ali Baba gave it, lo, unto her. This jumped up woman with lip botox avant le lettre giving advice to the oldest dynasty on earth.

Also did you get the old pink, er, disappointed progressive who was sniffing that although Reagan had the electoral vote, until he got 60% (a number hauled out his ass), it just wasn't a landslide. So there. And your mother too.

I recall in 1994 watching Dan Rather and Bob Schieffer calling the Congressional elections. "Bob, is there any way that the Democrats can hold the Senate since only Oregon is still out?"

"Why, yes, Dan. We'll just admit Japan and Sahlakin Island and the Viet Nam to the US. And Guam. And American Samoa. And each American Samoan wrestler is worth two Senators, you'll see. I know it can be done. The Democrats <i>will</i> keep the Senate. It's their <i>right</i> I'm going to wear my tin-foil hat on my ass until they do it!"