Capitalists Infiltrate our Public Schools

It's time for a purge of the State ofFlorida's HR department. I demand to know who approved the hiring of Jeff Spires, a capitalist extortionist, who took CA$H from his students in exchange for giving them better grades.

Misc. (i.e., miscreant) Spires, a teacher atCharlotteCountyHigh School in Charlotte County, Florida, is the ultimate ‘Effingham'.

According to ABC News,“One unidentified junior reported paying the teacher as much as $40 at a time on two separate occasions in exchange for improving a couple of grades on his quizzes and tests. The student ended the quarter with a B, when he actually deserved a C for his work, the school found.”

It gets even worse, ABC News tells us: “A senior also paid $15 and $30 for his grade to be improved on a quiz, officials found. However, the money did not impact his quarter grade.” How low can you get Misc. Jeff ‘Effingham' Spires? This infiltrator's entrepreneurial attempt to “cash-in” on a pedagogical black market is one of the most reprehensible acts of exploitation in history.

The fact that he was a simple, high school teacher does not excuse him. Time-honored tradition holds that a student, who wishes to improve her/his grade, must get extra credit. I've made many arrangements over the years to ensure that my students had opportunities for extra credit.

To see how a true professional does it at the university level, read the last few paragraphs of my article on grade-point redistribution.

For the ABC article, see:

Report: Math Teacher Let Students Buy Grades

Doc, I give you article a C+, but for a couple of bucks, that might change....

I would have thought that inflation would have increased the cost of academic bribery. I remember paying far more than $30 for a grade bump years ago. No wonder educational professionals are complaining about austerity. I believe an Occupy Jimmy's locker is in order.

Ivan Betinov wrote:Doc, I give you article a C+, but for a couple of bucks, that might change....
*whispers* Hey Betinov, keep this sub rosa... How many greenbacks would it take to get that C+ up to an A?

Y'know, I really like a few leaves of arugula in my italian sandwiches, but the way the price of arugula has be going up, it's just criminal. I hear in some places it goes for like $25 per leaf. I like about four leaves per sandwich, and if I were feeling peckish, I'd probably nosh on a couple of sandwiches while regrading that article.