It's FOR THE CHILDREN, Comrades

Thanks to Moonbattery for the article...
Comrades, I nominate Comrade Montag as Obamissar of Fire Departments!!

City-Journal wrote:It's hard to believe, but true: under a law Congress passed last year aimed at regulating hazards in children's products, the federal government has now advised that children's books published before 1985 should not be considered safe and may in many cases be unlawful to sell or distribute. Merchants, thrift stores, and booksellers may be at risk if they sell older volumes, or even give them away, without first subjecting them to testing—at prohibitive expense.

I just came back from my local thrift store with tears in my eyes! I watched as boxes and boxes of children's books were thrown into the garbage! Today was the deadline and I just can't believe it! Every book they had on the shelves prior to 1985 was destroyed! I managed to grab a 1967 edition of “The Outsiders” from the top of the box, but so many!

-OV

Darn it all! People need to learn trash isn't trash! It's just not being used by the right person!What we should do is take those book and make them required reading in our publik skools!

Because it is for the Children and just to be on the safe side, I threw my copy of "Obama's Little Blue Book" on the burn pile as well!

You're fuggin' with us, right, man? This is satire, right?

Click.

Twitch.

It's now time to invoke the name of my favorite Kung-Fu Theater hero, Ho-Lee Chit.

You want to know why the year 1985 was so important? It was a major turning point in the Cold War. The final collapse of the Soviet Union happened on 31. Dec 1991, but long before then, it was a stagnant beast. When Gorby came to power in 11. March 1985, the end pretty much accelerated. He was the first General Secretary to be born after the Revolution, and thus had a different perspective than a lot of his harder-line-holding predecessors.

I also postulate that, since then, you started seeing our educational system really go downhill. My parents and their parents would probably say that the state of my schooling in the '80s was pretty crappy compared to theirs, but there has been a real noticeable decline since I graduated from High School in '88. The radicals from the '60s were becoming more and more numerous, implementing their agendas in the curriculum.

Start teaching the kids how (not) to think, and in a generation, you'll have sheep.

Character (Off)

1933....No it can never happen again!!!

Guess again

Well Comrades....off to the Gulag.
I committed a crime.

On Thursday, February 12th at 0800 hrs, I had my wife drop off a Golden Book copy of Abraham Lincoln, vintage 1969, to my surrogate twin grandchildren, ages 8, for the anniversary of the Great Emancipator's 200th Birthday.
I had received it when I was their age from my grandmother in the very house they now live in and in which I sold to their parents as executor of my grandma's estate. Their real grandfather died in uniform and I spoil them rotten (in a good way....that is until I read this today).
I shall make haste to call their parents immediately and we shall burn it today.
That, and my vintage first edition volumes of Churchill's The Second World War and A History of the English Speaking Peoples. Lenin knows that these books should never fall into their precious hands.
(I know what you're thinking Comrades..."Gasp! Churchill?"...it is not what you think! Know your ENEMY! I was studying this petty bourgoisie criminal's works to help in our struggle against the filthy capitalists!)
I'll try and find some tofu weenies plus some fair trade organic marshmallows and see if I can make myself right with The Party™ again.
After all, it is For The Children™.

Comrades,

How quickly the re-education For the Children(tm) will now take place. No worries about dissenting opinions if there is no book or text the government cannot remove..or re-issue in the politically correct version........

Excellent ,and a simple solution, as well. Many thanks to our comrades in China for their forsight in this matter. The rebellious bookseller need only appeal to the Administration for a bailout, and submit to the Party(tm) line. Otherwise, the Party(tm) need only shut her down....for the Good of the Children(TM)....

DESTROY ALL SMALL BUSINESS!....we cannot afford to let such rebellion spread....it's like a cancer on the Party's Five Year Plan!

Laika the Space Dog wrote:Well Comrades....off to the Gulag.
I committed a crime.

On Thursday, February 12th at 0800 hrs, I had my wife drop off a Golden Book copy of Abraham Lincoln, vintage 1969, to my surrogate twin grandchildren, ages 8, for the anniversary of the Great Emancipator's 200th Birthday.
I had received it when I was their age from my grandmother in the very house they now live in and in which I sold to their parents as executor of my grandma's estate. Their real grandfather died in uniform and I spoil them rotten (in a good way....that is until I read this today).
I shall make haste to call their parents immediately and we shall burn it today.
That, and my vintage first edition volumes of Churchill's The Second World War and A History of the English Speaking Peoples. Lenin knows that these books should never fall into their precious hands.
(I know what you're thinking Comrades..."Gasp! Churchill?"...it is not what you think! Know your ENEMY! I was studying this petty bourgoisie criminal's works to help in our struggle against the filthy capitalists!)
I'll try and find some tofu weenies plus some fair trade organic marshmallows and see if I can make myself right with The Party™ again.
After all, it is For The Children™.

Yeah, I guess that means most of my library needs to go--none of my Bibles (save one) were published before 1985--that includes Luther's 1534 and 1545 Bibles, the 1531 Bible of the Zürich Reformation, the copy of the Codex Teplensis that I preserved (one of probably less than 100 in existence)...geez, even the latest Luther revision I have, a 1984, falls under the ban. My Norwegian Bible from 1974 has to go, my Louis Segond French Bible also must go, even my Concordance!

Schaeffer's "How Shall We Then Live"--well, off to the burn heap with you!

Robert Bolt's "A Man For All Seasons"--ditto

Boccaccio's "Decameron" --bye bye!

And my entire collection of German literature (from Hartmann von Aue to Goethe to Hochhuth) that I saved from undergrad and grad school--kindling now.

Strangely enough, though, all my books on the Clinton Era by Bob Tyrell I can keep. Same with the copy of the Black Book of Communism that I bought a few weeks ago.

That and several science fiction novels I've bought over the years.

Well, Comrades. This MARX a sad day for The Party indeed. I never thought there would be a NEED for the denunciation of Comrades Laika or DDR, but the above posts speak for themselves. Perhaps the Commissar of Revision TRUTH (yes, I said Commissar- this issue is to important for a mere Obamissar) can sweep their confessions under the rug. Comrade Media, where are you when we need you most?!

[off]

Review of the document that led to the article I cited in this post left me HOPING against CHANGE that it was just an inflammatory, fear-mongering attempt to extrapolate and derive paranoia from two non-related pieces of legislation, but I fear it is not so. I think of all the glorious books I've read that were penned prior to 1985 and I realize this would be the end of the fantastic pieces that defined my childhood- even if only the books with "dangerous" picture paint were eliminated. It leaves me wondering if this made it though as only "feel-good" legislation, or if there was really malicious intent behind it. By the time The Children get to books such as these, they're generally beyond page-eating, but forget that. History must be eliminated in the name of progress. No Goethe? What the hell?!

DDR- another important event in 1985 was my birth. I was lucky enough to get my education in several relatively non-indoctrinal school districts, enrolled in numerous "accelerated" programs that encouraged free thought, development of thinking processes rather than installation of thought, and seeking enlightenment through independent research. I hope that is enough armor to defend me from the culture of today. I am still able to find indicators of indoctrination, however. One shining example is the colloquial synonymization of The New Deal with The End of THE GREAT DEPRESSION. Even the highly dubious Wikipedia cites WWII as the true end of the depression, though it also includes some insights into wealth distribution.

-OV

Wikipedia Dubious!? Great Stalin's Ghost, man! It can't be dubious! It's the People's Encyclopedia!

Dang, all those lead infested books I handled as a child (born in 1980) must have softened my brain so much, I didn't join The Party until just recently.