THE PATRIOT ACT IS NOW USED CORRECTLY

Finally, his O'liness and Frau Napolitana are using the patriot act against dangerous US citizens. I feel so much safer now. Hopefully, those that question the direction is being taken will now cease! I hope the re-education center in South Bend is equiped to train such insulate children. Especially since this boy is giving single mothers everywhere a bad name! BU$HITLER never used the Patriot act properly. Thanks be to THE ONE™!

HARUMPH!

Mom says Patriot Act stripped son of due process

Posted: Apr. 29, 2009
Oxford, N.C.

Sixteen-year-old Ashton Lundeby's bedroom in his mother's Granville County home is nothing, if not patriotic. Images of American flags are everywhere – on the bed, on the floor, on the wall.

But according to the United States government, the tenth-grade home-schooler is being held on a criminal complaint that he made a bomb threat from his home on the night of Feb. 15.

WATCH VIDEO
Teen's mom questions Patriot Act
The family was at a church function that night, his mother, Annette Lundeby, said.

"Undoubtedly, they were given false information, or they would not have had 12 agents in my house with a widow and two children and three cats," Lundeby said.

Around 10 p.m. on March 5, Lundeby said, armed FBI agents along with three local law enforcement officers stormed her home looking for her son. They handcuffed him and presented her with a search warrant.

"I was terrified," Lundeby's mother said. "There were guns, and I don't allow guns around my children. I don't believe in guns."

Lundeby told the officers that someone had hacked into her son's IP address and was using it to make crank calls connected through the Internet, making it look like the calls had originated from her home when they did not.

Her argument was ignored, she said. Agents seized a computer, a cell phone, gaming console, routers, bank statements and school records, according to federal search warrants.

"There were no bomb-making materials, not even a blasting cap, not even a wire," Lundeby said.

Ashton now sits in a juvenile facility in South Bend, Ind. His mother has had little access to him since his arrest. She has gone to her state representatives as well as attorneys, seeking assistance, but, she said, there is nothing she can do.

Lundeby said the USA Patriot Act stripped her son of his due process rights.

"We have no rights under the Patriot Act to even defend them, because the Patriot Act basically supersedes the Constitution," she said. "It wasn't intended to drag your barely 16-year-old, 120-pound son out in the middle of the night on a charge that we can't even defend."

Passed after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks on the U.S., the Patriot Act allows federal agents to investigate suspected cases of terrorism swiftly to better protect the country. In part, it gives the federal government more latitude to search telephone records, e-mails and other records.

"They're saying that 'We feel this individual is a terrorist or an enemy combatant against the United States, and we're going to suspend all of those due process rights because this person is an enemy of the United States," said Dan Boyce, a defense attorney and former U.S. attorney not connected to the Lundeby case.

Critics of the statute say it threatens the most basic of liberties.

"There's nothing a matter of public record," Boyce said "All those normal rights are just suspended in the air."

In a bi-partisan effort, Rep. Jerrold Nadler, D-N.Y., and Rep. Jeff Flake, R-Ariz., last month introduced in the U.S. House of Representatives a bill that would narrow subpoena power in a provision of the Patriot Act, called the National Security Letters, to curb what some consider to be abuse of power by federal law enforcement officers.

Boyce said the Patriot Act was written with good intentions, but he said he believes it has gone too far in some cases. Lundeby's might be one of them, he said.

"It very well could be a case of overreaction, where an agent leaped to certain conclusions or has made certain assumptions about this individual and about how serious the threat really is," Boyce said.

Because a federal judge issued a gag order in the case, the U.S. attorney in Indiana cannot comment on the case, nor can the FBI. The North Carolina Highway Patrol did confirm that officers assisted with the FBI operation at the Lundeby home on March 5.

"Never in my worst nightmare did I ever think that it would be my own government that I would have to protect my children from," Lundeby said. "This is the United States, and I feel like I live in a third world country now."

Lundeby said she does not think this type of case is what the Patriot Act was intended for. Boyce agrees.

"It was to protect the public, but what we need to do is to make sure there are checks and balances to make sure those new laws are not abused," he said.

1241042076-PatriotActTeen-400x300.jpg
Ashton Lundeby is being held under the USA Patriot Act on a criminal complaint that a bomb threat was made from his Oxford home the night of Feb. 15.
VideoOn The Web

Gotta keep those 16 year old terrorists down!

Colonel 7.62 wrote:Gotta keep those 16 year old terrorists down!

CONE

The libtards all whined about GWB doing this very thing to their ilk (and did it happen?) and now his O'liness is putting a juvenile away? This kid is a natural born citizen! I suppose he was Frau Janet's list of conservative terrorists.

Reiuxcat wrote:
Colonel 7.62 wrote:Gotta keep those 16 year old terrorists down!

CONE

The libtards all whined about GWB doing this very thing to their ilk (and did it happen?) and now his O'liness is putting a juvenile away? This kid is a natural born citizen! I suppose he was Frau Janet's list of conservative terrorists.

Comrade,

The state is simply doing its duty in reeducating this wayward youth that might still be turned away from the dark side.

The first step is to terrorize, 12 agents breaking the door down sounds about right, and the second is to isolate. The thought criminal being in Indiana with his mother 800 miles away is a good start.

It gives me a warm feeling knowing this thug is wondering if he will ever see his mother again.

Comrades, this is as stated the proper use of the Patriot Act by Progressives. We Progressives never attack anything which might hit back. We only attack people who won't.

That's why we attack the Xians, because they won't hit back. That's why we suck face, or worse, with the president of Iran, because he would hit back.

Some mean people have said those are the same characteristics as cowardice and I'd resent that if there weren't a mean-looking mouse in the room.

This whole thing smelled funny to me. I've been given the "Somebody hacked my account, Dad" excuse before and that the Patriot Act would even be necessary to make the arrest seemed off. Anyway, the truth always comes out:

'Patriot Act' Mom's Story Unravels

The kid also looks like a devious, smug punk in his picture.

Thus, Bill Clinton and Mr. Reno still hold the record for abuse of power. The Obamessiah will just have to try harder, but I'm sure he won't disappoint us in the end.

Dr. perhaps we ought to make book on just when His O'liness will overtake from Messrs. Clinton and Reno the title for king of abuse of power.

That is, if you forget that the dollar is a fungible unit of power. If you remember that, His O'liness took the world cake in the first week.

Yes, Vlad, I can't deny that. He's slicker than Slick Willy given that the prolies don't even comprehend yet that the State owns their money, houses, cars, the banks, the auto industry, and everything else within the fist magical 100 days of the New Camelot. ACORN will be running the US census in order to ensure future political power for the democrats. The controversial Sebelius virus was installed as HHS Secretary in a day after the sham swine flu pandemic with four- to five-fold inflated death rates reported for Mexico all while total global flu deaths for the year were still much lower than those from the avian flu for the previous year. Imagine the calls from the media of 'crazy wingnuts' had anybody suggested during the 2008 campaign that Obama was going to take over the auto industry and force them to convert SUV factories to make tiny electric cars. He and Rahm are definitely not letting a good crisis go to waste.
IT'S AN EMERGENCY!!!
<embed type='application/x-shockwave-flash' src='https://foxnews1.a.mms.mavenapps.net/mm ... bedded.swf' id='mediumFlashEmbedded' pluginspage='https://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer' bgcolor='#000000' allowScriptAccess='always' allowFullScreen='true' quality='high' name='undefined' play='false' scale='noscale' menu='false' salign='LT' scriptAccess='always' wmode='false' height='275' width='305' flashvars='playerId=videolandingpage&playerTemplateId=fncLargePlayer&categoryTitle=&referralObject=4728125&referralPlaylistId=playlist'>

Image I personally think that people who have been secure by no effort of their own (people who are secure by their own efforts never feel truly secure) <i>want</i> to be told what to do. That's when I ran. Too bad that I then believed in autonomous human dignity, but then that was projection.

People who have been secure by the efforts of others don't have the experience for anything else. This explains Code Pink, limousine liberals and other low forms of self-abasing life.

Most people are looking for a master. I'm not kidding. It's not in my personality but every single person that I've been involved with, male or female, wanted me to somehow order their lives. And so it is with the secular religion of the nanny state.

I am not religious but I mourn Christianity. Ever since the Reformation it has been, by far and large, a good thing. Jerry Falwell and the current pope's selling of indulgences notwithstanding. But a few bumps in the road don't mean that you don't get there.

People look for something which will save them the trouble of looking after themselves. If Barack Obama's Snake Oil seems palatable, then people will line up to buy it.

How many times have you experienced that judder in your mind when you subconsciously refused to look both ways before crossing some Rubicon. Sorry for the metaphor. But on the other side was something that you wanted and you had faith that it would work, and if it didn't you could handle it. This is all well and good when you're buying a car or a house. But when you're playing with your future?

America has a lot of people who are so comfortable, owing to the efforts of other people, that they are willing to listen to the blandishments of a man who is using crises to effect a secular redemption.

Salvation is escaping the consequences of your actions. In any religion, that's what it is. Liberalism is unlinking actions from consequences. If your salvation is a supernatural one, the your neighbor doesn't have to pay.

If your salvation is however a secular one, then <i>someone</i> here on earth must pay.