The People's Guide to the Mosin Nagant Rifle

After speaking to several worthy Comrades and a Commissar on the subject of the old Russian warhorse Mosin Nagant rifle, I have decided to prepare a quick primer (ha, get it; primer lol... oh never mind) on this rifle.

Currently one may find WWII surplus Mosins for $100-120 in many places. They are a stout and durable firearm, and one that can provide many hours of fun. I strongly encourage Comrades to check out Mosin Nagant.net and7.62x54r.net those two websites have nearly all the mosin and ammo info you'll ever need.

I will briefly touch on the major models and several things to look at for the mosin curious comrade.

The Mosin Nagant was one of the earliest rifles made for smokeless powder, and first appeared as the Model 1891 rifle. This is the one that all other future Mosins were based on. The basic design of receiver, magazine, and stock shape NEVER CHANGED from 1891 until the mid 1950's when the last mosins were made. Any variants are based off of this first design. Furthermore, the 7.62x54mm, rimmed cartridge has largely gone unchanged since 1891.

The size and types of bullets have varied over the last 100 some odd years, but the round is pretty much the same, and is still used by Russia and other nations in machine guns and sniper rifles. The Model 1891 is usually encountered either as a Finnish capture or rebuild, or as US made Remington or New England Westinghouse rifles. The US rifles were made under contract to the Czar, and many never left the country when The Revolution took place. In fact, the US Army purchased and issued many of these rifles to troops; designating the rifle Model of 1916. It was a rear guard rifle, early Expeditionary Force troops to France had some, and Allied troops sent to try and prop up the White Russians starting in 1919 carried them. Needless to say most if not all were left in Europe. They were not very popular with US soldiers. After the war, many were sold on the US surplus market. Due to major Soviet rebuild programs, it is highly unusual to find an intact and original Russian Model 91.

While several minor changes were made to the Model 1891 rifle over the years, including somewhat shorter "dragoon" lengths, as well as early carbine length rifles, the next major change came in 1930 with the Model 91/30 rifle. Shorter than a standard M91, and sporting different sights and a simplified trigger mechanism the 91/30 is perhaps the most commonly encountered Mosin today, and can be readily picked up for $100-$120 in many cases.Starting in the late 1930's the receiver design was changed from an octagon (improperly called a "hex" receiver, but the name has stuck so it's current truth) to a an easier to produce round one. Also this is when the Soviets began a massive program to create and equip their troops with sniper rifles. 91/30 sniper rifles come in three different scope configurations, with the last one; the PU variant being most common either as originals or as reproductions. At this time, an original PU sniper may be had for $800-$1000, while a quality replica built on a WWII surplus rifle in top quality condition and fitted with a reproduction scope and mount can be had for $400 or so. I have one and enjoy it.

4474161975_8763c0234b.jpg

My replica 91/30 PU sniper built on a 1943 Izhvesk Arsenal rifle with replica scope, surplus unissued mount, surplus sniper stock, and recently bent down bolt.

In 1938, a shorter length carbine version of the 91/30 was introduced. This was issued to artillerymen, drivers, or other soldiers who may not need a rifle on a regular basis, and certainly not the standard infantry configuration. This practice is common among army's , even to this day. In 1943 the design was modified with a side folding bayonet. 50,000 were produced in 1943 as prototypes, with full production and model designation beginning in 1944. These rifles were meant to replace the 91/30 as the standard infantry bolt action. However the SKS was first tested in 1945, and finally put into production in 1949, thus obsoleting the bolt action rifle. Ironically the SKS itself was obsolete when it hit production, although it would take 8 more years for the AK-47 to fully supplant it. The last 91/30 was made in 1945 (a rare year) with the last year of production being 1948. Poland, Hungary and Romania also made M44's in the early to mid 1950's.

One may also find standard 91/30 rifles cut down to carbine length. These are referred to as the Model 91/59 as that is when the conversion took place. It is not known why the soviets did this, or why some are scrubbed of all markings, or only marked 1891/59 which is a rather unusual marking for the Soviets on a rifle.

Briefly too, the Finns have made several very interesting variants of the Mosin. In all cases, they used captured Russian actions, and sometimes simply reissued a complete captured Russian rifle with a Finnish property stamp on it. In many other cases, they put new barrels, new stocks, different sights and better triggers on them. Many variants of Finnish Mosins exist, and I would encourage Comrades to examine the Finnish sections on the pages I linked to earlier. I own a Model 1891 Finnish rifle with a heavy two piece birch stock and a 1940 Tikka made barrel on it. The action itself was made in 1901 at the Tula arsenal in Russia. You will commonly find Model 91 Finns and their final (and often considered best) design the M39. Less commonly found and still highly desirable is the Model 27. You will also find many Remington or Westinghouse mosins among Finnish rifles.

In all cases, the Mosin Nagant rifle is a 5 shot, magazine fed bolt action rifle. The 7.62x54r round is roughly equal to a .30.06 in power, and is commonly found with 150 grain or 180 grain bullets. Surplus ammunition is cheap and plentiful.

Tomorrow; using, shooting and caring for your Mosin.

Please keep in mind there is a HUGE history of the Mosin Nagant and I am barely touching on this incredible and easily obtainable rifle. There are many obscure and collectible variants out there. I encourage interested readers to start with the two pages I linked to earlier in this post. I will be happy to answer any questions either in this thread or via private message you may have.

Ah, the joys of the people's rifle.

Here is son with three-line (3 tenths of inch, 30 cal., or 7.62mm) M91 made at Sestroryetsk factory in 1905 and sent by Tsar to Serbia, before I liberated it. Sights are modified for post-1908 spitzer bullet, but still marked in Imperial Arshins, not meters.

A most equal translation of 1950 Manual by T. Lapin, that sits on my bedroom table.
My favorites are WWII Izhveskii Mosins. They usually look crudely made, yet intended to survive the GPW; and get sold to capitalists 60 years later for less than $100. I have 6 (two 91-30s, two 38s, one M44, and one 91-59.) I am a focused collector of Soviet-Izhvesk-made-WWII small arms THAT sell for less than $100. That includes the fascinating Nagant M1985 revolver. Cowboys had six shooters, Russia not to be out done has seven shooter!

I do have an antique Tula that some Fin turned into a 1941 Sako M39. But Finland is another story.

Here is daughter with Mosin. I had to taker her future bridegroom to shooting range when I heard that he grew up in Hong Kong as missionary kid and never touched a gun.

All that said--hard to use Mosin in Party Boss' Zil for drive-by shooting of кула́к and other class enemy. Makarov much better, fits in smarty pants and won't accidentally blow off own wee-wee like safety challenged Tokarev.

0031.JPG
Here's one of the Blogunovs, a proud member of the Komsomol, training to defend the workers' paradise.
0032.JPG
Here I am warming up for the purges with a spiffy 91/30.

Oh most equal pictures. I love the M44 at -44! More equal replies when I get home from infiltrating capitalist job!

A friend of mine has a Serbian mosin, as well as a few other rarities including an 1896 Sestroryetsk. My humble collection is the aforementioned PU sniper replica, a 1943 Izveshk 91/30 with a perfect bore I plan to make into a sporter someday and my M91 with a wartime Finn stock, the old sight in Arshins marked and recut in meters, and a 1940 Tikka barrel on it.

Ah, my family members to have many of guns that may to be of that type. They also to have many other of the type of gun I have no idea as to what they to be.

Here they are to playing 'shoot the duck'. I always to think it strange game as I never actually to see any duck.

family foto guns.jpg

Personally, I only have ever to shoot with .44 Magnum like the Clint Eastwood. I had much fun letting recoil throw me back to floor and have the robust mens to catch me.

Comrade Czarweary, you must start small with say a .22 and work your way up to a .44 magnum. Also it appears that your family member has an original PU 91/30 sniper, although for some reason the forward barrel band has moved off the stock and is now dangling useless behind the rear sight. Do they not teach anything about basic firearms assembly there?

Colonel 7.62, I am sorry to be having to be of admittance that the gun playing is mostly left to the mens in my family for the enjoyment. They are not of much trusting of me since there was tiny mishap with something called Luger I was to one day accidentally on purpose shoot into foot of brother of cousin of husband. He should to have known better than to be of the trying to look under my facial hairs. And I am to be of much business keeping the 76 wives of my husband from making too much of the quarreling. Most special among the young ones. I never to know why they must to always want of the... oh, but I not to bother to you with the problems of being first wife.

I admit to being a WWII weapon enthusiast as well! Here is my personal armory to fight capitalist with when we start the Revolution!

Notice the Soviet money in the far left, all from the late 1930's and very early 40's. Once the revolution is over, I plan on using it to buy a bottle of Vodka in celebration!

I do plan on adding a few Mosins soon!

Mrs Al Czarweary wrote:Here they are to playing 'shoot the duck'. I always to think it strange game as I never actually to see any duck.
Looks like you're setting up for an exciting round of duck, duck, infidel.

Mrs Al C,

I love your family gathering picture. I have studied it before. I especially like the fashionable, yet, jihad-friendly Nike combat foot ware your husbands second cousin Hussain has.

Comrade Chedoh,

Nice collection of captured fascist weapons. Now get a good Party approved weapon, special Russian Nagant revolver designed for Michigan Party use:

Cradle to Grave Marxist wrote:Mrs Al C,

I love your family gathering picture. I have studied it before. I especially like the fashionable, yet, jihad-friendly Nike combat foot ware your husbands second cousin Hussain has.

Comrade Chedoh,

Nice collection of captured fascist weapons. Now get a good Party approved weapon, special Russian Nagant revolver designed for Michigan Party use:

Do they take carbon credits for trade for such a thing?

*out of character*
Some items such as the German flag and M2 Carbine were passed down to me from my Great uncle who fought in the war, the flag was a souvenir that he snagged somewhere in North Africa. I've always been fascinated by history and artifacts from different time periods. I would like to have some civil war stuff but that stuff gets really pricey!
*In character*

Most excellent weapon! Looks to be of extreme use to the people!

M1 carbineI hope comrade; the m2 is a full auto rifle, unless you are lucky enough to have a legal one

Chedoh wrote:
CHE-DOH!! Beware!!! Some infidel has slipped the iron cross TEAbagger flag into your collection! He may yet be nearby! OFF: I haven't done much rifle shooting (that wasn't on xbox360, anyway), but I might be able to handle that Colt(?)!

Colonel 7.62 wrote:M1 carbineI hope comrade; the m2 is a full auto rifle, unless you are lucky enough to have a legal one

It's stamped M2 but it is semi Auto, sadly. That was the only way he could take it home. On the barrel it is also stamped "General Motors".

Eh it's just a difference in fire control groups. And I think not all M2's were made into full autos, and some M1's became M2's... and it's just a headache LOL.

Czar Czar wrote:
Chedoh wrote:

CHE-DOH!! Beware!!! Some infidel has slipped the iron cross TEAbagger flag into your collection! He may yet be nearby! OFF: I haven't done much rifle shooting (that wasn't on xbox360, anyway), but I might be able to handle that Colt(?)!

I may have said it is an heirloom for a relative from WWII, but in reality I liberated it from a Teabagger flaunting his Fascist Nazism around! The Colt is in reality a Springfield 1911, I liberated that from a home owner that had it for self defense. Obviously he doesn't believe that big brother has a loving eye on him!

Colonel 7.62 wrote:Eh it's just a difference in fire control groups. And I think not all M2's were made into full autos, and some M1's became M2's... and it's just a headache LOL.

The story I was told is after the war he wanted it, but the only way he could was to convert it to semi auto, so he did. But it is still a piece of history, and like all aspects of history I try to study it immensely.

Chedoh, I would thought that was a Plainfield carbine because the stock looks so sweet. I had a Plainfield (made in Plainfield, NJ). It was a civilian version of the M1 but made to GI specs. They had a distinctive potbelly stock. I loved that gun, sorry I ever sold it. Now they cost as much as an HK91 (which I also had once).

I like your choice of the Mauser 98k (had a few of those too way back when). Them Rooskie fence rails that the Col. loves can't hold a candle to a Mauser.

btw: I see a Garand enbloc clip, you got a Garand? I think they're grand.

Comrade Whoopie wrote:Chedoh, I would thought that was a Plainfield carbine because the stock looks so sweet. I had a Plainfield (made in Plainfield, NJ). It was a civilian version of the M1 but made to GI specs. They had a distinctive potbelly stock. I loved that gun, sorry I ever sold it. Now they cost as much as an HK91 (which I also had once).

I like your choice of the Mauser 98k (had a few of those too way back when). Them Rooskie fence rails that the Col. loves can't hold a candle to a Mauser.

btw: I see a Garand enbloc clip, you got a Garand? I think they're grand.

No but I want one, those clips were given to me by a veteran who fought with the 101st. I used to have a Thompson TM1 though. Miss that gun.

I traded it straight up for this:
And now THAT's gone too! Gave it up to go to College.....

Life can really suck sometimes.

:'(

Olds Cutlass, my ex-wife had one (way back before they were considered a classic).

Comrade Whoopie wrote:Olds Cutlass, my ex-wife had one (way back before they were considered a classic).

Yup, a 69' sport.

Have a lot of good memories with that car.

Chedoh wrote:
Comrade Whoopie wrote:Olds Cutlass, my ex-wife had one (way back before they were considered a classic).

Yup, a 69' sport.

So did she (we were young and that car had a big back seat).

Comrade Whoopie wrote:
Chedoh wrote:

Yup, a 69' sport.

So did she (we were young and that car had a big back seat).

You know what they say,

Bucket seats are for single guys ;)

You'd be amazed how fast you can wear your shocks out with those kind of activities. lol

Bah. Shoot your best group at 100 meters with surplus ammo and a rack grade Mauser, and I'll shoot my best group with surplus ammo at 100 meters with a rack grade Mosin and I think you'll find there is little if any difference. It comes down to the shooter all other things being equal.

Colonel 7.62 wrote:Bah. Shoot your best group at 100 meters with surplus ammo and a rack grade Mauser, and I'll shoot my best group with surplus ammo at 100 meters with a rack grade Mosin and I think you'll find there is little if any difference. It comes down to the shooter all other things being equal.

The weight of the rifle effects my accuracy, unless I can rest it on something. Mausers are a little heavier than Mosins, depending on your preference it could make a difference.

By the way Chedoh, your release paperwork has arrived. Congratulations comrade.

Chedoh release.jpg

I enjoy busting the Colonel's balls on matters of the gun, secure in the knowledge that living on opposite ends of the continent as we do I'll never have to risk putting my opinions to the test sitting next to him on the firing line.

I DENOUNCE COMRADE WHOOPIE! Don't make me start a People's Postal Match!

The only centerfire rifles I have are an AR-15 and a Ruger M-77 .30-06 with a Bushnell scope.

I hardly ever shoot the Ruger and I didn't save any 100 yd. targets, here are a couple of 50yd. groups I shot with them (just to sight in).

scan.jpg
This is 4 shots from the Ruger.

scan1.jpg
And this one is 5 shots from the Colt "poodle gun" as you call it.

I never said Poodle Shooters weren't accurate, or that if you dump enough rounds into a giant polar bear it won't kill something. I have argued that the round is tiny and the fundamental design is deeply flawed.

Comrade Whoopie wrote:By the way Chedoh, your release paperwork has arrived. Congratulations comrade.

Chedoh release.jpg

I shall cherish it always, and keep it handy just in case if I ever get accused again.

That only clears you for the crimes you were accused of in the past. Not in the future. Would you like to step into my office and see what crimes you will be charged with later on? HAH! Only I can see that. Sucka...

Colonel 7.62 wrote:That only clears you for the crimes you were accused of in the past. Not in the future. Would you like to step into my office and see what crimes you will be charged with later on? HAH! Only I can see that. Sucka...

Has anyone ever told you just how equal your avatar is?

Not for at least 5 minutes. Why do you ask?

Colonel 7.62 wrote:Not for at least 5 minutes. Why do you ask?

Oh no reason. Just admiring it is all.

Colonel 7.62 wrote:I never said Poodle Shooters weren't accurate, or that if you dump enough rounds into a giant polar bear it won't kill something. I have argued that the round is tiny and the fundamental design is deeply flawed.

Oh well we can agree on that. I understand why the military wanted a smaller round than the 7.62 NATO, but think the 6mm Remington would've been a better compromise. It's like some guy at the Pentagon said "Let's have a 6 or 6.5mm bullet" and then some drunk General said "Why hell, I bet you could kill them little commies in Vietnam with a .22" and the next thing you know we got stuck with the 5.56mm

And I don't think the 6.5 Grendel is the answer either, just necking up the 45mm case.

Now I'm worried Red Square is gonna pay us a visit. "Hey, this ain't a gun blog, get back to making funny about Communism."

I DENOUNCE CAPITALIST AMERICAN M-16! I DENOUNCE EUGENE STONER FOR BEING A POOPY HEAD GUN DESIGNER!

Another capitalist weapon I want to liberate is the AR-50. I almost had one at one time but just barely came short of the financial mark.

The days of the $90 Mosin-Nagant are long gone now, I'm afraid. Dear Leader has prohibited import of all "foreign military" rifles, even M1 Garands from ROK.

And the days of 880 round spam cans of 7.62x54R for $80, well, he put an end to that too.

But it was nice while it lasted.