Sanitation Workers Say Cuts Take Toll on Snow Cleanup

In the past the very mention of snow would result in a non-stop salting of the roads and plowing. Last night I watched car after car get stuck. The major drag *(snow emergency route) was buried. It never was like this.

They cries of the Sanitation department being undermanned are expected. Budget cuts you know..

Not one mention that perhaps the union should fuck off. There are plenty of people that will do the work for a lot less than what the sanitation guys are getting.

What!?! I just read the other day that stagehands in NYC get $237,000 a year... I'm sure the sanitation gets a similar reasonable sum and 30 minute breaks every hour... just like it should be!

Progressive Social Justice for ALL!!!

Red Rooster wrote:What!?! I just read the other day that stagehands in NYC get $237,000 a year... I'm sure the sanitation gets a similar reasonable sum and 30 minute breaks every hour... just like it should be!

Progressive Social Justice for ALL!!!

You mean the "Broadway union"? I wouldn't be surprised if they did. They aren't getting tax money...are they? I'm afraid to ask now that I think about it.

Sanitation does well enough.

They were pissed they were getting "screwed out of" overtime (budget cuts) and called in sick. I know guys who did this and said so without any shame. This actually happened. People are making excuses or pointing fingers elsewhere because it's "dangerous" to call them out.

As I am writing this I am watching several plows going around. It's all plowed now so they are just driving around with the plows up and getting paid.

In the mind of many union guys it goes beyond political ideology...it's the old mob union mentality. A racket for people with no decency. People died when ambulances couldn't get through.

[off my perch]
Since we are in full revolt with our Union proles now with an SEIU crusade happening across the country (did you get the memo?) and you are commenting on this on the People's Blog, I saw this and thought I'd share... it's mime swiped...

The largest contributing body to politicians in the last election cycle were the unions representing public service employees. That has been a history of the last 20 years with over 95% of their contributions going to Democratic candidates. They have ostensibly bought politicians to do their bidding. These politicians not only negotiate their wages, they determine who's on the court of industrial relations.

Let's compare that to private industry contributions by unions. Yes, they have also contributed at a 95%+ rate to Democrats. However, in private industry there is competition within the industry not allowing for obscene wage and benefit programs as their are finite funds in which private industry works. Business will shut down or move away if it become excessive. And that has happened.

The same has not been true for government. Purchased elected officials have no skin in the game, making it easy for them to spend the taxpayers dollars. There are also no competitive parameters for the government to consider. It has been like shooting fish in the barrel for public sector unions.

We are now witnessing absurd wage and benefit plans with early retirement being rampant. There are not enough rich people around, as is asserted by these public sector unions, to tax the hell out of to pay their way. The end result is the taxpayer has been screwed and it includes the middle class, the poor, AND the private sector unions.

As for your plea to help the poor on the People's Blog: Benjamin Franklin knew you could not help the poor by handing them money, in fact the opposite result happens: they become dependent. That is no help, that is a crutch.

OTOH, as you said, it is true, if you asked these picketing proles to give up the money for "the true poor", they would throw a hissy and say that there is more money to tax somewhere, some "rich" people are not paying their fair share.

The fact of the matter is: people are greedy, unions are greedy, bureaucracies are the greediest of all. There is nothing wrong with greed, there is something wrong with greed when the receiver does not have to be productive to obtain the wealth. There is little to no appreciation of the wealth without the productive work to obtain it.

The fact of the matter is, the more we are productive, each one of us, whether rich or poor, the more we benefit society, world hunger, and the poor indirectly whether we mean to or not.

This is why America has worked, and worked damn well, like no other nation in the history of mankind.

The Poor

We have the fattest poor people in history, I contribute this to the welfare state that we have become. It's just like Benjamin Franklin said, dependency breeds pestilence.

The nations we hand billions of dollars to yearly in "aid" become no better off for the aid. Just another another dependent taking the grift.

There are ways to fix issues for "the poor", but it's not with more money nor more taxes.

How have you been Rooster?

I got the memo...literally.

While I agree with most of what you say regarding creating dependency I'm one of those who concerns themselves with the "true poor". By that I mean those who have not had a chance...kids mostly but some honest people that simply need help and would pay their way through life once they get through. That's my bleeding heart...

We had teachers going on about how the employed are being screwed while some students I know wish they had such problems. Good kids too...

Obviously many exploit and make careers out of the generosity of productive people...and I have no interest in them.

My point was teachers go on and on about the "rich and greedy exploiting the little guy" when the little guy is us or someone unionized. They never once care about those that wish they could sweep our classroom floor unless it suits them. And at no point do they think we should give something up to help. Their idea of helping is to recruit more to the union ranks and the rest are props.

I don't have a problem with what is happening there...people who risk their lives should be top of the food chain. The rest should be happy they have job security and put up or shut up.

And yes, America is the one place where you can be poor and obese.

New Paradigm wrote: I'm one of those who concerns themselves with the "true poor". By that I mean those who have not had a chance...kids mostly but some honest people that simply need help and would pay their way through life once they get through.

There may be a chance that I am one of these people, but perhaps I have realized that everything comes with a price. A price I am not willing to pay.

Maybe I'm not rich in money, maybe I am. The fact remains, there is always a price.

In a world of force, the good will of the people dissipates, community can only happen naturally, starting with the word I. Life is empirical this way.

Red Rooster wrote:
There may be a chance that I am one of these people, but perhaps I have realized that everything comes with a price. A price I am not willing to pay.

Maybe I'm not rich in money, maybe I am. The fact remains, there is always a price.

In a world of force, the good will of the people dissipates, community can only happen naturally, starting with the word I. Life is empirical this way.

Which is why I have no respect for those of us with job security and an easy way to pay the bills who scream for more and play the part of a victim.

I have more respect for someone who quietly fights to make their way....and I always pull for them. They would make great teachers.

Ah, the Comrade (ahem) New Paradigm™(ahem), welcome to the time continuum. By Next Tuesday™ all will be true. By Next Tuesday™ all will be new. By Next Tuesday™ the bills will be due™.

Which shall be paid by Next Monday™.