Commissarka Pinkie Investigates Vodka Rations

AbecedariusRex wrote:
Red Jim wrote:Be nice or I'll send my warriors of Rohan after you!

https://www.iit.edu/~marrjam/viking_kit ... fault2.htm

OMG. Was that a +3 vorpal warhammer or a mace of striking used by that bellicose feline?

2H Battle Axe

Commissarka Pinkie wrote:Dear me. What happened here?

I come back to this thread to find a full blown discussion about Batman...

You guys go ahead and laugh, but for me, it's the 1966 Batman movie...

Anyone want me to bring back anything?

Yes Commissarka, a black leather catsuit and a whip. 1960's Batman movie brings back fond memmories of Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether and Eartha Kitt, the 60's Catwomen. Now I know why a woman with a whip can hold my attention. Commissarka Pinkie, I have been a very naughty aggitator - I must be punished. It's for the good of The PartyTM.

Yes, Yes, pure nerd for me, was there ever any doubt? Back to reading Crazy Horse & Custer - a book you would have had to torture me to get me to read in school.

Red Jim wrote:
Commissarka Pinkie wrote:Dear me. What happened here?

I come back to this thread to find a full blown discussion about Batman...

You guys go ahead and laugh, but for me, it's the 1966 Batman movie...

Anyone want me to bring back anything?

Yes Commissarka, a black leather catsuit and a whip. 1960's Batman movie brings back fond memmories of Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether and Eartha Kitt, the 60's Catwomen. Now I know why a woman with a whip can hold my attention. Commissarka Pinkie, I have been a very naughty aggitator - I must be punished. It's for the good of The PartyTM.

Oh, meow!

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/HDGpcjtveFg&r ... ram><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Commissarka Pinkie wrote: Nerd, Geek, or Dork?

Here's what I got:

26 % Nerd, 52% Geek, 65% Dork
For The Record:

A Nerd is someone who is passionate about learning/being smart/academia.
A Geek is someone who is passionate about some particular area or subject, often an obscure or difficult one.
A Dork is someone who has difficulty with common social expectations/interactions.
You scored better than half in Geek and Dork, earning you the title of: Computer Savant.

People confuse you with a Nerd all of the time. You aren't some genius, like some people have said, and didn't/don't really like school all that much (and you especially hated some of the social aspects, like getting mocked). It's just that you have some passions and interests that you're extremely into/good at, and this has placed you in circles with other social outcasts, some of whom are exceptionally bright.

The awesome thing about being where you are is that you get to hang out with an elite group (though you'd probably rather be alone, or with only the closest friends and family) and you can make quite a good career for yourself in your particular specialities. Common to this group are people who are highly into electronics/computers as that is where the money lies, today.

The funny thing is that it sounds just like me. Although I get lots of people who say that I'm really smarter than I give myself credit for. LIES!!!

69 % Nerd, 34% Geek, 26% Dork

I know the origin of geek too, Robertson Davies <i>World of Wonders</i> has a good section on it. But I thought that I qualified from being technosexual. That's my real secret: I get off to electrons.

In fact I'm rather disappointed that they didn't have any electron-love questions. What, no Fourier analysis? No nondeterministic push-down automata? How <i>can</i> live like that? Stone age minds.

But I don't obsess over Star Trek things, but do like Nero Wolfe and Wodehouse series. Six Feet Under. What probably saved me from dork is that I can dance, which, although I do hate special pleading, really is in the blood. In fact that may be a better indication of being gay than that finger-length thing.

AbecedariusRex wrote:Just as an FYI; geek began as a term for those sideshow carnies who would bite the heads off of chickens for extra cash and a good show. Where "nerd" came from I don't know (though it's probably Norse). My knowing these things would put me in the category of nerd.

Some nerd at Dictionary.com (http://dictionary.reference.com/) supplied this entry from the American Heritage Dictionary:

Word History: The word nerd, undefined but illustrated, first appeared in 1950 in Dr. Seuss's If I Ran the Zoo: "And then, just to show them, I'll sail to Ka-Troo And Bring Back an It-Kutch a Preep and a Proo A Nerkle a Nerd and a Seersucker, too!" (The nerd is a small humanoid creature looking comically angry, like a thin, cross Chester A. Arthur.) Nerd next appears, with a gloss, in the February 10, 1957, issue of the Glasgow, Scotland, Sunday Mail in a regular column entitled "ABC for SQUARES": "Nerd—a square, any explanation needed?" Many of the terms defined in this "ABC" are unmistakable Americanisms, such as hep, ick, and jazzy, as is the gloss "square," the current meaning of nerd. The third appearance of nerd in print is back in the United States in 1970 in Current Slang: "Nurd [sic], someone with objectionable habits or traits.... An uninteresting person, a 'dud.'" Authorities disagree on whether the two nerds—Dr. Seuss's small creature and the teenage slang term in the Glasgow Sunday Mail—are the same word. Some experts claim there is no semantic connection and the identity of the words is fortuitous. Others maintain that Dr. Seuss is the true originator of nerd and that the word nerd ("comically unpleasant creature") was picked up by the five- and six-year-olds of 1950 and passed on to their older siblings, who by 1957, as teenagers, had restricted and specified the meaning to the most comically obnoxious creature of their own class, a "square."

Premier Betty wrote: Nerd, Geek, or Dork?

For The Record:

A Geek is someone who is passionate about some particular area or subject, often an obscure or difficult one.
A Dork is someone who has difficulty with common social expectations/interactions.
You scored better than half in Geek and Dork, earning you the title of: Computer Savant.

Now how can you be 65% Dork and called a Computer Savant, while I came out with less dorkage--56%--and have been labeled "Pure Dork"?

Though I'm certainly not "computer savvy"--and now my 43% nerdiness is propelling me over to the dictionary because I'm suddenly wondering if that word came from "savant."

(Turns out both words have the same basic origin, Latin sapere for wise.)

I'm 43% Nerd, 43% Geek, and 56% Dork.

And here we are, obsessing over taxonomy, when we all ought to give our all, united...for the people...in order to...perfect happiness...shoulder-to-shoulder...

Screw it. My car's body work has been done, from the time that I was backing out and a young woman, cell phone surgically grafted to her ear, came barreling around a corner that I've successfully parked on for 35 years, and I did some damage. And it's ready.

So I have The Car! The Car! in its pristine black, sorry nighthawk for Thanksgiving and I'm so happy that I'm not even going to pretend it's about someone else when it's not.

Commissarka Pinkie wrote:
Premier Betty wrote: Nerd, Geek, or Dork?

For The Record:

Now how can you be 65% Dork and called a Computer Savant, while I came out with less dorkage--56%--and have been labeled "Pure Dork"?

Though I'm certainly not "computer savvy"--and now my 43% nerdiness is propelling me over to the dictionary because I'm suddenly wondering if that word came from "savant."

(Turns out both words have the same basic origin, Latin sapere for wise.)

I'm 43% Nerd, 43% Geek, and 56% Dork.

<<<dork>>>

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/IgAjn9PR7gs&r ... ram><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

AbecedariusRex wrote:
Commissarka Pinkie wrote:
You guys go ahead and laugh, but for me, it's the 1966 Batman movie.

Would that be this movie?

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/NrmPehlHK3w&r ... ram><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

I watched about 10 seconds of this, saw there were 9 more minutes to go, and all I could think was, "Where the hell is a gun when I need one?"

And I say a REAL Pure Dork would've sat thru all 9+ minutes, waiting for something else to happen.

Excuse me while I have another Putinka flashback . . .

yes, repetitive in't? for people who are
A. demented
B. drunk
C. truly bored

You forgot:

D. living in their mother's basement or garage.

Or blogging for the DKos, which might be Pinkie's explanation.

Commissarka Pinkie wrote:D. living in their mother's basement or garage.

Ouch. I resemble that remark, and this was my score...

73 % Nerd, 78% Geek, 47% Dork

You scored better than half in Nerd and Geek, earning you the title of: Modern, Cool Nerd.

Nerds didn't use to be cool, but in the 90's that all changed. It used to be that, if you were a computer expert, you had to wear plaid or a pocket protector or suspenders or something that announced to the world that you couldn't quite fit in. Not anymore. Now, the intelligent and geeky have eked out for themselves a modicum of respect at the very least, and "geek is chic." The Modern, Cool Nerd is intelligent, knowledgeable and always the person to call in a crisis (needing computer advice/an arcane bit of trivia knowledge). They are the one you want as your lifeline in Who Wants to Be a Millionaire (or the one up there, winning the million bucks)!

Oh, and by the way, I'm so Dorkish that I had to fix the misspelled "knowledgable" to 'knowledgeable' in the above quote...

And also, a couple of good sites to get the geekdom going:

Geek Etiquette
<br>The Geek Culture Forums

Gotta go, Mom's callin'.
-Mikhail