A question for Comrades from Russia or the former USSR

While researching silly things to do to an SKS rifle (Stalin be praised that is a FINE RIFLE) I found the .220 Russian cartridge Now the Wikipedia article states this interesting round, based on the standard 7.62x39mm cartridge was designed IN RUSSIAN during the 1950's for DEER HUNTING.

Comrades, how in the name of Lenin did one go about hunting deer, or anything else with a firearm in the Soviet Union? I can imagine some sort of cumbersome registration and licensing scheme, and of course only more equal ciitizens gaining access to hunting equipment.

Yet some allowances perhaps were made for the northern regions? Not only were large and dangerous animals loose, but hunting and trapping for fur must have continued. I would not want to wander through Siberia trapping for the collective good while carring a .220 cartridge, is it possible that some Mosin Nagnats left over from The Great Patriotic War also found their way into the hands of Party Approved comrades?

I would really appreciate being enlightened on this subject.

Oh, and the silly thing I wish to do with one of Comrade Simonov's carbines? Let us just say I have found a source of unbuilt SKS receivers. Legally this would allow me to build one as a pistol, say with a 10.5" barrel and a Kalashnikov style muzzle brake for good looks. Perhaps add a Chinese 20 round magazine to this unique creation, and I could have loads of good old fashioned Soviet style fun.

Alas I don't know much about firearms. In school we would shoot in a basement range from small-caliber rifles as part of mandatory military training, and one time we were taken to an open range to shoot from AK rifles. But earlier that day I got a bad cold, fever and a terrible headache. Nobody gave us ear plugs, of course. So the loudness of the shooting multiplied in my head by 100 and made me even more sick. Later on I was drafted into the Soviet Army but I got off (it's a long story) before we were issued any firearms.

There were hunters who had licensed hunting rifles, but that wasn't very common, especially in the cities. Nobody I knew was a hunter or had a weapon. I think hunting was more of a sport for the Party elites and the military.

I heard in the villages people would keep guns that were left over from the war. In Ukraine where I grew up people found old WWII guns and ammunition in various places all the way through the 1960s. But I don't think there was much of a wildlife larger than a hare left in central Ukraine after all the wars, famine, and government land management.

I never heard of anyone owning a pistol, except for one incident in my school when a kid found his dad's pistol hidden in the closet and was showing it to his classmate at home. Without meaning it, he pulled the trigger and killed his 14-year-old friend. He was too young to go to jail, but his dad got something like six years for owning an illegal pistol.

Those living in Siberia and similar places were more into hunting, especially native tribes for whom hunting was a way of life, a source of income, and protection against predators. You may roughly compare Siberian tribes to American Indians living in reservations, except your Indians weren't being told that all they had was given to them by the Party and they should be forever grateful to the caring central leadership for their happiness. Well, now this may change and Indian children may also be taught that their rights and happiness come from Obama.

When I lived in Siberia I befriended a couple of guys from local tribes. They were friendly and honest people. One of them had the weirdest sense of humor and laughed at his own jokes louder than everybody else. Often times, the only other person laughing was I because the rest didn't get his humor. I met him at an Army collection point in Western Siberia where he was also drafted. He had little regard for authority and the sergeant would scream at him and call him a dirty Hunt (that was the name of his tribe). My friend responded that being dirty made it easier to blend with trees and other objects while hunting for weasels, and that he was a good shooter, he would usually shoot a weasel right in the eye to save the pelt, so the sergeant could feel safe about his own pelt, he was in good hands. And then he laughed loudly, like only a free and guiltless man can laugh. And that was probably what I liked about him the most.

Comrade Red Square, thank you for the info it is appreciated.

I have on occasion seen those .22 training rifles offered for sale. The Russian made ones command the highest prices and are perhaps the nicest ones. Right now some Romanian ones are running around. IIRC Winchester is now importing a .22 bolt action rifle from Russia made at the Izmash factory that is based on a Soviet competition and training design. I'm tempted to buy one simply to keep all my other Russian rifles company.

You confirmed my suspicions that it was the party elite, natives and Siberians who had most of the legally held guns in the USSR. I understand it is much easier now for a person in Russia to acquire guns, but even so there are restrictions, such as rifles cannot accept military magazines. Thus we have sporting rifles and shotguns based on Kalashnikov's rifle that do not accept standard magazines. Clearly the government does not still trust it's people. So far most of the US has not sunk to this level of depravity but I fear it is only a matter of time.

Comrade 7.62, would not the .220 Russian round be the 5.45mmx39 used in the new AK-74 rifles which replaced the old AK-47 (7.62mmx39)?

I question if such a small round would be adequate for deer since the casing is smaller than even the US service rd. (5.56mmx45). I'm sure it would be a good varmint round however. The 7.62mmx54 rimmed (Moisin Nagant) would be a much better choice for deer, wild boar or bear IMHO.

Comrade Whoopie, the .220 Russian is not the same as the 5.45x39 although they are close to each other, and the 5.45 may have been influenced by the .220. It would be adequate for small deer and varmints, but it would not be my first choice for a hunting cartridge.

As far as the 7.62x54r goes, that is one of my favorite rifle rounds. I have two Mosin Nagant 91/30's and prefer them over any other bolt action rifle. Although it was my Tula made SKS I took deer hunting this last fall, as the 7.62x39 is quite adequate for the deer here in Western Washington.