Code Pink denounces stolen beauty pinched from Palestinians

Code Pink protest calls for Ahava boycott

Washington: American anti-war movement launches fourth in line of protests in 'Stolen Beauty' campaign against Dead Sea company that produces cosmetics in Mitzpe Shalem settlement 'from stolen Palestinian natural resources in occupied territories'

07.30.09, 23:56 / Israel News

Dozens of women in bikinis protested Wednesday near Washington cosmetics stores against the purchase of Ahava beauty products, that are produced in the Israeli settlement of Mitzpe Shalem in the West Bank.

The protest was initiated by the American Code Pink anti-war movement, and the demonstrators' bodies were streaked with mud, some featuring the words "Ahava is a dirty business".

Code Pink alleges that the Israeli cosmetics company that promises to share the "beauty secrets from the Dead Sea" is also "hiding the ugly truth—its products actually come from stolen Palestinian natural resources in the occupied territory of the Palestinian West Bank, and are produced in the illegal settlement of Mitzpe Shalem."

Code_Pink_1.jpg

Protest in Washington (Photo: Courtesy of Code Pink)

The movement launched its "Stolen Beauty" boycott campaign against international company, which exports to 25 countries around the world, last month.

"We are here to tell Ahava, which claims to be devoted to beauty and purity, that you cannot cover up occupation and violation of international law," said Paris Marron, CODEPINK's national online organizer. "We call on Ahava to come clean."

Rae Abileah, a member of the movement who took part in the protest, said they are leading an international campaign against the company's products, in protest of their production in the "occupied Palestinian territory".

Code_Pink_2.jpg

Protesters in front of Kristin Davis Ahava ad (Photo: Courtesy of Code Pink)

She said they had entered cosmetics stores and handed the managers letters with factual information on Ahava's production process, and demanded they stop selling these products, since it is against the Geneva Convention.

Abileah added that it is immoral and unethical to purchase or distribute products that carry such a very heavy price tag and make their profit from the occupation.

The organization also urged "Sex and the City" star Kristen Davis, Ahava's spokeswoman, to stop representing the company immediately.

KBS006_g.jpg

(Photo: AFP)

Abileah said the campaign's first protest was carried out over a month ago, in cooperation with Coalition of Women for Peace in the Hilton Hotel in Tel Aviv.

The demonstrators were able to shut down the Ahava store in the hotel for an entire day, which prompted them to push forward with the campaign in the United States.

In the past month, the women also demonstrated at Tel Aviv's centennial celebrations in Central Park in New York City, as well as outside a cosmetics conference held in Los Vegas two weeks ago.

I see our glorious female comrades are protesting against these horrible, exploitative capitalists. The sooner those vermin and their lipstick tinted with blood are driven to the sea, the better.

Looking at the pictures, though, I fear that the looks of some of these glorious comrades are not equal to their revolutionary sisters. The one in the middle and her revolutionary sister on the far left should be removed and placed into uglification camps. In there absence, might I suggest that some revolutionary sisters from "Breast, Not Bombs" replace them. That should make things much more equal.

These fine prog females are the kind that Colonel 7.62 and his Revolutionary Red Army will fight to the death to defend barf barf

Image Hurry, Hurry, scroll the screen up, scroll the screen up. I'm about to lose it.

Some dyke is missing a Dutch girl's finger.
D'ya think?
Nope, that's in the Netherlands, not DC or AC.

Comrade Leninka, the Glorious Revolutionary Red Guard of course defends ALL progs. We just defend some of the wymyn more equally than others. Especially if they fill out a bikini well. Then we work hard to defend them. Very, very hard.

Colonel 7.62,

There are many ways to give yourself over to the Revolution, but I just can't think of a way that the women pictured above can help.

Oh, of course, they are always good for digging beets, and scaring away Rethuglican Capitalists.

Yes, the Colonel is still not keen to the ways of femynist Revolutionaries™, we are considering him for a 4 year stay at the nearest re-education camp.

She said they had entered cosmetics stores and handed the managers letters with factual information on Ahava's production process, and demanded they stop selling these products, since it is against the Geneva Convention.

I understand in return the managers handed back some paper to the Code Pink ladies also during this exchange.

Snoogie, I'll need to order about 6666 of those for The Wombat Factory(TM) once the Woomba Loomba's come back from protesting.

Thanks comrade...

Comrades Snoogie Woogums and Red Rooster,

On my wedding day, as I was getting all the food ready (yes, I cooked my own food--except the cake), I had to deal with a terrible in-law--I won't say who it was. My best friend who is a talented artist had flown in from NY.

While I was griping about the in-law (a female), I was also going about crushing some almonds for the salad, and I had a lot of almonds to crush, so I got an idea. "Hey Marie, could you do a quick sketch of (place in-law's name here) on a large paper bag for me? "Sure," she said.

Once she was done, I took the bag, filled it with the almonds, placed it on the floor and stomped away on my in-law's caricature. The two of us were laughing so hard, we could hardly contain ourselves, and the almonds were nicely crushed in no time.

Oh My Gawd! Comrade Leninka!

I hope you didn't spill the almonds!!!

No, the paper bag was quite strong, and the almonds were safe. In the end, a good time was had by all.

We had Beef Bourguignon
Sugared Carrots
Salad with almonds cooked in carmelized sugar
and I can't remember what else.

But, the cake was delayed for a hour and a half because another friend, became drunk while making it, and secured the layers with uncooked spaghetti. Nevertheless, nearly every piece was scarfed up by the guests.

Oh My Gawd! Comrade Leninka!

I hope you didn't spill the almonds!!!
Or forget to recycle the paper bag....!
Phew.
Thank Stalin it wasn't plastic!

Leninka wrote:Colonel 7.62,

There are many ways to give yourself over to the Revolution, but I just can't think of a way that the women pictured above can help.

Oh, of course, they are always good for digging beets, and scaring away Rethuglican Capitalists.

I agree, I don't think the wymyn above can help either. One of them maybe, but the rest, no way. I'm sure there is a progressive revolutionary womyn out there for me somewhere though.

Leninka wrote:Comrades Snoogie Woogums and Red Rooster,

On my wedding day, as I was getting all the food ready (yes, I cooked my own food--except the cake), I had to deal with a terrible in-law--I won't say who it was. My best friend who is a talented artist had flown in from NY.

While I was griping about the in-law (a female), I was also going about crushing some almonds for the salad, and I had a lot of almonds to crush, so I got an idea. "Hey Marie, could you do a quick sketch of (place in-law's name here) on a large paper bag for me? "Sure," she said.

Once she was done, I took the bag, filled it with the almonds, placed it on the floor and stomped away on my in-law's caricature. The two of us were laughing so hard, we could hardly contain ourselves, and the almonds were nicely crushed in no time.

Note to self, do NOT anger Leninka, she will stomp my nuts real good if I do.