November 9: Day of Mourning

Comrades...it was sixteen years ago yesterday when the anti-fascist protective barrier was destroyed. You have no idea how angry this makes me.

West_and_East_Germans_at_the_Brandenburg_Gate_in_1989.jpg

I visited East Germany in 1986 - I went through Checkpoint Charlie. The look in the eyes of the guards made you understand the power of government out of control. The slightest "wrong" move from myself or my family members would have resulted in immediate death from those mad dog guards. We were followed everywhere we went and the people behind the wall - the citizens of that country had their souls removed. Blank vacant stares, no hope whatsoever. And all the products were as cheap and crappy as possible. It was hell. It was what Hillary wants for the U.S.A. and she will get it unless we all unite and pound those f*ckers back into oblivion just as the brave East Germans did 16 years ago. Our Founding Fathers were incredibly wise and insightful to severely limit government so that it could not abuse people in such a vile way.

And, a slightly early Veteran's Day THANK YOU for any and all soldiers or veterans out there who valiantly serve our true paradise here in America. We are free because, and only because, you are brave and put your life on the line for us. Thank you so very much. The majority of Americans love and respect you and understand the sacrifice you have given so that we may be free. It is the minority, and they are very loud, and control most of the media, who are amazingly ignorant and dislike you for whatever insane reason they think up in their warped minds. Thank you for your service to our great nation. We would be nothing without you.

My grandfather was stationed there after WWII.

Chistka Counselor wrote:I visited East Germany in 1986 - I went through Checkpoint Charlie. The look in the eyes of the guards made you understand the power of government out of control... And all the products were as cheap and crappy as possible....

Chistka Counselor,

Went through same in 1987 during back-packing trip (requisite during under-graduate degree)... and spent a month in the Balkans - places that were decimated during the war in Yugoslavia... it was during this trip that I came to realize that if one levered the panel off the inside of the door of a Trabant or a Yugo, one would find it 'insulated' with crumpled up newspaper. Although freer in some ways, Zagreb, Ljubljana and Belgrade in the then Yugoslavia were sometimes stranger, not to mention a Fellini-esque train trip from Belgrade to Split where we got in to a deserted train station without our car on it's own train car (which had been left in Titograd), and had to wait with a group of people who included a family of dwarves (sorry... Little People) until 4:30 in the morning. They had more freedom in many ways, than the east Germans did, but my travelling companion still had to travel on his Canadian passport that didn't list his place of birth, lest he be instantly drafted into the Yugoslav army. People, realizing from our appearance that we were foreigners, would approach us and ask if we'd brought coffee or butter with us, not to mention electronic goods.

But East Germany was a truly scary place - both the government/army, and the people. They were afraid, and we could see it in the way they wouldn't look at us. Mind you, I found all of Germany a bit weird... it's a little jarring to be driving down the autobahn and see a common green highway sign for Nürnberg.... rally anyone? Or to sit in a bar and have people around you of a certain age and wonder, "did you round up my relatives at gunpoint and ship them off to be gassed?" and if you did, how can you sit here now drinking your beer and laughing. Paris was no easier in that respect.

The world has, is and always will be a dangerous place. The trick is to recognize the danger early enough.

Best
S.M.O.