Obama, Pelosi See Bright Future for Government Motors

CP: With great pride, Nanski Peloski and Dear Leader will be visiting Detroit

"...to see firsthand the innovative technologies the industry is investing in to create the jobs of the future and to ensure our national competitiveness. We go to Detroit with our commitment to continue to preserve our manufacturing base, which is essential to our economic and national security." - Nancy Pelosi

Comrades, do you suppose that Dear Leader and Comrade Nanski are visiting Detroit, as a matter of pride in ownership looking out for the wishes of the USSA collective? I can only presume that they must have the highest expectations, and will play their hand in making sure that Government Motors factories are built and expanded worldwide in order to insure the growth of union membership, uniting workers all over the world under the same umbrella.

A note about me: I am the henpecked spouse of Comrade Leninka, and on this rare occasion, she has allowed me to post on the Cube. She only allowed it because she thought it would be good for the collective.

Welcome, O glorious spouse of the hirsuite yet strangely alluring Leninka! We delight in your presence and marvel at your moniker. And thank you for the photo of the impending fisting of Motown. The red gleam in Nanski's eyes make me shudder with anticipation.

Welcome henpecked one. Good nom de guerre, it reminds me of those glorious days when we kept the evil West in it's place with our Berlin Wall.

I hear they play to build a plant down along the Rio Grande. Not to export cars to Mexico, but to import fresh voters Union members.

Thank you Comrades Betinov and Whoopie for a most glorious welcome to the collective. After many years in Berlin under the Stasi Ministry disguised as a Check Point Charlie guard, nothing has felt quite as comfortable as being in the Cube. I await orders from Colonel 7.62 to once again serve in a revolutionary capacity. Finally, I see a way out from being henpecked! Perhaps with invigorating glorious Cube postings, my rations of beets and vodka will be increased by Leninka (I can only hope).

Thank you, Comrade CPC, for keeping us abreast of all the glorious goings-on in the City of the Future, Detroit! I am glad to see that Comrade Nanski and Chairman Obama are so steadfast in preserving glorious anti-capitalist industry. If only they had been in power sooner, we would have never lost world leadership in vital areas such as buggy whips, telephone dials and vacuum tubes (the latter is a particularly sore spot for me.)

And I also bid you welcome to the glorious collective, Comrade. Please dilligently follow all rules, regulations, dictates, ukases and fatwas and be sure to keep your nose clean (the latter might be difficult due to frequent shortage hoarding of tissues by enemies of the state.)

I don't think Comrade Peloski will be satisfied until cars are indirectly proportional to the size of the Goracle's portfolio.

Yes, welcome CPC, to the Cube. Please do note that here we not only have the Public Option but we have the Public Jiffi-Lobo, which will help you on those sleepless nights when cognitive dissonance rears its ugly head.

I was so taken by your three-wheeled car that I had one of the wheels of my car removed. And it was a tremendous success. It was powered by the engine; the car doesn't get me anywhere; it does in circles; it makes lots of noise; it pisses everyone off.

It's the <i>perfect</i> prog car.

Welcome back Comrade Checkpoint.

It seems you are engaged in noble revolutionary actions. Also I suspect Leninka is keeping you on a tight leash, as befits a prog womyn. I think I want one of those stylish Government Motors hats...

The glorious leader Obama is going to force GM to run its factories around the clock! So, many in the collective will be getting paychecks soon.

https://online.wsj.com/article/SB100014 ... 88954.html

Obama Auto Team Urged the Change; Experts Say Maintenance, Restocking Could Cut Into Efficiency

KANSAS CITY, Kan.—Starting Jan. 4, General Motors Co. plans to do something unprecedented in the U.S. car industry: It will run its assembly line here around the clock on a permanent basis.

While common in other industries, not even car-efficiency benchmark Toyota Motor Corp. operates its plants routinely with more than two shifts. Car-assembly lines need too much scheduled maintenance and restocking for such intensive production to make sense, many industry experts say.

For a company long bloated with unused capacity, GM's third-shift strategy is a radical—and risky—departure. Unlike other cost-cutting moves made during its trip through bankruptcy court last summer, such as halving its brands to four, the third-shift plan could make GM a model of car-industry efficiency—or end up a failure like its 1980s drive to let robots run its factories.

The move comes as GM is closing other plants around the country. That means the 23-year-old Kansas City factory, which will add more than 900 jobs, as well as two other GM plants scheduled later for a third shift will become boom towns of sorts as other plants go dark.

That's no accident. The Obama administration auto task force that oversaw GM's reorganization last spring was startled to learn that the industry standard for plants to be considered at 100% capacity was two shifts working about 250 days a year. In recommending that the government invest about $50 billion in GM, the task force urged the company to strive toward operating at 120% capacity by traditional standards.

But industry manufacturing experts are skeptical, noting that the federal task force had limited automotive experience. "Do those guys understand the business?" asked Ron Harbour, whose Harbour Report is a widely followed analysis of auto-plant efficiency.

Typically, car makers have added third shifts only as a temporary reaction to market surges. Even then, a more-common tactic is to place two shifts on overtime. "Two shifts gives us the flexibility to perform any necessary maintenance on equipment between shifts," said Mike Goss, a spokesman for Toyota's U.S. manufacturing operations.

A few idle hours between shifts also enables a plant to perform cleaning and restocking. A plant's paint shop alone generally requires about four hours of cleaning a day, said Mr. Harbour, adding that the efficiencies of a third shift can disappear quickly amid slowdowns for such maintenance.

"If running three shifts means you're moving [the line] at only 60% of capacity, then you haven't gained anything," he said.

In all industries, moreover, midnight-shift workers are prone to above-average rates of on-the-job errors, absenteeism and illness. "Economically, the benefits can be worth it, but only if an employer manages the risks," said Martin Moore-Ede, chief executive of Circadian, a Boston-based consultancy specializing in round-the-clock operational challenges.

Many auto-parts makers have long operated three shifts, and GM is convinced it can do likewise. Still, it is moving cautiously, starting with what is arguably its top-performing plant.

The Kansas City operation consistently ranks among the most-efficient auto factories in America. Pride in the plant's performance drives John Melton, the local United Auto Workers chairman, to give his card to anyone he sees driving the new Buick Lacrosse, one of the plant's products. "I tell them to call me if they have any troubles or questions," he said.

In the auto industry, the biggest risk is a sales slowdown. A single plant can make only a very limited number of models, so adding a third shift represents a bet on hits.

GM's Kansas City plant, called Fairfax, has produced two out of the last three winners of the North American Car of the Year Award: the 2007 Saturn Aura and 2008 Malibu. This year, it launched the redesigned 2010 Buick Lacrosse, which is a candidate for the 2010 award.

November sales of the Malibu rose 17% and the Lacrosse jumped 63%. "Right now, we can't make the Malibu or the Lacrosse fast enough," said Cathy Clegg, a GM manufacturing executive whose responsibilities include the Kansas City plant. But "if market demand doesn't meet our forecast, then we'll end up placing a shift on layoff," she conceded.

GM is offering $30,000 to each of the 900 workers it needs to move to Kansas City from plants closed elsewhere. Its union contract requires it to make the positions available first to laid-off GM employees.

Inside the plant is a "war room" where GM managers and union officials are plotting the launch of the third shift. Among challenges, they have figured out how to clean the assembly line without halting all of it. It involves "overspeeding" some parts of the line so it can be slowed down later.

Once the third shift starts, the line will run about 21.6 hours a day, up from 14.5 hours with two shifts, and will make 6,300 vehicles a week, up from 4,500.

In the second quarter, GM plans to add third shifts to its Silverado pickup plant in Fort Wayne, Ind., and its Delta Township plant in Lansing, Mich., which makes crossover vehicles like the Chevrolet Traverse.

For these communities, third shifts are creating boons for real estate agents, parts suppliers and others.

"It's strange," said Kansas City Mayor Joseph Reardon. "A year ago, we were worried about GM leaving Kansas City, Kansas. Now, for the first time ever, it's adding a third shift."

{Character off}

Damn, the ignorance of this administration is astounding!...These people can't be this dumb, they have to know that this will not work in any way.

Sea-Bass, by definition this administration is not dumb. What it says goes.

I expect any day that they will rule that gravity doesn't apply to any space around the fat, stippled ass of Our Many Titted Empress so that the rethuglicans can't make fun of Hillary's enormous butt.

Because all they have to do is say so.

That's really it, you know. Ukase instead of reality.

Oh, if only I was a member of the UAW union, and was offered $30,000 for moving to Kansas to work the graveyard shift, why that is the offer of a lifetime! To work with equipment that may or may not be in tip top shape, who cares? It's Government Motors, and nothing would thrill me more than to work under the leadership of Dear Leader to build the people's cars. And if a robotic arm loses a screw and whacks me in the head, well, I won't worry a bit, because I'll have a Cadillac insurance policy exempted from the Health Care Bill. Oh, glorious days to come.

I am sure that Government Motors will shortly be making car bodies made of resin-coated cotton batting, like the Trabant. We can have the Holy Gore's car made of environmentally friendly resin-coated cotton batting.

It will match the inside of his head.

Commissar Theocritus wrote: I was so taken by your three-wheeled car that I had one of the wheels of my car removed. And it was a tremendous success. It was powered by the engine; the car doesn't get me anywhere; it does in circles; it makes lots of noise; it pisses everyone off.

Inspired! When I stop laughing, I will go out and take TWO wheels off of my Gaia-destroying Earth-raping transportation machine and see what glorious improvements emerge from that!

Seriously, I know someone who bought a brand new Oldsmobile (this was 20 yrs ago) and drove it on a trip from NJ to Indiana. On the way, driving along the interstate, one of the front wheels decided it had had enough of being a cog in the imperialist's machine and decided to go its own way. As I recall, it wasn't just the tire but a large chunk of the right front transaxle assembly sought asylum at the side of the road, leaving the driver to re-create your glorious experiment. Somehow the driver guided the car to a stop on the shoulder (luckily, all the brakes had not yet decided to seek out a more meaningful existence) had the car towed back to the dealer and told him to stick it, then went out and bought a Honda. I guess he was not concerned for The Greater GoodTM as you or I.

Commissar Theocritus wrote:Yes, welcome CPC, to the Cube. Please do note that here we not only have the Public Option but we have the Public Jiffi-Lobo, which will help you on those sleepless nights when cognitive dissonance rears its ugly head.

I was so taken by your three-wheeled car that I had one of the wheels of my car removed. And it was a tremendous success. It was powered by the engine; the car doesn't get me anywhere; it does in circles; it makes lots of noise; it pisses everyone off.

Thank you Comrades Opiate of the People, Colonel 7.62 and Theocritus, for your warm welcome to the Cube, and for my instructions to get Jiffi-Lobos on a regular basis.

Comrade Theocritus,

Your idea on removing one wheel ought to be mandated by Dear Leader's Car Czar, for all cars, because it is such a great idea, and will give all prog motorists the sensation of moving forward.

I have long admired the wisdom of your postings, and have expressed my sentiments to Comrade Leninka between hen peckings, that a good nick name for you would be "Tio Theo."

CPC, I am nothing but one small cog in the wheel toward Universal Progdom. Anything that I can do to spread the religion of peace and irresponsibility I am glad to do. I am one of the proggiest people on the Cube because I'm the biggest wuss: when something happens I immediately climb on a chair and scream and shout and point fingers. "It's <i>his</i> fault!" and "I never said that!" even though it's my fault and I did say that. Read my lips. When they're moving, I'm lying. I'm a made progressive.

Opiate, in the 70s my parents were considering a new car and the big Ford had a gap between the frame and the door that you could put your hand in. That's why I drive an Acura. My first Acura got 360K miles before it stranded me--my mechanic bought it. He bought my second Acura for his wife. Tells you something about Hondas.

Thank progressiveness for Government Motors! What would we have done without them? Driven fuel-efficient SUVs so comfortable and hi-tech-laden we'd have driven more than is justifiable, that's what.

I look forward to the progressive of yesterday:

Government Motors joins government education and government post office and government space flight. Where would we be without NASA carrying all the water for the University of East Anglia? And NASA is refusing to release the raw temperature of the earth.

I love that in a science agency--completely stonewalling science. Lysenko would be proud.

Comrade Theocritus,

What you say is such a confidence builder. If I were Comrade Nanski, and I were to have NASA fly me to California (Nanski's time is precious, you know), I would have the utmost confidence in an organization like NASA, especially knowing that my spacecraft was built under the direction and supervision of Dear Leader and me (Nanski).

We still need to get Our Many Titted Empress to release the secrets of her Boeing Broom, which she used to fly all over the world. When Slick Willie was in the White House, they installed a VOR on the White House so that she could land in completely socked-in weather.

Our MTE's broom is so much greener than Nanski's 757, you know--she just stirs her cauldron, sits on it with her black cat, and zips off to wherever she wants to go.

And boy does her ass show up on radar.

I haven't even gotten to the post you made on the Chinese Bailout Post, and now this! I was in the middle of thinking about finger-licking rats, and you bring up Our Many Titted Empress and the secrets of her Boeing Broom.

Oh, there's a new troll about the Cube, Comrade Theocritus. Well, he's not quite in the Cube, yet, but I have linked his video in another post. Here he is. I'm dying to know his name so that we may immortalize him only in that fashion so famous here at the Cube. Here he is.

https://thepeoplescube.com/red/viewtopic.php?p=83127#83127<br>

Oh. Goody! A troll for Theocritus to play with? Bring Theocritus a troll!

Oh, Theocritus, I am so sorry. That troll's identity is, at present, sitting in a cold-case file. However, the minute I find out who he is, I will turn him over to you for a good impaling.

Thank you, Leninka. My family has foregone Christmas gifts and nothing would be a better one than a troll for my impaling.

Damn. I miss Gollum. And Pandora.

Perhaps this year, more trolls will come our way. They do seem to come out of the woodwork in election years. There's nothing quite like the application of logic to irrational comments like "Sarah Palin is a bimbo," "all Republicans are sex starved vein poppers," etc.

I have been studying Chinese astrology, and in the Year of the Tiger (occurs every twelve years) the following things happened:

1962 - Cuban missile crisis
1974 - The Watergate scandal and resignation of a president
1986 - Iran-Contra difficulties for President Reagan
1998 - Lewinskigate
2010 - ?

Could it be the election of Scott Brown? Not only is he against Obamacare, but he's against a good many other Prog causes. And what would that do to the Senate? It is lookism. Here's Scott as a <i>Cosmo</i> centerfold.<center>Image</center>Here is that most progressive senator Barbara Mikulski:<center>Image</center>
We cannot have that. I will not rest until the Senate is full of people as charming as Chuckie Schumer and Baba Mikulski.

And there's something else. Scott posed for this in 1982 when he was a student. He sold pictures of himself decades before he was in office. Whereas a proper progressive sells himself, herself, itself AND the republic, as soon as elected.

Cosmo has centerfolds, now? I haven't read a Cosmo in years. It got me into too much trouble when I did read it. Don't tell Bruno.

For Bruno a racy magazine is Victoria's secret.