America just before LBJ's Great Society and Bernie

[img]/images/America_Jetsons_Before_LBJ.jpg[/img]

Bernie Sanders Ad Uses Classic Simon & Garfunkel Song "America"

Paul Simon wrote America in 1964 after a trip driving around America with his girlfriend. The early and mid 1960s were an idyllic time in America. The wonderful optimism is very difficult to describe to people who weren't alive then. It was the time when people still believed in genuine progress, free-enterprise, and civilization... and talked about things in those terms. Because everything was getting better, and better, and better.

And then suddenly the sixties changed. The Left gained ascendancy and LBJ's Great Society started kicking in, wreaking havoc on the economy and society.

The song America was written just before the Left really got a chance to screw things up and turned what had been a wonderful era of prosperity into the 1970s.

Sanders has no idea what made America great, leading up to the era when Paul Simon wrote this song. And he certainly isn't going to take us back to the time before the Left really started to do harm to the country. Maybe what he should use as his song is Happy Days Are Here Again from FDR's campaign. As The Great Depression raged, it was the Democrats' song.

Well, they didn't call him "El B.J." for nothing.

Karl Marx Treatment Center wrote:

Paul Simon wrote America in 1964 after a trip driving around America with his girl-friend. The early and mid 1960's were an idyllic time in America. It's very difficult to describe to people that weren't alive the wonderful optimism. It was back when people still believed in progress, free-enterprise, and civilization... and talked about things in those terms. Because everything was getting better, and better, and better.

And then suddenly the sixties changed. The Left gained ascendancy and LBJ's [highlight=#ffff00]Great[/highlight] Society started kicking in, wreaking havoc on the economy and society.

The song America was written just before the Left really got a chance to screw things up and turned what had been a wonderful era of prosperity into the 1970's.

Sanders has no idea what made America great leading up to the era when Paul Simon wrote America and he certainly isn't going to take us back to the time before the Left really started to do harm to the country. Maybe what he should use as his song is Happy Days Are Here Again from FDR's campaign. As The Great Depression raged it was the Democrats song.

[OFF]

It depends on your definition of "great". To liberals and democrats, "great" means everything for them and nothing for the rest. "Great" means being able to censor things you don't like or want people to see. "Great" means committing crimes and getting off just because you're a democrat/liberal (See: Hillary and her servers).

Bernie doesn't know an iota about economics or even basic math from the looks of it, but he's offering up all this free stuff, so that's why he's so popular.

I wish I could've lived just a week in the late-50's/early 60's, I know the old saying that the grass is greener on the other side, but from what I've heard about it it sounds like it was magical compared to nowadays. Like the America that should be instead of the increasingly authoritarian nightmare it is.

"Great" means, or should be used to mean enormous, large, or massive. Big, in other words. As in "Great Pyramid." However, "great" was corrupted by Tony the Tiger in the 1960s into "good", "wonderful" or "nice."

It is linguistically correct to state "The Germans did great things in the Second World War." In fact I once did, and a liberal co-worker was scandalized. I pointed out the correct meaning, suggested looking in a dictionary, and concluded with "I did not say they were wonderful or nice things" -- though "wonderful" would apply as "of, or eliciting wonder." As also would "terrific" -- "of, or eliciting terror."

The Great Society surely qualifies as such. It's great and terrific.

As a matter of fact, it was Democrat President Lyndon Baines Johnson who stated, “I'll have those niggers voting Democratic for the next 200 years” as he confided with two like-minded governors on Air Force One regarding his underlying intentions for the “Great Society” programs.

Karl Marx Treatment Center wrote:Paul Simon wrote America in 1964 after a trip driving around America with his girl-friend.

Paul Simon had a girlfriend? I thought he was...

...uh, you know, uh...

...one of those...

uh, "like a three-dollar bill" people?

Mikhail Lysenkomann wrote:
Karl Marx Treatment Center wrote:Paul Simon wrote America in 1964 after a trip driving around America with his girl-friend.

Paul Simon had a girlfriend? I thought he was...

...uh, you know, uh...

...one of those...

uh, "like a three-dollar bill" people?

[OFF] with some facetiousness

I didn't know who Paul was. I looked up a picture of him. He looks like he has a printing press for 3 dollar bills.

And c'mon, just look at this video:

If that isn't queer I don't know what is! Not saying that that's bad though. I know a couple gay folks and they're some of the best people you could ever meet.

Paul Simon is gay? How come nobody tells me anything that's important!?

Image Actually he's not. He has four kids and has been married three times, including to Princess Leia (Carrie Fisher). Neither is Arthur Garfunkel gay.

But even if they were, what does that change? Do you think less of Elton John's music because he's gay?

Simon and Garfunkel are great artists and deserve all the praise they get. Their songs have always been at the top of my favorites. That doesn't mean we can't make fun of them.

"Homeward Bound" will be also be a great number for Bernie's concession speech.

Red Square wrote:Paul Simon is gay? How come nobody tells me anything that's important!?

Image Actually he's not. He has four kids and has been [highlight=#ffff00]married three times, including to Princess Leia (Carrie Fisher[/highlight]). Neither is Arthur Garfunkel gay.

But even if they were, what does that change? Do you think less of Elton John's music because he's gay?

Simon and Garfunkel are great artists and deserve all the praise they get. Their songs have always been at the top of my favorites. That doesn't mean we can't make fun of them.

Oh,... so Comrade Simon was married to Princess Leia from 83 to 84 - what's that prove, he wasn't gay for a whole year? Big deal! What about... hey, that Carrie Fisher is hot! I know! I'll bet she converted Simon for a while but it wore off. c'est la vie.

Red Square wrote: Do you think less of Elton John's music because he's gay?

Not at all, Comrade, not at all. I thought it was offal* for quite some time prior to when I learned he's tutti-fruity.

* Yes, pun intended.

Red Square wrote:Paul Simon is gay? How come nobody tells me anything that's important!?

Image Actually he's not. He has four kids and has been married three times, including to Princess Leia (Carrie Fisher). Neither is Arthur Garfunkel gay.

But even if they were, what does that change? Do you think less of [highlight=#ffff00]Elton John's music because he's gay? [/highlight]

Elton John is gay? I know he appears sweaty quite a bit. Take a look, he looks rather manly in a progressive kind of way. See...no tongues, he must be straight.

What a thing to see just before starting the weekend.

Conflating Simon and Garfunkel with Bernie Sanders made me laugh when I saw this poster that's circulating with my lib Facebook friends.

The comments are all very syrupy. Simon & Garfinkel wrote Cat's in the Cradle, made famous by Yusuf Islam, formerly known as Cat Stevens. There should be another picture of Bern with a dead cat and a shovel, and then it would be cradle to grave…

Berniecat.jpg

Unless the chap without glasses in gay too, Sir Elton is being a bit rude with the open-mouth smack, eh whot?