Notable/Quotable: Don't worry, be happy.

Scare quotes (also called shudder quotes, sneer quotes, and quibble marks) are quotation marks that writers place around a word or phrase to signal that they are using it in an ironic, referential, or otherwise non-standard sense..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scare_quotes

jackalopelipsky wrote:
10/12/2022, 4:23 pm
Scare quotes (also called shudder quotes, sneer quotes, and quibble marks) are quotation marks that writers place around a word or phrase to signal that they are using it in an ironic, referential, or otherwise non-standard sense..

I hate to disagree with such an agreeable comrade as yourself, but in this case it appears Bloomberg was merely indicating a direct quote (Bloomberg isn't hostile to the Leftist agenda).

Now, if I had written here about Biden's "slight recession," you could be sure I was using sneer quotes.

BTW: No part of my formal education in journalism and writing ever qualified punctuation in such a way. It's a relatively recent phenomenon, highly subjective and often only qualified by the eye of the beholder.  

A slight nuclear war is still possible.

The decline will be transitory. If you say otherwise you're a prosperitist. This country has a real problem with prosperitism.

You vill eat ze bugs, own nothing and BE HAPPY DAMN IT!

download (20).jpg

Never.

Mystery item No. 1

Colonel Obyezyana wrote:
10/12/2022, 4:46 pm
jackalopelipsky wrote:
10/12/2022, 4:23 pm

I hate to disagree with such an agreeable comrade as yourself, but in this case it appears Bloomberg was merely indicating a direct quote (Bloomberg isn't hostile to the Leftist agenda).

Now, if I had written here about Biden's "slight recession," you could be sure I was using sneer quotes.

BTW: No part of my formal education in journalism and writing ever qualified punctuation in such a way. It's a relatively recent phenomenon, highly subjective and often only qualified by the eye of the beholder.  

Agreed. Bloomberg use of quote marks on the words slight recession are meant to journalist’s style the reader into thinking the recession will be nothing more than precocious Miss Information, instead of a GWONT that’s going to hurt, really bad...not gentle, like past recessions before, while Bloomberg can maintain the facade of journalistic integrity.

Bank of America, second-largest bank in the world, is warning that the US economy will start shedding 175,000 jobs per month by next year...

Duke of URL wrote:
10/13/2022, 9:54 am
Bank of America, second-largest bank in the world, is warning that the US economy will start shedding 175,000 jobs per month by next year...

6iaOQ7xL-2822037519.jpg
Is that so?