Could the gun free zones be the problem?

[img]/images/various_uploads/Gun_Free_Zone_Body_Outline.jpg[/img]

[img]/red/images/clipart/karakteroff/OutOfCharacter.gif[/img]

So, let's talk about guns.

First, humans have a right to defend themselves. I'm no sociologist, but I find it strange that we live in a society where the right of self-defense is not a given, but possibly controversial. Some of the protest posters in the wake of the Florida shooting included slogans like, “What about me?” “Am I next?” and “Protect me, not your machine guns!” I know there's a lot of emotion in this, and there should be – innocent people were murdered in cold blood. But the mindset revealed in those slogans seems to be something along the lines of, “I can't defend myself, so when is somebody else going to do something to make sure I'm safe?” If we get into the habit of passively waiting for someone else to intervene in our life and death struggle, then we increase our likelihood of being the next victim.
Not only do people have a right to self-defense, our government is one of the few which from its foundation protects that right. For more, I recommend James Madison's Federalist #46 where he explains the need for an armed citizenry as a check against government tyranny.
It's true that Israel and Switzerland have heavily armed citizens and low crime rates. America seems to contradict that rule, but when cities with the strongest gun control laws are removed from the statistics, the overall crime rate plummets. There are exceptions, but strict gun control laws tend to give criminals the advantage and are usually accompanied by high crime rates. Add to that a media culture that promotes violence, and the problem gets worse as human life becomes devalued first virtually, then really.
Most mass shootings and I believe all school shootings have taken place in gun free zones. Police may be able to arrive within minutes, but assessing the situation and responding to it allow the shooter about 20 minutes of an unhindered murder spree before he can be stopped. The gun free zone is read by the shooter as a free fire zone and assures him that he has easy prey. This is why gun free zones are preferred by mass murderers, and it's also why it's time to reconsider whether we should continue to herd our children into them in post Columbine America.
Should we arm teachers? There is a breadth of opinion from those who are horrified at the thought of arming teachers to those who think it's a good idea. If you are a fellow teacher and passionately opposed to carrying a gun to school, then please don't. All teachers shouldn't be armed for reasons of personal conviction, temperament, and physical ability, and so some schools prefer a stronger police presence, a police substation on campus, etc. So here's an idea: let the administration decide on if and how to provide more armed protection for students. Some schools will continue to choose to go without guns, but they should at least be given the opportunity to be ready for that moment of crisis when seconds, much more minutes, mean lives saved or lost.
But could something go wrong with armed teachers? Of course. This point has been made, and sometimes absurdly overmade, but it's still a very valid point. That's why the training is so important. In a dynamic, chaotic, and terrifying situation, things can go wrong – in fact, have already gone wrong, and yes, there exists the possibility of an innocent student being killed by friendly fire. But, if the crisis happens in your school, would your first thought be, “I'm so glad I'm unarmed!” There is no perfect solution, but trained staff having the ability to shoot back will make a shooter prefer a school where he doesn't face that hazard, which is nearly all schools at the moment.
Wrapping this up, let me mention what I learned as I dropped by a gun store over the weekend. One of the salesmen told me that the previous day he had seen a mother and her son. Their house was broken into, and the mother was raped while the son was held to the ground with a pistol shoved into his forehead. They didn't even have the chance to call the police. The young man still had the ring of the muzzle imprinted on his forehead when he and his mother came to the gun store. They experienced the brutality that some humans are capable of inflicting, and they have made the choice not to be victims again. Shouldn't that choice be extended to our schools, or will we continue to put our faith in the gun free zone sign to protect our children?

To all comrades:

Facts can only be used when they support our prog-narrative. All that contradicts it is by definition an "alt-fact" and "fake news."

Therefore, by simple logic, the graph below is an alt-graph, possibly created by Russian bots to make CNN look bad. It needs to be discarded, purged from all web pages, and owners of such web pages reported to Snopes, PolitiFact, and the FacebookGoogleTwitter conglomerate as violators of community standards.

Gun_Free_Graph.jpg

Well said; look at Chicago, where crime is as much as there is fervor for gun control. You had just iterated every point I had said back in high school - never-mind the fact I was the only one who brought these points, a.k.a a different perception, but everyone seemed to see a valid point in them when they did hear them.

Komissar al-Bloqunov says:
…..But could something go wrong with armed teachers? Of course. This point has been made, and sometimes absurdly overmade, but it's still a very valid point. That's why the training is so important. In a dynamic, chaotic, and terrifying situation, things can go wrong – in fact, have already gone wrong, and yes, there exists the possibility of an innocent student being killed by friendly fire. But, if the crisis happens in your school, would your first thought be, “I'm so glad I'm unarmed!”

Yes and while the NRA, those purveyors of gun show loopholes and their inbred deplorables huddle in their dimly lit corners, at least now we can all agree that gun free zones around schools do not work. Whether you are in favor of open borders, illegal immigration, indigenous transgendered people or forfeiture of all your identity and the right to wear nipple rings with rainbow dresses, at this time very moment in time we should consider forfeiture of sensible thoughts to force make all of our progressive ideas that work. As the ongoing work to change our living breathing constitution to reflect our liberated attitudes from the haze of conservative ideology, I urge all Americans whether illegal or not to ridicule call on all of our representatives to make all 57 states gun free zones. Perhaps at this time, we should also consider modifying the Statue of Liberty and replace it with a large illuminated sign proclaiming that all 57 states are part of this glorious gun free country and finally send a message to the world that we mean business.

The people's Anthony Sullivan wrote:Well said; look at Chicago, where crime is as much as there is fervor for gun control. You had just iterated every point I had said back in high school - never-mind the fact I was the only one who brought these points, a.k.a a different perception, but everyone seemed to see a valid point in them when they did hear them.
And speaking of high school, I still remember a classmate in the parking lot of my high school sitting on the tailgate of his station wagon showing off his Springfield rifle. No violence, no panicking, no police, no therapeutic interventions, etc. But then again, I graduated in '79.

Oh, and no mass shootings then, either. In spite of the .22s being fired on the JROTC rifle range.

Komissar al-Blogunov,

Between your comment (from your most equal post) of...............

but when cities with the strongest gun control laws are removed from the statistics, the overall crime rate plummets.

and The people's Anthony Sullivan's comment.......

look at Chicago

you guys reminded me of my favorite site for keeping up with the Community Organizers's hometown!!!

They have ALL the current statistics on how it's going in the utopia city of 'gun free zones' .

'Illustrating Chicago Values' everyday.....HEY JACKASS.

Make sure you go to the bottom where my favorite categories are.....

Shot-in-The-Ass-O-Meter
Selfie-O-Meter

and my personal favorite,

Shot-In-The-Junk-O-Meter

https://heyjackass.com

If we lose the AR-15, what other weapons will the government decide we don't "need"? The next weapon used in a crime will be the next weapon banned, until the unarmed citizens are first rendered victims and then subjects.

Well, not according to the Swiss:

Switzerland has one of the highest rates of gun ownership in the world, but little gun-related street crime - so some opponents of gun control hail it as a place where firearms play a positive role in society. However, Swiss gun culture is unique, and guns are more tightly regulated than many assume.

https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-21379912

A Swiss man responds to the EU asking switzerland to disallow gun ownership.
"We will give up our arms, but only with our lives."
It's a nice country for a last stand of the West. Good skiing. Good cheese. The wines... well, it's an acquired taste.
https://www.liberalarms.ch/

Comrades,

A wise man named Lenin once said, "Give me four years to teach the children and the seed I have sown will never be uprooted." Today he has 16+ years to work his magic.

Komissar al-Blogunov wrote:If we lose the AR-15, what other weapons will the government decide we don't "need"? The next weapon used in a crime will be the next weapon banned, until the unarmed citizens are first rendered victims and then subjects.

History repeats itself... this seen on a protest sign displayed by a gentleman in a toga, long ago...

"Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt."

* "When catapults are outlawed, only outlaws will have catapults"

Komissar al-Blogunov wrote:
If we lose the AR-15, what other weapons will the government decide we don't "need"? The next weapon used in a crime will be the next weapon banned, until the unarmed citizens are first rendered victims and then subjects.

Ah yes, the ol' "Domino Effect." Then they will ban dominoes so they can proceed, unabated, with their "Domino Effect."

Ivan the Stakhanovets wrote:
Komissar al-Blogunov wrote:If we lose the AR-15, what other weapons will the government decide we don't "need"? The next weapon used in a crime will be the next weapon banned, until the unarmed citizens are first rendered victims and then subjects.

History repeats itself... this seen on a protest sign displayed by a gentleman in a toga, long ago...

"Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt."

* "When catapults are outlawed, only outlaws will have catapults"
I served as a 13E in Vespasian's XII Catapult Legion (horse drawn 155s), and I can assure you that nobody needs an assault catapult. That's why I joined Legionnaires for Common Sense Catapult Control.