A nice little Russian Band

As the holidays as the approach out will come all the trappings of the season including the overwhelming capitalist displays of fiscal exuberance as well as the decadent songs they play over and over amid the gluttony of this time of year. As we are forced to endure chorus after chorus of "Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer" I offer these selections to add to your library so that you may be able to interject some sanity as well as progressive music into this otherwise time of capitalist excess. These will also make those forced family gatherings more palatable. Comrades I give you the Trans-Siberian Orchestra

Link to Christmas Eve and Other Stories

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cP26ndrmtg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHioIlbnS_A&feature=channel

Bah! I despise the holidays and their bourgeois gift giving rituals. However, if any are so inclined a cozy sweater or slippers would be most welcome since my dacha is so drafty.

Comrade Whoopie,

I need to remind you of the correct ecological understanding. Those so called "drafts" are refreshing gifts of mother nature that are for your benefit.

Do not think of yourself as cold, but on the initial steps of developing immunity to frigid cold.

This process will either resolve itself or leave you frozen stiff. Either way, you have nothing to worry about.

The thing you have to worry about is you falling beet productivity. If this is not resolved and quickly, Igor will be paying you a visit. After you have seen him, you will have nothing to worry about comrade. Do you see where this can go?

Pick more, pull more, spend more time, or the issue will resolve itself!

While the Trans-Siberian Orchestra is an American band, their most famous piece is a take on the old Ukrainian carol with an interesting history. It is known here as Carol of the Bells, which has taken a life of its own in popular culture, including commercial jingles.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carol_of_the_Bells

The song is based on a traditional folk chant whose language was thought to have magical properties, because of the manner in which it manipulated the number 3. The original traditional Ukrainian text used a device, known as hemiola, in the rhythm (alternating the accents within each measure from 3/4 to 6/8 and back again). This device however is lost in the English translations and rarely is used in non-Ukrainian performances. The ostinato motif, a repeated four-note pattern within the range of a minor third is thought to be of prehistoric origins with magical implications. It was associated with the coming New Year which, in pre-Christian Ukraine, was originally celebrated in April.
With the introduction of Christianity to Ukraine, the celebration of the New Year was moved from April to January, and the holiday the chant originally was associated with became the Feast of Epiphany (also known in Ukrainian as Shchedry vechir). The songs sung for this celebration are known as Schedrivky.

To clarify some confusion, during the introduction of Christianity "Ukraine" didn't exist yet - the country was called "Kievan Rus" with its capital in Kiev, comprised of many Eastern Slav principalities, which were later split into Ukraine and Russia.

One other tidbit....

Sarejevo12/24 was released by Savatage in '95 on the album Long Winter Dead. It became a sleeper hit. When the writers were approached with...People like Sarejevo 12/24 they don't like Savatage.... Trans Siberian Orchestra was born with the release of Christmas Eve and other Stories. The album was going to press whe the name was applied. The front line of TSO are the members of Savatage, they add vocalists and strings. They are awesome to see live.

[img]/red/images/clipart/Prog_Off.gif[/img]
It is fascinating to me how many people can celebrate the birth of someone they don't like and make every effort to avoid. I was once one of those who remain lost.
GM: Thanks for the videos.... R.S. thanks for the history of my favorite carol.