Bernie Sanders suspends campaign, endorses Clinton

Sanders_Hillary_Handshake.jpg
Durham, NH – Senator and Democratic presidential hopeful Bernie Sanders abruptly suspended his campaign following tonight's debate, and Hillary Clinton has graciously accepted his endorsement. As is often the case when a candidate withdraws from a race, the announcement came directly from his opponent during a post-debate interview with moderator Rachel Maddow.

Clinton appeared distracted by her phone as Maddow questioned her on points made by Sanders regarding income inequality, but as Maddow concluded, Clinton exclaimed, “my opponent made valid arguments that I think merit serious consideration, but I am pleased to announce that he has dropped out of the race and given me his endorsement. I urge the supporters of Senator Sanders to honor his wishes and direct their enthusiasm to make a Hillary Clinton presidency a reality.”

The move is not totally unexpected, as Sanders had limited finances and little chance of carrying any state beyond New Hampshire. He has reportedly decided to take a much needed vacation after months of running a passionate, if largely fruitless, campaign.

Some commentators, particularly those on the Republican side, questioned the circumstances surrounding the announcement. Minutes after the debate, Clinton posted, "why hasn't Sanders been fed into the hay baler yet?" on Huma Abedin's Facebook wall, and Abedin responded, "five minutes. There was traffic.”

Stories of similar evidence of Clinton's purported wrongdoing have never gained traction in the past, and the announcement clears the way for her to direct attention and resources towards the eventual GOP nominee.

“Bernie Sanders ran an honorable race and contributed valuable insights into the direction that we need to go, but his concession makes the party stronger,” tweeted Democratic Party Chairwoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz, adding the hashtag #BernHillaryBern.

Nothin' to see here folks...move along.