Caring Progressives in San Francisco tax homeless person

Caring government officials from the People's Republik of San Francisco, have in the interests of the Common Good(TM) found that a homeless man who has kicked his alcohol habit and now runs a successful shoe shine operation on a sidewalk instead of pan handling requires a license, which would cost him most of the money he has saved in order to move off the streets for the first time in years and into real housing.

Comrades, this is important and shows the wisdom of The Party(TM). We cannot allow proles to show iniative, nor think for themselves, nor work to better themselves. By demanding a license and most of the money this person has saved up through work, shows that each prole belongs in their place.

Image I DENOUNCE San Francisco for this kind of heartless bullshit. The man was finally making something of himself and WORKING towards a better life. Assholes. Good for those who are helping this person get back on his feet. He didn't ask for help, but actually was WORKING to get to where he wanted to be. THAT is America folks. Individuals working to improve themselves. I never have qualms about offering help to someone who has shown iniative and effort.

I denounce all Amerikkkan cities for not licensing street corner windshield washers, panhandlers, and - in one cities case - maps to the stars salespersons!

prog off

This is really total B.S. If S.F. is as progressive as they claim they are, why not institute a sliding scale for business license fees based on anticipated revenue? Oops, I forgot, they are only progressive when it comes to civil rights and uses of certain opiates...

{off} not even progressive in all civil rights. Can't keep a gun in city owned housing for instance. They are only prog in the "fashionable" civil rights, and only then as applies to the left.

I believe that Prog SF spent about $15 million on an animal shelter--each animal gets its own room and with a television. And adopted animals with medical problems have their vet bills guaranteed.

The homeless complained that the animals got better treatment than they did.

But if someone protests too close to an abortion clinic, he can be locked up.

Let us celebrate this wonderful move comrades! Soon, by taxing him to the core, he will fall back into the street and join us in our progressive overthrow of the government of AmeriKKKa.

(off)
Leave it to the most liberal city, in the most liberal state, which makes it also the most liberal city in the Union to do something like this. Isn't there a saying, "I hope I never see LA"? Let us rearrange this so it reads, "I hope I never see California."

Ahhh... Wham Bahm Crisco, home of The Glorious Dykes On Bykes Parade where the Kapitalist Pig police know there place! Birth place of The Glorius Dionysian Burning Man festival. Where Kolumbus Day parades are properly marginalized and protested! That'll teach that Kapitalist thug shoe shine man!

Sometimes I'm so believable I scare myself! Boo! Work and self respect is a crime even for those most needy, I know how he feels. Can it get any sicker? Oh yes, the pedagogy of The Wall... I think I'll just stay in karakter now...

And didn't they in Berkley give dolphins full human rights? Or was that Malibu?

I am so irritated that the tuna is advertised as being dolphin-free. Dolphin is even better than albacore.

Guerrilla Girl rights Commissar! Human Rights are those things we give to poor starving proles in third world countries who don't know how to kick and scream and whine and ride their motorcycles over Pigs feet as well as us madprogs in the USSA.

I'm sure we can get the dolphin back into tuna Commissar, why even the USSR got oil to grace the vast pure waters of there environment in the end.

On our way Commissar... now what about Jodin Morey's Congressional Medal?

I am currently redefining the Congressional Medal of Honor. It is unfair that only military personnel get it, when there are so many socially conscious people who deserve it more. I am sure that Jodin Morey will get what's coming to him.

I'm seeing to that. All the time.

{off}
Being the bored asshole that I am sometimes, I took the time to write a letter to the San Francisco Department of Public Works, the entity which bothered Comrade Moore. I even told them that SF would not be getting any of my vacation dollars this year (they never do, but hey, who cares?) Here is their reply.

Thanks for your email and your concern. I want to clarify part of the June 4th story “Homeless Shoe Shine Man Gets Scuffed by City” about Mr. Moore and DPW's interaction about a permit for a shoe shine business on Market Street. DPW only informed Mr. Moore that operating a business on the sidewalk requires a permit. We did not threaten any action, did not target Mr. Moore – we visited all of the sidewalk vendors along and around Market Street. We want to make sure everyone knows their responsibilities as a sidewalk vendor, so the sidewalks can be kept clear and accessible for everyone to use. Let me stress - DPW will work with and help Mr. Moore. As stated to the Chronicle, we don't know people's circumstances when we inform them about the law, but when asked for help, we do everything we can to offer support and we will do so in this case. We are going to help him get a permit and make sure he can operate his business while that happens. Thanks, again for your email.

Image(really like this PROG OFF image, so happy and colorful!)

Uhhhhuhhhhhh....typical SF Bayski Areaski politics all about the aristocracy of pull. Had you wrote them and told them you were appalled with the story and that the man should be yanked from the street they probably would have said "Yes, We Agree!" Had the story never been printed he'd a got the shaft without a word. Meanwhile every year events like the Dykes on Bike Parade and Bicycle Fascist Day takes over the streets WITHOUT PERMITS in an utterly aggressive way and the local police force and politicians just roll over. I hope The SF Bayski Areaski goes to hell!

Reminds of this article:

Model Rights Watch: Will TV producers continue abusing genetic mutants? "Make Me a Supermodel" and "Running in Heels" caught experimenting on good-looking humans!

By Heather Havrilesky

March 1, 2009 | Moving from San Francisco to Los Angeles is sort of like leaving work at a local public radio affiliate to take a job at Disney. As bored as you might be with black horn-rimmed glasses, crappy wages, precious conversations about current tensions in Ghana, fake hipster country bands and bitter beer, it's hard to leave the welcoming folds of pseudo-intellectual alterna-conformity. San Francisco is a damp and sticky balm for the nation's overthinking, underachieving outcasts.

Los Angeles has its own outcasts, of course, but at first they're difficult to find. You're surrounded by people who wear bright, shiny clothes and unabashedly scan you from head to toe in order to make a crucial preliminary visual assessment of your net worth. Unlike in San Francisco or New York, you don't open conversations by complaining, and you never, ever insult models.

A few months after I moved to L.A., I went to a party in Hollywood and mentioned to my friend that everywhere I went, there seemed to be models taking pictures of each other with tiny cameras. It was true: I'd just had the misfortune, the night before, of being the only woman at a house in the Hollywood Hills who was a) still fully clothed and, not coincidentally, b) not a model. As the models frolicked nakedly in the pool and then did naked yoga on the lawn, all the while snapping naked pictures of each other on their minuscule silver cameras, I felt like a lumpy, sullen prude. Under normal circumstances, I might be naked, too. But naked among models? That had post-traumatic stress repercussions.

Having narrowly escaped model-induced self-loathing the night before, I felt less genetically privileged and more badly dressed than usual at the party, so I quietly griped about bony, picture-snapping mutants in my midst. Some gel-headed guy passing by heard me and leaned in to ask, "What's wrong with models?" in the same tone you might say, "What's your problem with raw tomatoes, anyway?" or "What's so bad about oxygen, exactly?"

I was shocked. Back in San Francisco, we all agreed that models were annoying. The word "model" was practically a synonym for "annoying." This was easy to get away with, because there weren't any models around, and the people who did resemble models were careful to disguise their natural good looks with greasy, bedheaded hair and soiled jeans and unflattering plaid ruffled thrift-store tops. But in Los Angeles, the populace rallied around the genetically superior, silently agreeing that ugly people were the world's natural outcasts.

Mutants rule

This goes part of the way toward explaining why shows about models make it to the air here in the city of airbrushed angels: Any excuse for collecting a bunch of tall, skinny, attractive people in one place is seen as deeply worthwhile. That said, the best shows about modeling embrace the same punishingly aloof attitude as they might in the worldwide capitals of fashion, New York and Milan and Paris, where unproven good-looking humans aren't greeted with unconditional love and respect the way they would be here in LA. Instead, they're heaped with the same dismissive indifference deserving of any wobbly-legged neophyte, new to the impossibly glamorous and special universe of high fashion.

No wonder Bravo's New York-based "Make Me a Supermodel" (premieres 10 p.m. Wednesday, March 4) has supplanted CW's irrevocably Los Angelized "America's Next Top Model" (premieres 8 p.m. Wednesday, March 4) as the on-air modeling fiesta of choice. Intent on exalting the sophisticated world of high-end fashion while simultaneously demeaning those who have the gall to imagine they could become a part of it, "Make Me a Supermodel" improves on all of the best elements of the first few seasons of "America's Next Top Model" while tossing out some of its more cloying and obnoxious elements (aka squealing girls, extended discussions about/vehement denial of eating disorders, and increasingly outsize interruptions from former supermodel and self-proclaimed media mogul Tyra Banks).

First of all, "Make Me a Supermodel" features both male and female models, which puts a merciful damper on the amount of screeching, suspicions regarding bulimia, and bulimia-inducing comments about ballooning ass sizes. Secondly, the producers of "Make Me a Supermodel" are careful to force the pretty boy and girl contestants into their underwear or swimwear at every turn, embarrassing and demeaning them as much as is required to create quality television. Unlike ANTM's "Come to Jesus" encounters, in which Tyra's fragile young girlfriends are urged to bare their souls, spilling out stories of teenage pregnancies and childhoods in the ghetto and uncles who touched them in inappropriate ways as Tyra purses her glossy lips and bats her fake 2-inch eyelashes sympathetically, "Make Me a Supermodel" features measuring sessions in which the models are asked to strip to their underwear; then they're surveyed with a tape measure by some casually world-weary modeling guru who might as well be installing carpet, for all of his diplomacy and tact. Pecs are scrutinized and found wanting. Asses are declared unacceptable and unwieldy. Modeling agent Cory Bautista, who admits, mid-measure, that he himself has the body of a Teletubby, blithely commands the models to transform their genetically predetermined shapes through whatever pathologically obsessive means necessary to remain in the competition.

And we know he's right because, as we witnessed in the first season, the judges of "Make Me a Supermodel" aren't exactly warm, engaging, welcoming human beings. They're highly acclaimed professionals who've touched the gilded hem of the ultra-glamorous international fashion industry, and they don't take kindly to misshapen mortals who refuse to compulsively monitor and limit their caloric intake. Failing to do so, in fact, amounts to utter incompetence and neglect in their eyes.

The best part, though, is when the judges use a clumsy runway walk or a disappointing photo shoot as an excuse to question the very soul of the model in front of them. "I feel that you are missing spontaneity and charm and emotion," fashion designer Catherine Malandrino tells one model in this season's premiere episode, "and this is what we want to see on the runway." The model winces while the other competitors nervously shift their feet in their 9-inch stilettos or tug at their ill-fitting tapered Prada pants. You can almost see them making mental notes to themselves to remember to express their spontaneity and charm and emotion every time they walk down the runway -- whatever that entails, exactly. Kicking up a heel? Laughing out loud, with gusto? Malandrino has just offered the sort of abstract deconstructive criticism that can keep a young, underfed filly awake at night, tossing and turning in her standard, twin-size, Ikea-issued "Make Me a Supermodel" bunk bed.

Nasty stuff. One of my favorites is <i>Project Runway</i> which shows people who look at the world in an entirely different way. Most of my life I have viewed it scientifically, and here are people who exist to make other people look good. Facts are subjective; the universe is ignored. It's fascinating anthropology to me.

That'll teach the kkkapitalist pig to think that he can work to better himself instead of relying on government welfare.

What a bunch of useless bureaucrats, telling a poor homeless man he isn't allowed to work to better himself. Why are our tax dollars going to pay their salaries again? I'd fire them right away and then tell them they need a permit to apply for another job anywhere.

Term limits for everyone in government. EVERYONE. It would be wonderfully clarifying to the mind for them to know that they would have to find a real job at one time.

100% Agreed. Term limits! Term limits! Term limits! Our offices of government were never meant to be a grifters paradise. Public service should be public service, period! They should be little more than petty accountants with Constitutional adherence and A REAL DAY JOB!

Image I mean term limits for everything, including clerking jobs. Janitorial jobs, which could be contracted out. Well, so could clerking jobs. I mean <i>every goddamned job in government</i>. I deal with government daily and have for nearly all of my life. I get along with them. I like them. But every single person who puts his snout and trotters into the public trough manages to like the swill so much that he is corrupted.

I once served as a member on a water district--I was appointed twice. A tiny, useless district with no money. Hell, I have more money that it does, but then it's water district which doesn't deliver water, so I don't have to be Croesus. I found myself spending OPM more readily than I do my own. Even I was doing that.

There should be term limits on the cockroaches in the courthouse.

Dammit, I'm with you Commissar!I've worked Union jobs a plenty, I know the swill. I would work my ass off like anyone with a decent work ethic should, the gawddamed Union proles would do everything they could to make the job drag on and on. They would constantly get on my ass about doing too much and purposely sabotage my work to slow me down.

The predatorial nature of packs of grifters and swine is something I am very familiar with. One becomes very attune to the nature of gang warfare and grifting where I am from.

I must admit from the reply that Colonel 7.62 received from the Department of Public Works in San Francisco, that they have some pretty sharp employees slurping on the public trough there.

We did not threaten any action, did not target Mr. Moore – we visited all of the sidewalk vendors along and around Market Street. We want to make sure everyone knows their responsibilities as a sidewalk vendor, so the sidewalks can be kept clear and accessible for everyone to use.

I'm sure after they took the time to explain his responsibilities as a sidewalk vendor, that Mr. Moore will keep the sidewalk clear and accessible for everyone to use now. After all he is running a SHOESHINE business. A business that inherently by it's very nature BLOCKS PEDESTRIAN TRAFFIC, as he wipes down somebodies loafers, RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE SIDEWALK.

I'm sure now he is OFF THE MAIN SIDEWALK and off to side, and actually has to watch his POTENTIAL CUSTOMERS walk by him and actually has to ENTICE THEM to come over to his little space for a shine. A hard lesson for him but the Government thank goodness was there to help.

I'm glad to see the Peoples Government at it's finest here in educating the unwashed masses, as to proper SHOESHINE Business practices.

My problem is that Mr. Moore seems to be interested in taking charge of his own life. This cannot be countenanced. If people actually take responsibility, we lose power.

People ought to be passive. Make them apply for permits. Make them pay money. Tell them that they are disenfranchised.

But above all, <i>do not let them be in charge of their own lives</i>.

Commissar Theocritus wrote:Image I mean term limits for everything, including clerking jobs. Janitorial jobs, which could be contracted out. Well, so could clerking jobs. I mean <i>every goddamned job in government</i>. I deal with government daily and have for nearly all of my life. I get along with them. I like them. But every single person who puts his snout and trotters into the public trough manages to like the swill so much that he is corrupted.

I once served as a member on a water district--I was appointed twice. A tiny, useless district with no money. Hell, I have more money that it does, but then it's water district which doesn't deliver water, so I don't have to be Croesus. I found myself spending OPM more readily than I do my own. Even I was doing that.

There should be term limits on the cockroaches in the courthouse.

Term limits are a fabulous progressive idea! As long as the term limits for Party Apparatchiks, members of the Verkhovnyi Kongress and Premier Obama will coincide with their respective "First Day of Eternal Glorification in Mausoleum on The National Mall" - minus one. Since some of the aforementioned will not get eternal glorification, they will be necro-apparatchiks and necro-Kongresspeople.

Genosse Pieck, with some Congressthings, it will be very difficult to tell when they have crossed the line into being necro-Congressthings. The necrosis started in the prefrontal lobes, of course--why do you think that I started up Jiffi-Lobo--but continues throughout all of the cranium.

With Speakerette Nansky how can we tell when she's become Necro-Speakerette? I suggest that we all read <i>Dracula</i>. The proper way to make sure that one does not rise from the dead is a stake through the heart, cutting off the head and filling the mouth with garlic.

I'm not sure that that would be effective, but filling the mouth with enough garlic would inhibit that damned bitch talking.

Comrade Commissar,

I believe I have a solution to the dilemma. At the next joint session of the two chambers of Congress, play "Thriller." Any necro-Congressthing as well as attending Party necro-Apparatchiks will start dancing in youth-corrupting ways reeking of western imperialism, meaning they must be dispatched at once (with the aid of blunt end of our shovels in lieu of the stake) so we can eternally glorify them henceforth.

I would enjoy the garlic induced muffled screeching of necro-Speakerette Peloski as well, though. Reminds me of my stasi days. Decisions, decisions...

Pieck, I share your thoughts about dear Speakerette Nansky Peloski. In fact I have just recently sharpened up a particularly fine impaling spike in my south forty. I have one next to it for Bonnie Fwank and I promise you this is <i>not</i> an impaling that he will like.

Dear Bonnie. Just got the White House to intervene to keep a GM plant in his district from closing. Well, we need dear Bonnie since only 42% of buyers are even a little bit likely to buy another GM.

We will <i>force</i> them to by taxing the foreign-car makers with a 50% import duty, even if the car is made in AmeriKKKa. If the boardroom is in Tokyo or Seoul, then it's a 50% import duty. That way our brothers in the UAW can be assured of as much featherbedding and sabotage as they can reasonably put in.

Not so long ago, I read something claiming that SF pays its bums about $400 month. However, records are a problem for both the paying office and the recipients, so many collect their $400 monthly a few times a month. Tax revenues at work!

Wherever I read that article, I continued to the comments, which included a number to the effect of "Damn, the secret's out. Now SFers will demand the program be cut and all the human flotsam will waft into our suburb/town."

Never followed up because, well, I say I care and that's enough, right?

I think that the good thing for the suburbs to do would be to advertise the generous benefits of SF, whether they are true or not.

In fact I think that I'm going to do that in Texas.

In the 60s and 70s many people in Texas made a beeline for California for the welfare. Texas is not noted for being generous.