Confession of a Reluctant Tea-Partier

https://www.americanthinker.com/2011/06 ... rtier.html

By Luba Sindler

In the Soviet Union any mass expression of public sentiment was by definition a fraud. To participate in a demonstration of any kind meant a waste of a perfectly good day. All organizations got their quotas to provide a certain amount of bodies to march through the town celebrating state holidays. Being a child was no excuse -- I remember taking part in an annual May Day demonstration as a 10-year-old member of an ice-skating girls' group. The sacred duty of any self-respecting citizen was to avoid being drafted at all costs. I could not imagine that intelligent people could spend time and energy coming to a rally of their own free will.

When candidate Obama showed up, I realized that I had heard his typical stump speech every single day of my old Soviet life from big and small Communist party bosses -- the same structure, the same cadences, the same bogeymen, the same demagoguery, the same targets. The American people had no defense against this rhetoric. The result of the elections was totally predictable. To me it was a "Back to the Future" moment.

Yes, many a Soviet came to America in search of freedom only discover the Democrat Party was aleady here.