Eminent Domain: Coming Soon to a Neighborhood Near You

(It Could Be Yours)

What a glorious day in the history of American jurisprudence! In a split 5 – 4 ruling, the Supreme Court expanded the purview of "eminent domain", making it lawful for local governments to arbitrarily seize someone's private property, against their will, so that developers may "improve" it in a manner that will generate greater tax revenues for city and/or county treasuries. The judiciary, in its vast wisdom, has essentially decreed that fattening up the coffers of local governments, at the expense of personal liberty, is a vital public interest.

Once again, the court has used its influence to encroach upon the concepts of individualism and private property rights as enshrined in the reactionary, bourgeois documents known as The Constitution and The Federalist Papers. Let's hear it for the Supremes, especially the courageous five justices: Kennedy, Ginsburg, Souter, Stevens, and Breyer!

I hope that they seize and "improve" my property!

The People's Tax Assessor
Sorry Kommissar Betty, we're only interested in "property" of value--not your flea-bitten tenement dwelling flat. You should be proud, nonetheless, because your meager accommodations distinguish you as a member of the virtuous proletariat.

Komrade Tax Assessor,

Komissar Betty has shown her loyalty to the party. Remember comrade Tax Assessor, we are all equal, but some are more equal than others. Komissar Betty already is doing her job for the people, living in the old bougeois zone. Betty has proven that she is able to withstand the temptation of success and status. That is why she is living in superior housing to the rest, because she can resist the temptation of her bigger house meaning that she works harder than others.

I too live in the old bougeois zone, I can tell you, it is only a sight for those of us who understand the dangers of "comfortable living".

-Komrade Koz

PS: If you know anyone who needs any extra shovels, a fresh shipment just came in from Moscow.

The People's Tax Assessor
In cities across the country, we are working zealously in partnership with local government officials to bulldoze scenically situated neighborhoods for the purpose of erecting Karl Marx Treatment Centers in their place. Soon every city will be vastly improved!

PTA,

You will not touch my house Komrade. I am doing the proletariat a great favor by bravely living in the better housing. I am taking on the brunt of resiting bourgeois thoughts, which if they lived in such dwellings, they could not resist.

While I am as equal as the next man, the party has recognized that I am more equal than most. I am sure that Komrade Betty, and the others agree with me.

-Komrade Koz

The Apparatchiks at the Ministry of Taxation have reported your defiant, self-important tone to The Thought Police. Your insolence toward The People's Tax Assessor reeks of bourgeois individualism. If the Party deems it necessary to demolish your house, and those surrounding it, for the purpose of constructing a new Karl Marx Treatment Center, then it will do so with the backing of the Supreme Court.

Beware of the black maria; it could show up anytime now!