Father Prog Theocritus, Rest in Peace

Theocritus_Portrait_RIP.jpg

PROG OFF

It is with great sadness that I break the news: the man of great character, known to the People's Cube readers as Father Prog Theocritus, has died last month at the age of 58 of health complications in his home town of Pecos, Texas.

As I know most of you will agree, The People's Cube would not have been the same without Theocritus.

He has made more posts on the Cube than any other member - a total of 10,136 - having enriched the People's folklore with unforgettable tales and concepts: JiffyLobo, Made Prog, Compassionate Impaling, Our Many Titted Empress (MTE), and wild parties at Rancho del Rio Grande were only some of his original coinages.

[img]/images/avatars/Theo_Vlad.png[/img]
Theocritus joined the People's Cube in December of 2006 as a mere lowly prole, with a signature "Asuccessful paranoid never knows if he had to be." In recognition of his talents, he quickly joined the Party Elite in the rank of Commissar of Compassionate Impaling. Six and a half years and more than ten thousand posts later, he was known around the kollektive as Father Prog Theocritus, Director of Unanimous Caring, Conspicuous Compassion, and Communal Impaling for the Common Good.

Being a member of our kollektive gave him so much joy that, in addition to adorning this site with his sharp, witty comments and imaginative stories and characters, he also helped to "keep the Cube rolling" with several generous donations to our cause.

Outside of the Cube, Theocritus was known as David Austin Stephens - a successful businessman and an erudite with enough knowledge of mathematics and software engineering to design his own computer program that was running on his employees' workstations.

Well-read and well-versed in many subjects, he was never a passive observer, writing well-crafted, incisive political commentary on this and other websites. He loved classical music, playing Mozart on his piano and donating thousands of dollars to the local chamber orchestra. He was devoted to his cat named Calvin - a huge, long-haired orange ex-tom who believed he owned the world. And, like many of us here, he was an avid fan of Ayn Rand.

At the People's Cube, he was a resident expert on all things gay for a reason: by his own admission, coming out of the closet as a gay man was the best decision he had ever made. An honest and outspoken man, he hated the period of his life he had spent hiding his sexuality, afraid of being rejected by the people close to him. But a serious brush with death in a hospital a few years ago changed the way he looked at things. David decided to spend the rest of his life pursuing happiness, living the way he wanted and caring less about what other people thought of him. As a result, as his posts and our occasional personal correspondence indicate, he discovered a way to live a full and happy life.

Despite his fears, the people in a small conservative West Texas town of Pecos continued to treat him with respect he so richly deserved, and to admire his character. He was similarly welcome at the conservative websites where he liked to post comments - most of all, Lucianne.com. And he certainly became a dear family member here at the People's Cube.

To say that this disproves the liberal perception of conservatives as close-minded bigots would seem too petty for this occasion. Rather, his life exemplifies the vision of freedom and individualism this country was built on. His legacy left us with many lessons. One of them is this: Think less of how others may perceive you. Be good, open, and honest. Don't be a follower. Do what you know is best and do it well; then others will follow you.

It's a way to have a good life. David had a good life.

---------------------------------------

You can read an official obituary here and add to the many messages in the guest book as well.

He also coined the term His O'liness if I recall correctly.

David was a true friend and would help anyone with kind advice or practical assistance without 2nd thought.

I will miss him greatly.

Until next time David.

Hail Theocritus (aka David A. Stephens)!

Like many here on the Cube, I will miss you dearly!

That was an excellent eulogy Comrade Square. Simply perfect.

dammit! another good Conservative gone.

The fact that he was gay and Conservative must have driven Leftists crazy - he wouldn't allow them to pigeonhole him into the Leftist Gay Plantation.

Good on yer David and rest in peace!

Juche Couture

David and I coresponded both on and off the Cube, and all that Oleg has had to say about this gentleman (in the true sense of the term) is absolutely true. He was generous and cynical, tasteful and tacky, and tender and prickly as a West Texas cactus all at the same time. It has been my great pleasure to get to know him and a loss to the world that he has passed.

Beautiful eulogy. I remember his posts and always having a laugh. He had a quick wit and I respected him. Was an attribute for sure and contributed much to the cube.

So young!

Best wishes, Comrade. May you be resting in the ever elusive peace of the Glorious World of Next Tuesday.

Perhaps he should be honored here in our own hall of heroes in our cyber Red Square.

Sorry to hear it. I haven't contributed much here but I've been passively observing the Cube for years and always enjoyed his thoughtful wit. He will be missed. Prayers for his family - here and in Texas.

[img]/images/clipart/Prog_Off.gif[/img]
I was always struck by the remarkable knowledge of classics and culture displayed by Father Theocritus. Humor coupled with insight, a wealth of generosity, and the ability to skewer those most in need of a good impaling were all traits exhibited in his excellent posts. What revealed him to me to be a man of real character, however, was ultimately his courage. He was, above all else, a fighter, and though he indicated that he had moments where he thought himself a minor character trying to eek out a living in a tough job in the middle of nowhere, the man had true grit; that same grit of men at the battle of Maldon exhibited most when they knew they were going to lose:
Hige sceal þe heardra, heorte þe cenre,
[justify]mod sceal þe mare, þe ure mægen lytlað.[/justify][/font]
David Stephens was definitely a man I will remember as a model of courage. Inspiring, courageous, ennobling, witty, remarkable and bold. I was glad to have been in the shield wall with him.
"Then shall not need in Sturmere the steadfast soldiers
[justify]To twit me with words, now my friend is fall'n,[/justify][justify]For that I returned home without my lord,[/justify][/color][justify]Turned from the battle, but the sword shall take me,[/justify][/color][justify]The point and the steel."[/justify][/color][/font]

Came home from work, checked my email, and this post from our Dear Leader is what I found... I'm still stunned. The bottle is calling.

It was a friend that turned me on to TPC, and David that was a large part of making me want to stay. He was simply a genius and so full of wit. Working night shift, I'd find myself literally laughing out loud in a silent room after reading his posts. Later, I began corresponding with him outside the kollective, and gained even more insight into the great human being that he was. I don't know if it's possible to describe just exactly what David brought to the world, but Oleg came about as close as one can.

Those whom I email with know I take forever to respond. There's an email from David still waiting to be answered from back in June. And I was having so much fun procrastinating- wishing I'd have procrastinated a bit less. Just as an example of his wit, he mentioned in that email that while he didn't pirouette out of the closet, he did slam the door. He sounded very happy, optimistic, and was planning some travel. I sure hope he got a trip in between then and now.

Who is going to take care of Bruno?

Damnit. I miss you, Comrade :(

My post on Blurbrain:

The Counter-Revolutionary movement has lost one of it's most gifted satirists. I remember a couple months after I first joined The People's Cube I posted that David had gone missing due to a shopping spree to find a little yellow dress for some guy named Bruno. David took it from there and developed this imaginary “Bruno” into a character that was an amalgamation of several men he had previously had relationships with. An imaginary dim-witted foil he and the rest of us could make fun of. The pinnacle of which was “F. Lee Bruno”. Everyone knew that David was gay because he didn't hide it. He used “Bruno” in a very clever way to make his sexual orientation a part of his satire.

https://thepeoplescube.com/peoples-blog ... t1217.html

Some people can influence your life even though you've never met. Father Prog was certainly one of those people. His postings in the Cube Classics were instrumental in my decision to become a member. I will miss him.

Zampolit Blokhayev wrote:My post on Blurbrain:

The Counter-Revolutionary movement has lost one of it's most gifted satirists. I remember a couple months after I first joined The People's Cube I posted that David had gone missing due to a shopping spree to find a little yellow dress for some guy named Bruno. David took it from there and developed this imaginary “Bruno” into a character that was an amalgamation of several men he had previously had relationships with. An imaginary dim-witted foil he and the rest of us could make fun of. The pinnacle of which was “F. Lee Bruno”. Everyone knew that David was gay because he didn't hide it. He used “Bruno” in a very clever way to make his sexual orientation a part of his satire.

https://thepeoplescube.com/peoples-blog ... t1217.html
Thanks for that, Comrade Z, it was good to laugh over Father Theo's post even now. Oddly, I always thought Bruno was a real dude. What a lark!

Red Square,

Thank you for writing and capturing so eloquently in words what David had really meant to all of us here on The Cube. A fine tribute to a good and noble man who had shared his life with all of us and brought us joy, laughter and true wisdom in the process........he will be truly missed.

Prog Off:
Wow, what an amazing person behind the iron curtain. I had no idea. Wish I would have gotten to meet him in person. I made sure to sign the guest book giving my condolences (stupidly mistyped my screen name, but at least not the message).

A lovely eulogy Oleg. I'm at peace knowing that Father Theo now sits at the left hand of Lenin. As a tribute to Theo, I will double my efforts opposing voter Id laws, for I know our dearly departed comrade will want to continue voting for Democrats.

Rest in peace, dear komrade. May we meet someday in that great kollective in das sky.

Superkommissar Maksim wrote:A lovely eulogy Oleg. I'm at peace knowing that Father Theo now sits at the left hand of Lenin. As a tribute to Theo, I will double my efforts opposing voter Id laws, for I know our dearly departed comrade will want to continue voting for Democrats.

During 2014 mid-terms, I hope you will join me and vote an extra 5 times in his honor.

Our Comrade will be sorely missed. Excellent eulogy™ Comrade Square. I would recommend slipping portions into Glorious Leaders™ teleprompter so the masses have something to mourn beside the future of poverty and disaster Glorious Leader™ has in store for them.

I am so sorry to hear this. he was always a joy to read. I miss his posting already

So heartbroken over this news. David was one of
the wittiest people I've ever come across.

Rest in peace, Darling...you will be missed.

He had a heart bigger than his native Texas, and almost as big as Obama's government.

He was one of the first people to make me feel welcome at the Cube. Also the first to steal from me when I was unconscious from too much Putinka vodka.

I once called him a walking Word-A-Day calendar. Rarely did he make a post that didn't send me to the dictionary to look up his latest $10,000 word. Who can forget “rannygazoo”? Or “adumbrate”?

We never met face-to-face; we never spoke on the phone. We exchanged e-mails off-Cube wherein we shared our joys and sorrows and observations about life. He lent a sympathetic ear while never hesitating to dole out tough love. When he found long-sought happiness this past year, I was full of joy for him, for no one deserved it more than he. For someone I only knew online, his passing left me shocked and devastated. So often while visiting the Cube, I've laughed so hard I cried. Now, as I write this, I'm crying but I'm not laughing.

Red Square, you've written from the heart a wonderfully glorious tribute, and for that I must bestow upon you Pinkie's prestigious Beet of the Week Award, along with the bumpersticker for your mother.

No, I haven't forgotten that Beet of the Week has been canceled due to sequestration. But Superkommissar Maksim has so damned many BOTW awards that he'll never miss one, nor will his mother miss one of her bumperstickers, so I'll just steal from them and redistribute to you.

Theocritus would've wanted it that way.

Image Image Image

Oleg, THANK YOU for posting this. Father Prog Theocritus was a sweet, funny, articulate - and obviously very bright - man, and he will be greatly missed, I'm sure even more to those in his Real Life.

Father Prog, RIP - we were blessed by your presence here on The Cube. Thank you.

I wish there was a stronger word for "man", but perhaps he would only want to be called "man".

Words are failing me right now because of so many reasons, one of them being how sudden this is. David changed my life, all of it for the better. Unlike so many people in my life, he treated me not like a child or a joke, he treated me like an adult. He showed me what it is like to be a better man, not a beast. The best part about it was, he always had great examples to go with it, I believed him because he actually went through the same hell.

If there is one thing I must make a special note about and thank him for, it's during a really dark time in my life. I have to tip-toe around this a bit for various reasons, but for Cube members who know what I'll be talking about, you probably already know. A few years ago in college, I went through a really difficult time, a time I won't bring up here nor do I like to be reminded of those days. Amongst all the chaos and ugliness that happened, I spilled my guts to everyone about vulnerable and insecure I felt with being me. He than said something I will share here, he said "Elliott, forgive yourself for being you." I understood what he said right there, but applying it was hard. Now that I have gotten older, I finally feel like I have accepted myself and feel stronger for doing that. I can't thank that man enough for saying that. I not only needed to hear that than, I needed to hear that period.

David, if you are reading this, you did make a difference. You made a difference in this young fool's life. You said it was okay to be me and as I get older, the light gets brighter.

David, with all my heart, thank you.

Perhaps, If someone remembers anything about David / Theocritus and his life that wasn't mentioned in my post, it would be good to post it on this thread.

It's been a long time since I've signed in. I saw this article in my email's inbox and had to come back.

He was a really great guy. Always willing to talk, always willing to offer advice. He always seemed interested in helping everyone, and was always polite.

I'll always remember the hilariously raunchy posts he would make.

I'm really sad that he's gone. I know he didn't believe in a god or a heaven, but I hope that wherever he is the afterlife treats him well.

Unlike you meager proles, Dear Father Prog and I met face to face in 2011, it was high noon on the Texas plain of Pecos.

He was carrying impaling stakes (of course)... I with old my rusty nine iron, looked off into the green......the rest is history.

Carpe' Diem David!

You always did.. just like Commissar Elliot said.

(excuse me while I silently retrieve/procure my thesaurus, dictionary, and Learning Latin books from the Rancho...)

[img]/images/clipart/Prog_Off.gif[/img]

P.S. In tribute, take the time to consider the glorious children's tales of Pecos Bill, mythology is not so small, and our dreams not so meager that they must die on the heap of supposed fantasy...
an ideological Spartan lived among us.

I'd been wondering what had happened to him, it's been a long time since he posted. Being quite terrible at anything like small talk and not very affable I never replied much when he tried to strike up a friendship. My loss.

I'll never forget when Sister Massively Opiated needed a new computer and he said, I've got more money than I know what to do with; and like Christmas she woke up to a brand new computer. He enjoyed sharing. He had a lot to share.

I feel like I've been sucker punched. The air's been knocked out of me.

RIP, David. And as one atheist to another, godspeed.

He was an extremely fair-minded individual. Very thoughtful. I would have to say that his outlook on things and his very solid reasoning behind them was a contributing factor to winning me over to the Libertarian perspective.

Also, whereas a good many gays tend to be over-the-board bitter about Christianity, and a good many atheists extremely combative against that faith, Theo's succinct assessment about God--one given by both a gay and an atheist--stands out to me in my mind...that, overall, the Christian God "is a good one."

His wit will be sorely missed here.

I feel a great disturbance in the force.

The great irony is that few will see him for the great liberal (classic definition - not the derogatory epithet so carelessly thrown around by the screaming heads) that he represented so coyly in his tongue-in-cheek contributions to this forum.

A loss, but his contributions live on in our memories. May they remain to educate others and entertain, as they always did.

May the soul of Father Prog, and all the souls of the departed faithful, through the mercy of God, rest in peace.

"prog off"

As with many of you, Father Prog Theo reached out to me as a lowly new comer prole and while I'm still a lowly adolescent prole I will be forever grateful for having to pull out the Peoples Dictionary™ on damn near every one of his posts. His amazing wit & unanimous caring for the children of the Cube will be sorely missed. All of us have a shovel with our name on it & Father Prog's came way too soon. RIP.

Comrades - "Keep Impaling'em for the Common Good."

impale one for father prog.gif

Well done, Red Square, thanks.

As Theo taught us : "Reality is what comes out of my ass". This loss is a dose of reality in every meaning.

The flags of Texazistan are lowered.

Very sad news, indeed. Theo had the sharpest wit and tongue of any Cubist; he could be kind or dish out a verbal beat-down as well as anyone.

This really saddens me, especially since I've been AWOL for some time. The last couple years I have been posting mainly at Breitbart and Daily Caller as UnCL3 (my disqus handle). The Revolution is here, yes? The Progressive World of Next Tuesday...so many outrages one right after the other...I've found it difficult to stay optimistic about the country's future.

Rest in peace, Theo. You made the world a better place, and you were a True American.

SHARP SALUTE!!

Premier Betty wrote:It's been a long time since I've signed in. I saw this article in my email's inbox and had to come back.

He was a really great guy. Always willing to talk, always willing to offer advice. He always seemed interested in helping everyone, and was always polite.

I'll always remember the hilariously raunchy posts he would make.

I'm really sad that he's gone. I know he didn't believe in a god or a heaven, but I hope that wherever he is the afterlife treats him well.

Hi, Betty!

jpeg.jpg

I, Beloved Potentate and Tyrant of the Glorious Peoples Utopia of Zimbabwe, hereby decree and International Day of Mourning for Prog Father Theocritus, Deliverer of Mid Winter Freebies.

Hamba Gahle, my friend.

Obamugabe

oh my, soooo sorry to hear..... he was always a funny and wise 'character' at the Cube. I realized he hadn't posted in a while, but had no idea. Rest in peace, dear soul and comfort for your family and friends.

As miserable lurker in workers paradise, I am saddened by the loss of Father Prog Theocritus. Please accept sympathies for our collective loss.

My Our entire collective has voted to redouble our efforts in the beet fields in honor of the Good Father. (I, of course, will have to stay in my clubhouse the common room watching TV in case of news of a Syrian attack.)

Perhaps the next International Party Conference can be dedicated to the Peoples Work done by the Good Father...

And yes, a great Texan has been lost (even though he did not live here in The Glorious Peoples Heroic Revolutionary Soviet of Austin...)

Father Prog always had time to comment... even on the posts of this lowly guardian of the peoples' beet field. Imparting his wisdom (and humor) of the ages. My time spent in these frozen wastelands have been made more bearable knowing we had leaders like him toiling continuously for the Common Good.™

Image Godspeed, David Austin Stephens.
In his honour, I post my favorite video:

As a lowly lurker, I am saddened that my first post on TPC will be to say that I will miss Father Prog. He is one of the reasons I finally joined the Cube, and I will miss his wit, humor, and wisdom.

What a beautiful eulogy. As a relatively new Cubista I never really spoke with Father Prog but from reading his posts I immediately like him. Erudite and milk-out-your nose funny to the max. I'm sure he's in a better place. :)

"And I'm sure the view from Heaven beats the hell out of mine here."
- Yellowcard

Like many here, I too was ensorceled (another FPT word too erudite for my spell checker and the spelling of which I just had to verify) by Father Prog's incisive wit. I wasn't surprised to learn he was a PG Wodehouse fan; their styles bear some similarities.
Among his admirable qualities were his compassion, his generosity, his honesty, and his genuine tolerance for the views of others - a practice much vaunted but little practiced on the left. In fact, he not only tolerated differing views, but encouraged others to be honest and consistent with themselves, even if their beliefs differed sharply from his own.
As a devoted religious criminal, I prayed he would know what it was to love God. Certainly he knew what it was to love his neighbor.

God bless you my friend. I always enjoyed our banter. David gave me some of the best laughs I ever had. He was a friend and will be missed by many.

Godspeed old friend...

[highlight=#ff0000]PROG ON[/highlight]

Yes.... I will have my psychopathic Goons beat a Prole or two in honor of Theocritus, and kick a few doors in tonight..

[font=Times New Roman \]Commissar Red Star CEO Hemlock Hospitality® INC[/font]
The Kind and Lovable, Green Commissar
Director of Kicking Doors at Midnight
Keeper of the sacred Plasma Cutter
Herdsman of Rainbow Farting Unicorns
Defender of the Faith

I really enjoyed reading his posts. He had a wit about him that was second to none. With his character, he will be missed by all those who were fortunate enough to know him, both online and in person.

Image As a lurking comrade, I will say that Father Prog was a excellent man to follow from the shadows to ensure proper wording was used. He was a friend to many, and a good comrade to all against filthy RethuliKKKan menace, so with respect, I send him off like honorable comrade!

до свидания товарищ!

May the humor and wit you gave to those you knew both online and offline keep us strong in the dark times ahead.

Thanks Oleg. I personally can't think of anything you've left out.

The man was a knee slapping teller of tales, an ace at satirizing liberal themes, and over all kind and generous.

I don't believe I've cried after the death of other online friends I've lost. But I cried a lot when I heard the news about our beloved FPT.

Thanks for everything David! How missed you shall be

Being an old sickly proletarian myself, I become concerned when we don't hear from our old friends for a while. We recognize that people might have periods of time they just don't have the creative juices or spare time to play at the People's Cube. But after a couple of months that one of our comrades are missing, I have concern.

Such concern for the missing Father Prog turns out to be true.

The most impressive thing I remember about him was that while he was admittedly gay, he wasn't a pompous ass about it. He was just an all-around funny guy and a worthy mind

Searching back through the archives, we had great conversations, such as-
https://thepeoplescube.com/post115066.html#115066

I shall miss my pal, Father Prog Theocritus

There were a few occasions on which Theocritus and I communicated privately about things related to the Cube. I was impressed by the power of his intellect. For him, as well as for friends of my own similarly situated to him, I'm glad he found satisfaction and happiness in the liberation that comes from truth.

That he was able to make the time to contribute so much to the Cube is astounding. Most of us can't quickly enough dispatch the alligators in our own business/family "swamps" to be able to contribute with the consistency and quality of work as did he.

--KOOK

Bye-bye Father Prog.
I hope you're having a good time... I enjoyed the time you spent with me.

davids-clock.jpg

By popular demand, this topic has now been moved to announcements (the top section above the list of topics in the forum) and will stay there for a while, lest it be pushed down by current events.

Webmaster

To our Glorious Leader,

Truly a position of honor you have bestowed to his memory and spirit so that he may be able to look down upon our postings past, present and to now also be able to see and read our comrades contributions in the future.

Thank you for placing it there.

Your most humble Commodore,

Snoogie Woogums

I've read a lot of obits, but I have to say that Oleg's really is the best summary of a man that I have ever read. Good job! Maybe you've found a new career! Maybe you should consider writing an obit for the United States....

Oleg, that was absolutely perfect! Thank you, because I would be stunned to find the words, as you have so beautifully.I know i am the target of those who just reject my videos as a substitute for my own commentary.
I understand this but, this is just too beautiful:

I'm glad there is you my darling Father Prog. You are, and always will be a light in my life!

He was a fit man to ride the river with, and that is perhaps the best tribute I can pay to him. The world is a slightly less brilliant place with his passing.

I write this with great sadness and heaviness of heart at the passing of the great Father Prog Theocritus.

When I was nothing more than a fledgling pbuh bear newbie at the Cube™, he mentored me and inspired me by encouraging me in the finer ways of the progressive Suck Up™. He taught me that in order to be a true prog reality really does have to come out of one's arse.

I learned what it is to be a Made Prog™, how to gently suckle the many teets of our beloved MTE™ and that the importance of the Jiffy-Lobo™ really resides in how often one gets them done.

I will greatly miss Father Prog more equally than others. He was a true inspiration to me and a great spirit. I am truly honored and humbled that our paths in life were able to cross here at the Cube, even though I never met the man in real life.

I would like to humbly submit a suggestion to the Proletariat and Politburo that a Father Prog Theocritus Memorial Library be created to preserve this great man's intellect and brillance for future proles and Made Progs™-to-be. He has left us with so much of himself here that it would be rethuglikkkan for it to fade into the sunset of forgetfulness.

Godspeed, Father Prog — from a lowly bear cub to a portly OPM's free wheeling spendthrift who loves buying souls on the cheap.

I Third Bears motion

[font=Times New Roman \]Commissar Red Star CEO Hemlock Hospitality® INC[/font]
The Kind and Lovable, Green Commissar
Defender of the Faith -

Three is the charm.

Father Prog Theocritus Memorial Library is now open to the public

All Party members are advised to attend and post your favorite quotes from and memories of Theocritus there. The first comrade to post there gets to spend one (1) night with Our Many-Titted Empress at Rancho del Rio Grande.

Shovel 4 U wrote:All of us have a shovel with our name on it & Father Prog's came way too soon. RIP.
S4U, I find your quote both sobering and inspiring. It's true, we all have a shovel with our name on it. It's often unseen and can come unexpectedly. That's the sobering part.
But what's the inspiring part? There is One who beat the shovel. As a devoted religious criminal, I can't think of death apart from Jesus who at the cross took the blame for all I did wrong and gave me credit for all He did right and made me acceptable before God. It was He who laid down his life at the moment of His choosing and took it up again at the moment of His choosing. In Christ, we share in His victory over sin and death and thus look forward to a time of perfect fellowship with our Creator and the redeemed from all nations. Far from the bland, gray sameness of secular utopias, what we have to look forward to is described as, "But as it is written, eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him." I don't know when my shovel will come, but because of the goodness and mercy of God I can join Paul in mocking death when he says, "O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory?"
Or, as Patrick put it in his confession over 1,500 years ago, "…even though I should be denied a grave, or my body be woefully torn to pieces limb by limb by hounds or wild beasts, or the fowls of the air devour it. I am firmly convinced that if this should happen to me, I would have gained my soul together with my body, because on that day without doubt we shall rise in the brightness of the sun, that is, in the glory of Christ Jesus our Redeemer, as sons of the living God and joint heirs with Christ, to be made conformable to His image; for of Him, and by Him, and in Him we shall reign."
I'd better stop here. Thanks for the inspiration.

I'm sorry to hear this, he was one of my favorites here at the cube and he will be sorely missed.

Comrades, you cannot know how many tears I have shed over this loss. Thank you Red Square for the remarkable tribute you have done, I am glad I didn't cause you to rush. It is comrades like Father Prog that is further evidence of that old saying “You meet the nicest Comrades at the People's Cube.”

I felt closer to Commissar Theocritus than anyone, and looked at him as my most worthy competition, friend, and mentor. I came to the collective not too long after he arrived, and like so many here, he helped with my rehabilitation. I also engaged in ThoughtCrime as I was secretly, or perhaps not so secretly, in a friendly competition with the good Commissar. He preceded my entry into the collective by just a short time, preceded me shortly in being elevated to Commissar. In fact, as I recall, Commissar Theocritus was the prosecutor at my show trial that led to my promption to Commissar. And though I had once achieved being #1 in posts, when I went AWOL recently, who do I find has dethroned me? The beloved Theocritus had dropped me all the way down to #3! Is there any wonder why Father Prog was always falsely accusing me of sending my talent shitting pigeons to deface his Ranchero? (He got a kick out of the "talent shitting".) Not to mention claims of misdeeds of my Jimmy Carter nano rabbits. But this was necessary to keep the good Commissar out of my pocket.

But seriously comrades, as so many have commented, Dave as truly a man who made this world a better place. His love and command of words, phrases, and Latin phrases sent me to google every day it seemed. His love of music and his intelligent comments, and I can testify to his incredible generosity as he also helped me pretty much out of the blue because I was going through a bit rough time, but as someone said, he said he had more money than he knew what to do with....but he did...he helped so many.

Dave is the second dearest online friend I have lost this year. I really can't take it much longer. Damn it! I thought everyone understood my orders. I guess I must re-issue my standing order: No friend of mine is allowed to pass on before I do! I simply cannot deal with the emotional loss so therefore, regardless of the oxygen being consumed by my friends, and the polluting CO2 gases being emitted, I forbid any further un-authorized Final Exits by my friends, both real life and online! Yes, this makes me a greedy comrade, but that is just the way it has to be, so suck it up, and live! That means you as well Comrade!

Komissar Blogunov wrote:But what's the inspiring part? There is One who beat the shovel. As a devoted religious criminal, I can't think of death apart from Jesus who at the cross took the blame for all I did wrong and gave me credit for all He did right and made me acceptable before God.

I confess that I to am a devoted religious criminal Kommissar and appreciated what you had to say. That was another thing I loved about David, I knew he was not a Christian, but he never put the faith down, and always was respectful. In many ways, Dave lived like a Christian should, yet many fail. I don't mind saying, I loved David. OK, guess I best head to the JiffyLobo.

Red Square wrote:Three is the charm.

Father Prog Theocritus Memorial Library is now open to the public

All Party members are advised to attend and post your favorite quotes from and memories of Theocritus there. The first comrade to post there gets to spend one (1) night with Our Many-Titted Empress at Rancho del Rio Grande.

Simply Perfekt Comrade Square.

Komissar Blogunov wrote: There is One who beat the shovel.

WU11D18_NORMAL.jpg

S4U, I am somewhere between wow, tears, and speechless. Powerful image.

Like many others, I had the privilege of being influenced by the postings of "Father Prog." My hope is that I may I honor him by the postings I may make. In tha respect, please add any post you deem worthy to "father's" 10+k total.

There used to be a way to easily see all an individual's contributions, or a list thereof...can we not do that any more or am I just not remember.

Kelly Ivanovna/???? ???????? wrote:

There used to be a way to easily see all an individual's contributions, or a list thereof...can we not do that any more or am I just not remember.

I've been wanting to know this as well - although spending hours combing through the piles of TPC archives can be rewarding in and of itself.

I had earlier disabled the forum search feature because it was cumbersome, replacing it with Google search plugin. But since you want to find all Theo's posts, I enabled search again. It is now showing at the top of the page among other forum controls. It allows to find all posts by author.

Here's a link to Theo's posts, in a chronological order, from the newest down.

I will miss him. His kindness was always apparent.

Red Square wrote:I had earlier disabled the forum search feature because it was cumbersome, replacing it with Google search plugin. But since you want to find all Theo's posts, I enabled search again. It is now showing at the top of the page among other forum controls. It allows to find all posts by author.

Here's a link to Theo's posts, in a chronological order, from the newest down.

Thanks Red Square. Very helpful.

I hereby criticize myself for not studying Father Prog Theo's writings on The People's Cube. But in my self defense, I am a new member to the Collective. I shall strive to study his works in hopes to carry on his legacy. I stand on the shoulder of Giants!
RIP Father Theo!

Sir Red Star(The Naughty)
10/21/2009, 6:04 am
It's all right Kind and Fearless leader calm yourself:

We are on the case attempting to locate these horrible thugs. Rooster get over and "Peck" over the SUV, Leninka run the plates get us a name. (Don't use Ohio, you'll get caught).

I suspect Pupovich paid these reprobates, I know we have no evidence, but I am a made Progressive, I do not need evidence.

I am sending my Goons Highly trained Troopers to beat everyone who drives an SUV just to be safe.

Commissar Red Star CEO Hemlock Hospitality ä INC
Defender of the Faith

Edit Quote Delete post InfoReport

Marshal Pupovich
10/21/2009, 7:06 am
Dear Lenin in Paradise! Commissar, I am shocked to hear of this shameless attack on your person by these...these... filthy Realists! Of course the first thing that came to my mind was that this was sponsored by Rethuglicans. But then I considered their weak choice of choosing McCain in the last election not to mention such other Rethuglican names such as Olympia Snow etc. that proved they are not as committed to reality as some claim. No Commissar, I believe you may have been attacked by the most vicious and dangerous group of all....by a Conservative! There is no more dangerous animal to a true progressive such as you and I, than a Conservative! Sure, some can be found under the name of a rethuglican, but they also come under the name of "Constitutionalists" and even blatantly admit they are "Conservative."

Thank Lenin you survived!

Edit Quote Delete post InfoReport

Father Prog Theocritus
10/21/2009, 8:58 am
Yes, I did survive but the sessions at Jiffi-Lobo have left me incontinent. I live in trembling fear of a logic attack. I phoned dear Jodin Morey and told him of it and he started yapping so loudly that I feared for his sanity. Well, I gave up on his sanity a long time ago. I feared for his heart. Well, he doesn't have a heart, but I feared for, er, something and I get points for fearing for something.

I could hear him pissing himself on the telephone.
- See more at: https://thepeoplescube.com/peoples-blog ... 4TLmF.dpuf

The Lurking Comrade wrote:Image As a lurking comrade, I will say that Father Prog was a excellent man to follow from the shadows to ensure proper wording was used. He was a friend to many, and a good comrade to all against filthy RethuliKKKan menace, so with respect, I send him off like honorable comrade!

до свидания товарищ!

May the humor and wit you gave to those you knew both online and offline keep us strong in the dark times ahead.
Amen, dear friend.

Godspeed, Father Prog Theocritus.

The beauty of The Cube is the fact that ordinary people can reach many with their wit, irony, and intelligence. It is inspirational. Father Prog touched lives for people he never met, made people smile and laugh although he would not see it.

Perhaps an annual Theocritus award could be given in his honor.

Dear Theocritus,
Now that you're on the other side it is likely you're in the only place where everyone is finally and infinitely equal, where the not-to-be-equalized Equalizer is not some greedy self-serving Marxist bastard. We've got a lot of work to do down here to restore our God-given equal rights and equality before law, but as they say in Texas, we'll get 'er done, and I'll light off a rocket in your honor on the first 4th of July after we restore the American Revolution. We'll be missing your unequaled, blistering, sarcastic humor. Now, live forever, and save us some seats.

PROG OFF
Father Prog Theocritus, The People's Lark Ascending

To extrapolate upon Comrade Red Square's beautiful tribute to our beloved Father Prog Theocritus,

"who joined the People's Cube in December of 2006 as a mere lowly prole, with a signature "A successful paranoid never knows if he had to be." In recognition of his talents, he quickly joined the Party Elite in the rank of Commissar of Compassionate Impaling. Six and a half years and more than ten thousand posts later, he was known around the kollektive as Father Prog Theocritus, Director of Unanimous Caring, Conspicuous Compassion, and Communal Impaling for the Common Good." - See more at: https://thepeoplescube.com/peoples-blog ... fXtGy.dpuf

I wish to post this:

It's a long poem, but fits Theo perfectly, at least it does to me. Every line!

The lovely music, by Ralph Vaughn Williams, based upon this poem, is similarly long. I encourage you to play it while you read the poem. The music and the poem, most likely, will come together at the end. I hope you will be as moved as I was.

The Lark Ascending
by George Meredith

He rises and begins to round,
He drops the silver chain of sound
Of many links without a break,
In chirrup, whistle, slur and shake,
All intervolv'd and spreading wide,
Like water-dimples down a tide
Where ripple ripple overcurls
And eddy into eddy whirls;
A press of hurried notes that run
So fleet they scarce are more than one,