Female Lab Mice to Break Glass Ceiling

[img]/images/Mice_Protest_Gender_Apartheid.jpg[/img]

According to NPR, the most reliable and respected name in unbiased reporting, female lab mice are finally going to achieve gender parity in medical experimentation.

A Fix For Gender-Bias In Animal Research Could Help Humans

There's been a male tilt to biomedical research for a long time.

The National Institutes of Health is trying to change that and is looking to bring gender balance all the way down to the earliest stages of research. As a condition of NIH funding, researchers will now have to include female and male animals in their biomedical studies.

When the policy was first announced, people were pumped about it, says Sarah Richardson, a professor at Harvard who studies the history and philosophy of science. "People were like 'Absolutely, that's terrible. Why aren't they studying female mice?' That was my response, too," she says. "It was seen as just a straightforward obvious corrective that we have to do."

Well, when a Harvard professor -- and not only a Harvard professor but a female professor -- and a professor of the history and philosophy of science (and who would know more about animal-based lab testing?) -- says more female mice should be used in lab testing, obviously something is very wrong in gender equity!

I saw a headline to this story earlier, and didn't click through.

Somehow, I had thought the article was about transgendered mice.

Oh, well, I'm sure the scientists will include them next.

Will they continue to receive only 73% of reward food pellets as compared to their male counterparts?

What a sweet and heartwarming Valentine Day story from our colleagues down at NPR!

It's time the scientists stopped testing female cosmetics on male lab mice persons. It destroys their dignity and traumatizes them for life, making them unable to mate except with each other.

Look at them!

Lab_Mice.jpg

... so says Herpes Mouse, so say we all!
HerpesMouse.jpg

Red Square wrote:What a sweet and heartwarming Valentine Day story from our colleagues down at NPR!

It's time the scientists stopped testing female cosmetics on male lab mice persons. It destroys their dignity and traumatizes them for life, making them unable to mate except with each other.

Look at them!

Lab_Mice.jpg

I hate animal testing, they always get bad scores. Doesn't reflect too well on our Glorious People's Republic's international education rankings.

We need more glass breakers just like this one...

And this one...

Ivan the Stakhanovets wrote:Will they continue to receive only 73% of reward food pellets as compared to their male counterparts?

Comrades - this could be more equal by including transgendered and minority mice. NIH is missing out on this important opportunity to bring awareness to these oppressed and discriminated mice.

Lev - was your girlfriend the Google Doodle today?

Supposedly you could play a theremin at a link near end of the article... but the link appeared to be broken.

Comrade Putout wrote:.

Supposedly you could play a theremin at a link near end of the article... but the link appeared to be broken.

[OFF]

I was curious and looked up Rockmore. Her playing of the theremin is nothing short of entrancing.

Comrade Putout wrote:.

Lev and Clara Rockmore traveled and gave concerts together, but were never romantically linked so far as I know. He did propose to her several times, but married elsewhere; his second wife was the black prima ballerina Lavinia Williams, which was something of a scandal in those days.