Glorious 2012 Ig Nobel Prize Winners List

[highlight=#ffffff] Here is the list of the winners with a breakdown of their glorious achievements:

PSYCHOLOGY PRIZE
Anita Eerland and Rolf Zwaan from The Netherlands and Tulio Guadalupe from Peru won for research indicating that "Leaning to the Left Makes the Eiffel Tower Seem Smaller." There was a mock-up of the Eiffel Tower at the ceremony. I could not tell if the model seemed smaller when I leaned to the left as opposed to the right. (I must interject my disclaimer over this finding that correct thinking would suggest that such a finding is counterintuitive. Clearly, we all know that viewing objects from the left makes the object much larger and far more significant than when viewing it from the right.)

PEACE PRIZE
The Russian SKN Company won the Peace Prize for converting old Russian ammunition into new diamonds. I want to know these people better...

ACOUSTICS PRIZE
Kazutaka Kurihara and Koji Tsukada of Japan won for creating the SpeechJammer. This is a machine that disrupts a person's speech by making them hear their own spoken words at a very slight delay. There was an extremely cool demonstration involving a Nobel laureate and a Shakespeare reading.

NEUROSCIENCE PRIZE
U.S. scientists Craig Bennett, Abigail Baird, Michael Miller, and George Wolford won the Ig Nobel Neuroscience award for revealing brain researchers, using complicated instruments and simple statistics, can see meaningful brain activity anywhere -- even in a dead salmon. The goal was to use humor and possibly humiliation to get researchers to apply statistics in a meaningful fashion. I believe they succeeded. Sadly, salmon lost their lives to achieve this goal.

CHEMISTRY PRIZE
Johan Pettersson (Sweden and Rwanda) solved the puzzle of why your blonde hair might turn green in certain houses in the town of Anderslöv, Sweden. The solution involved taking cold showers, so I imagine many people have green hair in this community.

LITERATURE PRIZE The U.S. Government General Accountability Office won this award for reporting about reports about reports. No one appeared to accept the prize.

PHYSICS PRIZE
U.S. researchers Joseph Keller and Raymond Goldstein and Patrick Warren and Robin Ball (UK) earned the prize for calculating the balance of forces that shape and move the hair in a human ponytail. Basically, they explained why ponytails swish from side to side even though joggers bounce up and down.

FLUID DYNAMICS PRIZE
U.S. scientists Rouslan Krechetnikov and Hans Mayer won the 2012 Ig Nobel Prize for studying the dynamics of liquid-sloshing. Specifically, they described the events that occur when a person walks and carries a cup of coffee.

ANATOMY PRIZE
Frans de Waal (The Netherlands) and Jennifer Pokorny (United States) discovered chimpanzees can identify other chimps from photographs of their rears.

MEDICINE PRIZE
Emmanuel Ben-Soussan and Michel Antonietti from France earned the Ig Nobel prize in medicine educating doctors performing colonoscopies how to minimize the chance of causing explosions. Who knew you could explode during this procedure?

https://chemistry.about.com/b/2012/09/21/winner-of-the-2012-ig-nobel-prize-winners-list.htm
[/highlight]

This Ig Nobel prize collection is a beautiful thing, Comrade! Such talent we are surrounded by, internationally, yes?

Incidentally, why is it that I feel so strongly that these delightfully funny awards are actually better and of more value than the so-called "real" ones?

A gathering of future Nobel Peace Prize winners, selected according to the same criteria used to award Umbama his.

NW.jpg

Kommissar Schweinhund wrote:[highlight=#ffffff]

MEDICINE PRIZE
Emmanuel Ben-Soussan and Michel Antonietti from France earned the Ig Nobel prize in medicine educating doctors performing colonoscopies how to minimize the chance of causing explosions. Who knew you could explode during this procedure?

[/highlight]

Must remind Party-approved physicians not to light matches to see what they are doing because flatulence is flammable.

R.O.C.K. in the USSA wrote:This Ig Nobel prize collection is a beautiful thing, Comrade! Such talent we are surrounded by, internationally, yes?

Incidentally, why is it that I feel so strongly that these delightfully funny awards are actually better and of more value than the so-called "real" ones?
However, I must admit that I am still very disappointed in the Nobel prize committee's decision to award the Psychology prize to such blatantly incorrect thinkers. It may be time for the party leaders to have a talk about reeducating Nobel committee members on how to correctly award the Psychology prize.

Kommissar Schweinhund wrote:
R.O.C.K. in the USSA wrote:This Ig Nobel prize collection is a beautiful thing, Comrade! Such talent we are surrounded by, internationally, yes?

However, I must admit that I am still very disappointed in the Nobel prize committee's decision to award the Psychology prize to such blatantly incorrect thinkers. It may be time for the party leaders to have a talk about reeducating Nobel committee members on how to correctly award the Psychology prize.

Komrade Kommissar Schweinhund, regretfully I remind you that the structural steel inside the infamous Statue of Liberty was largely the work of Alexandre-Gustave Eiffel.
Does this not mean that any of his work is diminished when viewed from the Glorious Left?

Bill G wrote:
Kommissar Schweinhund wrote:

Komrade Kommissar Schweinhund, regretfully I remind you that the structural steel inside the infamous Statue of Liberty was largely the work of Alexandre-Gustave Eiffel.
Does this not mean that any of his work is diminished when viewed from the Glorious Left?
Respectfully, komrade Bill G, one might think that your proposal would present a conundrum. However, when correctly examining anything from the left, even an ancient monument such as the Statue of Liberty *spit* which is dedicated to outdated incorrect ideals, the flaws of such a monument are magnified ten fold when correctly viewed from the left. So, I must respectfully disagree with your initial premise, but it was a very good point that you brought up which begged for correct clarification.