I'm with the Internet Police ... and you're not.

China Digital Times wrote: ImageImage
Image of Internet police: JingJing and Chacha

online - Hong Yan
By Xiao Qiang :: 2006-01-22, 11:11 AM :: CDT Highlights

From Beijing Youth Daily, via Chinese E-Govenmence Net: (translated by CDT)

Starting today, when netizens visit all the main portals of Shenzhen city, Guangdong, they will see two cartoon figures "Jingjing" and "Chacha" (Jing Cha = Police). The image of Shenzhen Internet Police will officially be online. From now on, when netizens visit websites and web forums of Shenzhen, they will see these two cartoon police images floating on their screen. Our reporter learned that these are the images of Shenzhen Internet Police, presented by Internet Surveillance Division of Shenzhen Public Security Bureau, for the first time in China.

Main function is intimidation

"The main function of Jingjing and Chacha is to intimidate, not to answer questions," our reporter was told by officials in charge of The Internet Security and Surveillance Division of Shenzhen Public Security Bureau. The Internet has been always monitored by police, the significance of Jingjing and Chacha's appearence is to publicly remind all netizens to be conscious of safe and healthy use of the Internet, self-regulate their online behavior, and maintain harmonious Internet order together.

In China they even have police on the internet! I don't know about you but I always feel safer when I see the police out and about when I'm shopping so I can see why, with all the shopping going on in the internet you'd want the police around. Those Chinese think of everything. And they're so cute! So my question is does anyone know where I can buy some Internet Police dolls for my room?

Oh, and you can go to the article just by clicking the text.

Margaret, just wanted to make a point how similar the two Chinese police characters JingJing and Chacha sound to your uncle "Ka-Ching" Halliburton's name. Are you available for a drink maybe this weekend so we can discuss this wonderful cross-cultural phenomenon in more detail?

Thanks for asking but I won't be back in the states for a little. Some friends and I are on shopping safari in the Med right now. We're doing the islands - you know, Palma and Ibiza this last month and tomorrow we fly to Crete because there's this cute little section in Chania that's just so much fun for clothes. Have you ever been there? The night life isn't like the Balearics but it is Greece so it's just so fabulous and quaint in an ancient sort of way - and then we do the Italy thing in June. I heard they dug up some new ruins at Herculanium and I'd like to buy some things at their little gift shop. But no Italian wine this time! Then it's Spain for the rest of summer. Maybe in fall? No sooner than fall. ;) MMM

Interpol China is the envy of totalitariasphere!

Are Jingjing and Chacha ridding on magic flying manhole covers, or what? One wonders if they got their noses amputated for smellcrime?

Dr. W. S. Palimpsest wrote:Interpol China is the envy of totalitariasphere!

Dear Dr. Palimpsest, I'm sure it's only your fatigue at the end of a long week of incessant shaping of the young minds after Karl Marx's immortal image that caused you to forget that the "sphere" you are referring to is properly called Gulagosphere in the Party Organ's style guide.

The "manhole" covers (excuse me for repeating such sexist terminology - they should indeed be promptly renamed into "personhole" covers) are, in fact, armored thoughtcrime reflectors to protect the virgin netizens' minds inside the Chinese Gulagosphere from occasional capitalist propaganda that may still leak through the famously tight sealed, foolproof Google.

The Cube should have a floating Lenin and Comrade Hillary to remind us all that we are being watched non-stop by the benevolent eyes of the Party...

Red Square wrote:Dear Dr. Palimpsest, I'm sure it's only your fatigue at the end of a long week of incessant shaping of the young minds after Karl Marx's immortal image that caused you to forget that the "sphere" you are referring to is properly called Gulagosphere in the Party Organ's style guide.

The "manhole" covers (excuse me for repeating such sexist terminology - they should indeed be promptly renamed into "personhole" covers) are, in fact, armored thoughtcrime reflectors to protect the virgin netizens' minds inside the Chinese Gulagosphere from occasional capitalist propaganda that may still leak through the famously tight sealed, foolproof Google.

Comrade Red Square, please excuse my embarrassing regression into the lexicon of our bourgeois oppressors. You can only imagine my horror! "Manhole"? That non-word was purged decades ago. I'm afraid that my embedded Groupthink microchip is malfunctioning, causing an atavism in my speech patterns. I think it's time that I pay a visit to Dr. Fuku for a replacement. The GT-beta model is out now, and I hear it's a decided improvement over the GT-alpha, which I currently have implanted.

Thank you for your vigilance. One Party, One People, One Mind!

Dr. W. S. Palimpsest wrote:Comrade Red Square, please excuse my embarrassing regression into the lexicon of our bourgeois oppressors. You can only imagine my horror! "Manhole"? That non-word was purged decades ago. I'm afraid that my embedded Groupthink microchip is malfunctioning, causing an atavism in my speech patterns. I think it's time that I pay a visit to Dr. Fuku for a replacement. The GT-beta model is out now, and I hear it's a decided improvement over the GT-alpha, which I currently have implanted.

Thank you for your vigilance. One Party, One People, One Mind!

Doctor, you are so silly. :) But really, those things they're standing on are just for the newspaper article - this is what Jingjing and Chacha actually look like on Chinese screens:

I love them. They are so cute they ought to make Internet Police stickers. Yeah! Who thinks of things like Internet Police? Way smart. I bet they went to Harvard or something.

Image Image

If you removed the coloration in the picture, their genders would be indistinguishable.

A Fellow Traveller.
Chairman Meow-Say-Pun wrote:The Cube should have a floating Lenin and Comrade Hillary to remind us all that we are being watched non-stop by the benevolent eyes of the Party...

How about a floating Laika?

A Fellow Traveller. wrote:
Chairman Meow-Say-Pun wrote:The Cube should have a floating Lenin and Comrade Hillary to remind us all that we are being watched non-stop by the benevolent eyes of the Party...

Loyal watchdog of the Gulagosphere. Good idea Fellow Traveller.

Comrade Otis wrote:

Yes. Orbital Laika!

Clem Chugunkin wrote:
Comrade Otis wrote:

Yes. Orbital Laika!

I feel safer already.

Yes, a floating Laika is a much more revolutionary idea! How could I be so blind to a delightfully progressive idea?!

Comrades!
Be patient....my Sputnik 2 is in spacedock for a tuneup and oil change. I'm getting the tires rotated and new windshield wipers too. Inspection is due at the end of May and I'm worried about my progressive emissions sticker...it might not pass. Maybe the state will give me a new muffler?

Laika

Gosudarstvennoy Bezopasno
But security here is so tight no one even knows who's in charge of Gulagosphere security.

Comrades, don't abuse the quote in quote in quote feature. Violators will have their rationing cards revoked. No free out of gulag card. Only quotes by Marx, Engels, Lenin, Stalin, Gramsci, Mao, and Chomsky (praise be unto them) can be used in that manner without impunity.

INTERNET POLICE

I came across a Chinese site today that featured the above picture of Internet police at the bottom. I clicked on it and was forwarded to this site - https://202.105.137.190/netalarm/index.jsp

Apparently this is the Internet Police motherpage where you can report suspicious or non-orthodox pages containing thoughtcrimes (a referring link apparently gets registered once you click on the image from the original page).

In an interesting development, when I tried going to this topic to post my observations, this page wouldn't open. I spent a lot of time trying to get inside, and wound up opening the database on the server and examining every post on this thread for possible irregularities. The problem was with Margaret's post where she linked to the images directly from the Chinese site. I removed that link and replaced it with one to the same images on the Cube server. Voila! The page is working again.

It appears that linking to the internet police images from an unauthorized location will mess up your site. I'm not sure what exactly is at work here but it's an established fact now.

Bravo, comrades Internet Policemen! You are TOTALLY incorruptible!

I love them. They are so cute they ought to make Internet Police stickers. Yeah! Who thinks of things like Internet Police? Way smart. I bet they went to Harvard or something.

Image Image

No need to apologize, Marge! This has given us an opportunity to have a glimpse from the rear into the working of the PRC's Internet Police. Apparently, this is how Thought Police also works. If you plant seeds of thoughtcrimes in your head, your mind will go blank - and it will stay blank until a specialized people's psychiatrist like Red Square detects and removes the incorrect thought, so you can go on working for the common good like everybody else instead of consuming people's beets and potatoes without giving anything back to the toiling collective.