Legos: The Building Blocks of Capitalist Dogma

Lego.jpg

Party members... I bring troubling news about a seemingly innocent toy that has been in Amerikka's homes for generations.

Progressive teachers explain why they banned Lego blocks in their classroom.

Occasionally, Legotown leaders explicitly rebuffed children, telling them that they couldn't play. Typically the exclusion was more subtle, growing from a climate in which Legotown was seen as the turf of particular kids. The other children didn't complain much about this; when asked about Legos, they'd often comment vaguely that they just weren't interested in playing with Legos anymore.

As they closed doors to other children, the Legotown builders turned their attention to complex negotiations among themselves about what sorts of structures to build, whether these ought to be primarily privately owned or collectively used, and how "cool pieces" would be distributed and protected.

These negotiations gave rise to heated conflict and to insightful conversation. Into their coffee shops and houses, the children were building their assumptions about ownership and the social power it conveys — assumptions that mirrored those of a class-based, capitalist society — a society that we teachers believe to be unjust and oppressive. As we watched the children build, we became increasingly concerned.

We met as a teaching staff later that day. We saw the decimation of Lego-town as an opportunity to launch a critical evaluation of Legotown and the inequities of private ownership and hierarchical authority on which it was founded. Our intention was to promote a contrasting set of values: collectivity, collaboration, resource-sharing, and full democratic participation.

Adam Smith would be proud of these young capitalists' embrace of Division of Labor...

A few days after we'd removed the Legos, we turned our attention to the meaning of power. During the boom days of Legotown, we'd suggested to the key Lego players that there was an unequal distribution of power giving rise to conflict and tension. Our suggestions were met with deep resistance.

Children denied any explicit or unfair power, making comments like "Some-body's got to be in charge or there would be chaos," and "The little kids ask me because I'm good at Legos." They viewed their power as passive leadership, benignly granted, arising from mastery and long experience with Legos, as well as from their social status in the group.

It appears that Legos are even being used to advance radical Christianity...

Lego_Last_Supper.jpg

This story disturbs me on so many different levels that I feel compelled to champion the equal rights of the Lego people.

Questions to consider:

Are they unionized?

Do they have access to free healthcare?

Do they have sub-victim groups that must be sheltered by the state?

Are they registered Democrats ready to participate in the 2008 Presidential Election?

So many questions need answering in order to find a good starting place to bring social justice to these poor put-upon people.

Chairman M. S. Punchenko wrote:This story disturbs me on so many different levels that I feel compelled to champion the equal rights of the Lego people.

Questions to consider:

Are they unionized?

Do they have access to free healthcare?

Do they have sub-victim groups that must be sheltered by the state?

Are they registered Democrats ready to participate in the 2008 Presidential Election?

So many questions need answering in order to find a good starting place to bring social justice to these poor put-upon people.

Right on, Chairman! And those damn li'l Lego grails in that provocative "Last Supper" scene better be full of Chateau Babeuf wine.

Chateau Babeauf. Where we lovingly craft the juice from Bacchus' most fecund vines into a form of progressive mind control.

More evidence of the Lego people being fooled into Radical Christianity! Next they will be exploited and told that Global Warming is all a farce!

Image Sheep! You're all being used for $$$!! VOTE DEMOCRAT!

Oh sweet merciful Stalin! Look, they have erected a Lego cross! <gasp!>

Looks like I will be making a visit to the local Toys-R-Us in efforts of liberating these people from the shackles of reich-wing slavery! Lego Liberation, NOW!

May Gore help us all! It's a kapitialist-lego empire! Quickly childern! Throw your legos into the air! They will burn up in the heat of global warming! Oh look at the poor masses being brain washed!

One Toy-R-Us is not enough Chairman. We must sue! Sue! Liberate all the lego people and hold the Legos company, Toys-R-Us, and all other kapitalist promoting toy stores that sell these items to their proper punishment!

We need a picture of a frowning lego boy, with his little hat turned slightly to the side, behind the lego bars. And of course, a couple of lego dobermans guarding the fence, and just at the edge of the picture you can see a lego sign. "Arbeit Macht Frei" Maybe in the background, having the foreground slightly burred, you can see a sign in the distance. "In Legoland, all Legos are created equal, but some Legos are more equal than others."

The Soviet Union NEVER had lego's, and if anyone did have them, they would be off to re-education. Plus, Legos are made from resources needed by the state to maintain general functions. Way to go teachers!! You get a Hero of the Soviet Union medal for your actions in keeping kids away from Legos

I once made a remote controlled arm on catepillar tracks out of robotic leggos. It was programmed to fill out absentee ballots and vote democrat whenever someone is not looking.

I still believe that Legoland can be liberated and coerced to work for the Common Good. We have gone through list of many suitable candidates to serve in our subversive activites there and I have full faith in the Legoese people. With that said, I'm happy to report that ground has been broken on the construction of a magnificient People's House for the Legoese that will be paid for with tax-payer dollars (dollars originally appropriated for Iraq that is).

Boycott Legos... the Don Imus of children's toys!!!