Reuters debunks the People's Cube spoof by Chedoh on Whitmer

Congratulations to Comrade Chedoh - today his story about Gov. Whitmer was debunked by Reuters.

I especially like that they listed his full credentials - “Chedoh, Kommissar of Viral Infections, Hero of Change, Prophet of the Future Truth”.

If one skims through the Reuters article quickly, one may get the impression that Chedoh's spoof in the People's Cube sparked protests in Michigan and mobilized local militia with assault rifles, who came to the Governor's office to demand her resignation, and on top of it all, Trump himself eventually Tweeted, "LIBERATE MICHIGAN!" - all because of the People's Cube story.

SCRN_Reuters.jpg

Here it is in full, in case the article is edited or removed.

False claim: Michigan Governor Gretchen Whitmer authorizes "lethal force" to maintain state lockdown

Social media users are circulating an article with a headline that reads, "Whitmer authorizes lethal force to maintain state lockdown" ( here ). It refers to Michigan's Governor Gretchen Whitmer (D).

The claim comes amid a series of demonstrations against coronavirus-related lockdowns across key electoral battleground states like Michigan ( here ).

The article has been flagged multiple times as part of Facebook's efforts to curb misinformation related to the new coronavirus.

The claim is false. It stems from a satirical article on the website The People's Cube. The article lists the author as "Chedoh, Kommissar of Viral Infections, Hero of Change, Prophet of the Future Truth". Despite these red flags, some social media users believe the story is authentic, making comments like "You need to vote her out!" and "The Power all Democrats want".

On March 24, Whitmer passed an executive order suspending non-essential activities across the state ( here ). On April 13, Whitmer issued another executive order to extend the lockdown measures until April 30 ( here ). Neither of the orders specified enforcement conditions aside from mentioning that, "Consistent with MCL 10.33 and MCL 30.405(3), a willful violation of this order is a misdemeanor". Michigan is one of 42 states where governors have ordered residents to remain indoors except for necessary outings like grocery shopping or doctor's visits, while closing schools, universities and non-essential businesses.

The move sparked protests in the state. On April 15, thousands of demonstrators in cars with horns honking thronged around Michigan's state Capitol, some chanting "lock her up," to protest against stay-at-home orders ( here ). The crowd included militia members and individuals carrying assault-style rifles and other guns, a reflection of Michigan's "open-carry" firearms laws.

On April 17, President Donald Trump took to Twitter to express his support for the anti-lockdown demonstrations, writing "Liberate Michigan!" in capital letters ( here ).

A Reuters review of the organizers of last week's Michigan rally against Whitmer's stay-at-home order showed they are involved in the Republican president's re-election effort ( here ).

Michigan is one of the states hit hardest by the COVID-19 pandemic, with more than 33,000 cases confirmed as of April 24 ( here ).

VERDICT

False: Michigan Governor Whitmer has not authorized "lethal force" to maintain lockdown measures meant to prevent the spread of the new coronavirus. This claim comes from a satirical article.

This article was produced by the Reuters Fact Check team. Read more about our fact checking work here .

Thank goodness. Reuters is hot on it. Now that's cleared up we can all rest easy.

And all that happened because of a People's Cube Story?

It's like political Beatlemania II.

forelock tugging in joyfulness,
'pelipsky

They figured out that “Chedoh, Kommissar of Viral Infections, Hero of Change, Prophet of the Future Truth” was writing satire?

I guess their investigative staff is improving.

Ellsworth Toohey wrote:They figured out that “Chedoh, Kommissar of Viral Infections, Hero of Change, Prophet of the Future Truth” was writing satire?

I guess their investigative staff is improving.

Not so fast on the praise, ET. All praise goes to Chedoh and The People's Cube.

Besides, Rooters® Investigative Journalist Staff totally missed the Hollywood Press Release about a Hollywood Reboot of the blockbuster Tom Cruise Movie, Valkyrie; Valkyrie II: The Plot to Straitjacket Gretchen Half-wit

So, Rooter®'s can pull it together to debunk satire, but still miss what's really going on according to Hollywood?

What's up with that? the mythical horned rodent wants to know...

'pelipsky

I suppose we can just add Reuters to the long list of ENEMIES of the PEOPLE ™ for their part in sabotaging my truthful reporting. I hope they enjoy their place among the ranks of (but not limited to) The Washington Post, CNN, Snopes, Politico, and last but not least that fiend Fareed Zakaria!

All of whom at one time or another have viscously attacked my integrity as a reporter of the people, it saddens my progressive heart that such lies and venom may be unapologetically used against me.

For what it's worth when the Reuters staff is freezing in their party provided housing in Siberia, I'll put a good word in with the guards because they used my full credentials in their article of lies. They might even get an extra piece of stale bread every third Tuesday of the month.

Now if you would excuse me, I need to drown my sorrows partake in progressive evaluation of these outrageous claims with Comrade Ivan in tractor barn #2 but while observing social distance of course.

Chedoh wrote:I suppose we can just add Reuters to the long list of ENEMIES of the PEOPLE ™ for their part in sabotaging my truthful reporting. I hope they enjoy their place among the ranks of (but not limited to) The Washington Post, CNN, Snopes, Politico, and last but not least that fiend Fareed Zakaria!

All of whom at one time or another have viscously attacked my integrity as a reporter of the people, it saddens my progressive heart that such lies and venom may be unapologetically used against me.

For what it's worth when the Reuters staff is freezing in their party provided housing in Siberia, I'll put a good word in with the guards because they used my full credentials in their article of lies. They might even get an extra piece of stale bread every third Tuesday of the month.

Now if you would excuse me, I need to drown my sorrows partake in progressive evaluation of these outrageous claims with Comrade Ivan in tractor barn #2 but while observing social distance of course.
No necktie party? Comrade Chedoh, you are truly the epitome of the People's compassion.

I have read "The Cube" for years to stay current.
Glad to see my President does as well.
the above IS NOT SATIRE NOR FACETIOUS!

This is:
ABC, CBS, CNN, NBC AND T. REUTERS HAVE ALWAYS DONE A GOOD JOB OF PRESENTING ALL ( as in not hiding items disproving the collective "news") INFORMATION SO READERS/VIEWERS CAN MAKE "WELL INFORMED" DECISIONS.
COMRAD JARHEAD IS not SARCASTIC!

Ol ex Jarhead wrote:I have read "The Cube" for years to stay current.

This is:
ABC, CBS, CNN, NBC AND T. REUTERS HAVE ALWAYS DONE A GOOD JOB OF PRESENTING ALL ( as in not hiding items disproving the collective "news") INFORMATION SO READERS/VIEWERS CAN MAKE "WELL INFORMED" DECISIONS.
Please Comrade, Don't feel restricted by the secret police scanning the interwebs for your comments. The people's cube is very safe. Please tell us which of your neighbors you wish to report. The proper authorities will be notified immediately.

Comrad elsworh
the old couple 2 houses south went out today. No FreetoBandito gear! and they were arm in arm! If ever Siberia need workers its them!

ARM IN ARM!

Ellsworth Toohey wrote:
Ol ex Jarhead wrote:I have read "The Cube" for years to stay current.

This is:
Please Comrade, Don't feel restricted by the secret police scanning the interwebs for your comments. The people's cube is very safe. Please tell us which of your neighbors you wish to report. The proper authorities will be notified immediately.

You forgot about the "ONSTAR" button at the top of your screen. Just press it and a Stasi representative will be with you shortly.

One question: has anyone ever seen Gov. Whitmer and Diana, the Lizard Queen from Space that came to Earth in the 1980s to steal our water and devour us all --

in the same room?

Me neither.

DianaWhitmer.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-04-26 at 10.52.34 AM.png

Apparently the reporter literally being a Cheeto wearing a "Che" beret and sunglasses wasn't enough of a "red flag" within itself. Reuters had to set the record straight on this.

Congratulations, Kommisar Chedoh.

Mikhail Lysenkomann wrote:One question: has anyone ever seen Gov. Whitmer and Diana, the Lizard Queen from Space that came to Earth in the 1980s to steal our water and devour us all --

in the same room?

Me neither.

You have solved the mystery, comrade. Well done.Of course. None of what you claim can be validated until Reuters fact checks it. So. Stay tuned.

Screen Shot 2020-04-26 at 11.58.50 AM.jpg