The Cone of Silence

A while ago Pinkie mentioned the Cone of Silence but I didn't know what it was then. Since then, every time I come across a reference to the Cone of Silence I'm getting more and more inclined to think that it should be used in communications between our comrades.

I would even go as far as replace the KARAKTER OFF line with THE CONE OF SILENCE - and prepared a few graphics for you to choose from. Suggestions welcome.

Image Image Image Image
My only concern is that the reference may be too obscure. In this I will have to trust the opinions of those comrades who have infiltrated America earlier than I have and who have already familiarized themselves with its popular culture by watching TV shows and discussing them with the natives.

I can see how it might be obscure to someone who grew up in the Soviet Union and probably didn't get to watch old syndicated reruns of 60's TV shows when he came home from his "Little Lenin" classes and "Marx and Me" playgroups. However, judging from the Beatles-related posts I've seen around here, I'm guessing most of the Collective should be familiar with the Cone of Silence.

Or people who were born after the reruns of that show got old. Stupid age thing....

This was the Get Smart Cone of Silence:

The joke was that it never worked the way it was supposed to. Sometimes they couldn't hear each other at all, other times everyone around them could hear them, things like that. It was always useless and they always had to just forget using it and talk normally.

I think its a great idea to secretly communicate party information....

That's the point. Using it on the forum will make it look as if you're talking to yourself but everybody can read it. Same concept.

I can think of a few other forums where members talk to themselves all the time, but I don't know that anyone's reading them. I for one scroll down past posts all made by the same person, thinking to myself, "What a loser," and wallowing in my schadenfreude.

LoneRedStar wrote:I think its a great idea to secretly communicate party information....
Yes, in fact this could be in addition to KARAKTER OFF posts. You're still in character, but you need to communicate something that "no one else can hear or we'll have to kill them."

For example:

In order to defeat McCain using his own silly campaign finance reform, the Party has trusted its best propaganda artist Oliver Stone to make a movie called W about how evil and stupid Bush is, along with the entire Republican establishment. It will tie Bush's unpopular and pathetic image (played by Josh Brolin) to McCain better than the Mississippi Republican ads could tie Democrats to Jeremiah Wright. The movie is to be released on the eve of the November presidential elections, when according to McCain-Feingold's law no political ads can be released by any of the party's supporters. But the movie is a major work of art, all financed by foreign investors (including China), and does not qualify for McCain-Feingold. Opposing its release before the elections by the government will be a major scandal and give an excuse to the Democrats to accuse Republicans of being fascists. It's a win-win all the way around.

But we don't want the voters know we're screwing with their heads again, that's why this information can only be passed along using the cone of silence.

If we stick with the Get Smart images, more people will get it with time. Especially people like me who grew up watching Get Smart but have since forgotten what the cone of silence was. It's a clever idea. Also, there is nothing political about this post, nothing at all.
Paid for by Comrades of Blogunov for Premier
"I'm Komissar Blogunov, and I approve of this post."

Comrde Cube, I would not be surprised if that was not me you heard using the venerable Cone of Silence. You need not fear the Cone of Silence being too obscure, though of course it should remain obscure to the Enemies of the People. The Get Smart movie will be hitting the theaters in June, and so the Cone of Silence will once more be featured! Praise Stalin! I have been eagerly awaiting this movie for a year now!

Comrade Otis wrote:The joke was that it never worked the way it was supposed to. Sometimes they couldn't hear each other at all, other times everyone around them could hear them, things like that. It was always useless and they always had to just forget using it and talk normally.

Ah comrade, it worked wonderfully and will be an excellent addition to the Cube. For instance, I can honestly report to the Chairman why it was necessary for me to divert 98% of the contributions I had collected, to my account instead of the Party. No one else in the Party will be any wiser, and the Chairman will not either, but I can go home to my dacha knowing that I reported honestly and completely.

Judging from the "cone of silence" posts that appeared on other topics, the idea is picking up. I just made it easier to implement, adding the "cone of silence" category into the clipart selection in the People's WYSIWYG editor.

1. Go to "insert clipart" (second icon from the left in the bottom row)
2. Click on "Category" dropdown list
3. Choose "Code of Silence"
4. Click on any image you like. Like so:

Fear not, Pinkie will find a way to totally screw this up . . .

Now look at what you've done.

ThoughtCrime™ no doubt Kommissar Vodkov! So, you finally decide to come back. So where is your report?

I posted a rather inflammatory paragraph or two and Commissar Pupovich suggested that I might have taken umbrage when none was meant. I am not utterliy convinced but am unsure enough to redact it. Let there not be any misunderstandings among the Truly Progressive.

By the way, it is possible that bitchiness just goes with the territory.

Hmmmm, I can see her usage of that word.... all one need do is witness the actions of those moonbats and you can see their agony.... There but for the Grace of Stalin go I.