The People's Memory Hole

I noted the other day that there seemed to be a sort of collective insanity overtaking the Cube for the past week or so. Maybe it's spring fever. Maybe it's the offgassing from the new pews in the Church of Climatology™ building (the Goremans™ have been in full pitch glossolalia since Friday morning and I can no longer put it down to too much sugar from biting the heads off chocolate bunnies)... Our Progressive Red Hedgehog has gone into hiding. Meow barely mentions his solid gold closet doors or new curtains any more. And Betty has disappeared completely (and taken the power stapler with him... clearly a repeat performance of Halloween 2005... I'm searching for the pliers now)...

I suspect a Troll has smuggled an Orwellian Memory Hole into the Cube somewhere and has been covertly f**king with us... And this all fits very nicely with something I've been ruminating on for a while now - brought on by some of the more recent Blog topics... The whole Wee The Little People/Blue Bell thread; mention of the Long March (past and present... present and future); the CDC ASS ALERT (and its obvious though perhaps tenuous connection to Holes in general)... even the mention of Pascal's Wager (some flashback to undergrad philosophy) in The Daily Truth™...

Anyhoo... I've been thinking of Orwell's Memory Hole lately... or the idea of it (not his ACTUAL Hole)... the general concept keeps popping into my consciousness (nooooo... it's not the drugs)... and then synchronicity brought two more things together in the last couple days... The first was Comrade Otis' "trickle up" dissertation, AND this editorial by George Jonas that mentions the idea of The Memory Hole (which is just too much coincidence, really)... And suddenly the idea gelled...

Just as Glorious Red Square has seen fit to give our Trolls a place of their own to frolic in the form of GulagoTroll™ - a place where they can express themselves openly without constantly whingeing about Freedom of Speech but where we can still poke them with sticks - so perhaps he might see fit to make manifest The Cube's very own Memory Hole... Turn the concept on its head, in the exact manner in which Comrade Otis outlined the "trickle up" concept... It's not as if we can hide anything from the Party anyway (nor should we!). So, anything we would like to expunge from our consciousness can be 'dropped' (posted) in The Memory Hole™, but the Party will still have access to it, as they should, and therefore maintain absolute control of it, and of us!

Just think! We wake up in the morning and feel the need to completely and utterly disassociate ourselves from some Inconvenient Truth™ that is making us uncomfortable or requires us to exercise logic in a way we simply cannot cope with in the moment - we click over to the People's Cube Memory Hole™, drop it in and flush... We are rid of it, and yet it may still be used to control us, and our past, present AND future! I'm sorry to be so excited by the idea, but the total abrogation of both logical thought AND responsibility just makes me feel so warm and cuddly!

I sincerely hope this suggestion meets with the Party's approval. The recent 'instability' exhibited by certain Cubists has left me feeling uncertain and insecure and my innate desire to be coddled by the Nanny State™ has perhaps made me too foreward in offering public suggestions, in which case I humbly await re-edukation. I figure, either way, it's a win/win situation for me, particularly as I lack thumbs on which to suck...

S.M.O.
Current Thought Criminal™ #868088

Who controls the past controls the future; who controls the present controls the past. ~ George Orwell

The uncontested absurdities of today are the accepted slogans of tomorrow. They come to be accepted by degrees, by precedent, by implication, by erosion, by default, by dint of constant pressure on one side and constant retreat on the other - until the day when they are suddenly declared to be the country's official ideology.
~ Ayn Rand

BRILLIANT!

what a concept...I feel better already!!!

So what exactly would be dumped into The Memory Hole™? I need examples and a visual aid to help me understand this complicated concept. Oh, and will we need to hire more Friendly, Caring and Compassionate Government Assistants to manage such a daunting and tax-dollar consuming project? (please say yes, please say yes, please say yes!)

Meow asked:
So what exactly would be dumped into The Memory Hole™?
Oh, idunno...little things like remembering to post pictures of one's pet dachshunds, maybe?

Chairman M. S. Punchenko wrote:So what exactly would be dumped into The Memory Hole™? I need examples and a visual aid to help me understand this complicated concept. Oh, and will we need to hire more Friendly, Caring and Compassionate Government Assistants to manage such a daunting and tax-dollar consuming project? (please say yes, please say yes, please say yes!)

Well... just off the top of my head, Michael Ignatieff and today's Leaf's game... oh!... and that ill-considered roadside discount colonoscopy... but sure... "Yes, yes, yes"....

... there's also that video of you and Dr. P at the Shriner's fundraiser <ewwww... shuddering>.... that thing with the fez was just soooooo wrong...

Oh yes, LOL... the shriners fundraiser. Hmm, I totally forgot about that. Anywho, the Dachshunds are being well takened cared of and my minions and I are parading them about in front of maps to show the world THAT THEY WERE WRONG! Yes, any moment now one of them will confess... any moment now!

DAY 180 OF THE DACHSHUND HOSTAGE CRISIS CONTINUES! (dum...dum...DUM!)

Chairman M. S. Punchenko wrote:Oh yes, LOL... the shriners fundraiser. Hmm, I totally forgot about that. Anywho, the Dachshunds are being well takened cared of and my minions and I are parading them about in front of maps to show the world THAT THEY WERE WRONG! Yes, any moment now one of them will confess... any moment now!

DAY 180 OF THE DACHSHUND HOSTAGE CRISIS CONTINUES! (dum...dum...DUM!)

And you could forget IT ALL!... No more embarrassment... completely guilt-free wallowing in $oft Ca$h, rather than spurred on by the need to forget some unpleasantness... Absolute infantilization!... Leave your bad memories in the hands of those with greater wisdom to use as they see fit.... as they must use us all...

Anything that sharpens our shovels brings greater glory to the Cube.... or something like that... I've forgotten...

So what exactly would be dumped into The Memory Hole™?

The same thing that is dumped into any hole in the ground when one is camping and cannot find a more appropriate place to evacuate their bowels.