Map of Individualism (vs Collectivism)

There is an interesting article and discussion posted on this European forum. I have yet to decide if I agree with all the points, but there surely is a lot of food for thought.

Map of Individualism (vs Collectivism)

Map_Individualism_Collectivism.jpg

Also see this -

How individualistic are you?

Are some countries doomed to high unemployment due to their genetic pool?

So when our faithful progs like professor Comrade Noel Ignatiev refer to all white people as cancer that deserves to be eliminated from the face of the earth, he mostly means those white people who come from more individualistic Celtic/Germanic cultures. Perhaps the others don't pose too big a threat to the collectivist utopia of Next Tuesday. Or am I growing too soft?

In my defence, consider the Scandinavian Law of Jante (jantelagen): Generally used colloquially as a sociological term to negatively describe an attitude towards individuality and success common in Sweden and the rest of the Nordic countries, the term refers to a mentality that de-emphasizes individual effort and places all emphasis on the collective, while discouraging those who stand out as achievers.

Which explains Minnesota.

And by "Minnesota" I mean, of course, the Prairie Home Companion (Al Franken's election is an added bonus).

Ahhhhhh, I see they're still using the outmoded, discarded, and generally forgotten old color scheme in their maps in Europe.

The really need to catch up - don't they know the American Media switched those colors around (Peter Jennings started it, as I recall) waaaaaaaaay back many years ago so the progs wouldn't be thought of as "reds" (no offense intended to Comrade People's Director Red Square)?

Pshaw - and FORWARD!

Holy Lenin's beard! Up until now, when anyone asked me what color the sky is, I always replied with the resolute "Red." But change is in the air, along with the fundamental transformation of the country. If it goes like this, I may have to consider switching to Blue Square soon, lest I deviate too far from the Party Line. Remind me tomorrow what hue the sky is again, so I can adjust the Current Truth accordingly.

Comrade, it's best to just think in terms of rainbows, on so many levels!

And that way, it's easy to slide the Current Truth™ from one side of the spectrum to the other. Be sure to avoid white, however.

Comrade ROCK,

Italians seem the most rainbow-like of all. Yes? And what about all those "white" <spit> areas? Who lives in those places called Mediterranean, Black, and Caspian? I guess they must be people without any personalities at all...Oh, well...

Who says our State Edjucashun System doesn't work ?

Captain Crap. ......... You seem to be enlightened by you're commentary above. Perhaps you have graduated with honors from either a public school or Columbia University.

Not bad for a squirrel.

Krasnodar wrote:Who says our State Edjucashun System doesn't work ?

Captain Crap. ......... You seem to be enlightened by you're commentary above. Perhaps you have graduated with honors from either a public school or Columbia University.

Not bad for a squirrel.

I'll take your remarks as a compliment, comrade. Mainly cause I'll feel smarter that way. (BTW: It's edgeamacashun) And yes. I graduated from The Columbia School of Journalism and Propaganda early this morning. Thanks for noticing. Here's a snap of my roommate preparing for his next lecture.

DrunkGuy.jpg

Comrade Red Sqaure,

Very interesting map. My curiosity reared it's ugly head, and I did a search for a map of the globe and found this.

A World Map of Hofstede's Individualism Dimension -

And this.

World map of Hofstede's Individualism by Country - Targ

Apparently 100 is absolute individualism and the lower numbers represent a very high level of State collectivism. The map was created 3 years ago. A bit compelling.

Red Walrus wrote:Comrade Red Sqaure,

Apparently 100 is absolute individualism and the lower numbers represent a very high level of State collectivism. The map was created [highlight=#FFFF00]3 years ago[/highlight]. A bit compelling.

Comrade Walrus,

Here's the updated version indicating our progress in the USSA:

Revised Map.jpg

[img]/images/clipart/Prog_Off.gif[/img]
Cappy, when I posted that link, while thinking back 3 years, a lot has changed. My thoughts are, after 5 years of Obama, there has to be a rather large change in the Country's colors. I was expecting an amberish, slightly reddish, fog over the entire map, with the West Coast and Northeast green/blue. I was pretty close. Is that actually the updated map? If so, there's still a glimmer of hope for us.

[img]/images/clipart/Prog_On.gif[/img]

Damn that Bush. After 5 years of retirement, and painting pictures of his dog, he still has considerable control over flyover Country. He makes me sick. Same goes for those freaks down under.

GloriousWorldMap.jpg
Updated version.

You knew it was coming, didn't you...

I refuse to be categorized as an individualist.

Comrade Rock has the accurate read on the USSA colors.

On the other hand Comrade Hofstede has also been inaccurate in describing Britain and France as individualist societies. Belgium and Denmark too. Really?

Ivan Betinov wrote:I refuse to be categorized as an individualist.

You and everyone else, Comrade.

I just want to be absolutely special and unique...just like everybody else.

Might take a little getting used to ....
BlueCube.jpg

In my previous post on the Law of Jante I missed these important bullet points - apparently I'm not as good as I think I am, and obviously not as good as the rest of the kollektive.

I believe these rules should also become the guiding principles of the People's Cube and the list must be nailed to the impenetrable door of the People's Bunker:

- You're not to think you are anything special.
- You're not to think you are as good as us.
- You're not to think you are smarter than us.
- You're not to think you know more than us.
- You're not to think you are better than us.
- You're not to think you are good at anything.
- You're not to laugh at us.
- You're not to think anyone cares about you.
- You're not to think you can teach us anything.
- Perhaps you don't think I know a few things about you?

"Equal stomachs" comrade Red Square, equal stomachs. "We all have equal stomachs" phrase worked for decades.

ibid wrote:Collectivist people care more about personal ties, belonging to a group, feeling accepted and respected within the group, but tend to be more clannish too and to distrust people outside their group. Collectivists are first and foremost approval seekers, who care about their image and what others think of them.

He is describing Ayn Rand's "second-hander." Currently, the best exemplar of second-handedness is Comrade Party Chairman Barack Barackovich Obama. He has truly led the life Elsworth Toohey would be envious. Comrade Party Chairman Barack Barackovich Obama has made The Politics of Being Beholden to others the politics of America. First of himself to the People that think of him constantly and for whom he depends on his own self-worth, to the people that pledge loyalty and fidelity to one man, Comrade Party Chairman Barack Barackovich Obama, for their very livelihood. This will soon be all of us. That is the world that collectivism and the second-hander creates, and it is so much more secure and wonderful than what it replaces: wild-west cowboy jungle of anarchy known as capitalism.

Comrade Otis wrote:
ibid wrote:Collectivist people care more about personal ties, belonging to a group, feeling accepted and respected within the group, but tend to be more clannish too and to distrust people outside their group. Collectivists are first and foremost approval seekers, who care about their image and what others think of them.

[highlight=#NaNffff]He is describing Ayn Rand's "second-hander." Currently, the best exemplar of second-handedness is Comrade Party Chairman Barack Barackovich Obama. He has truly led the life Elsworth Toohey would be envious. Comrade Party Chairman Barack Barackovich Obama has made The Politics of Being Beholden to others the politics of America. First of himself to the People that think of him constantly and for whom he depends on his own self-worth, to the people that pledge loyalty and fidelity to one man, Comrade Party Chairman Barack Barackovich Obama, for their very livelihood. This will soon be all of us. That is the world that collectivism and the second-hander creates, and it is so much more secure and wonderful than what it replaces: wild-west cowboy jungle of anarchy known as capitalism.[/highlight]

Yes! The jungle. We were lost in the jungle of freedom and Comrade Obama is leading us to collective salvation. As someone once said, "You are free - and that is why you're lost."