<prog off> Sad News

Comrades, I happened across this sad news.

Rifle designer Mikhail Kalashnikov dead at 94

I had the privilege of meeting Mr. Kalashnikov in Abu Dhabi at a Defense Exposition; I was walking through the Soviet pavillion, (in uniform) and a very tall and friendly gentleman asked what we thought of the show, and the Emirates. What a shock when he introduced himself.

Like him or don't, he designed a rifle that works even when dropped in the mud. it's popular, and simple. Our world has changed because of this man.

Kalashnikov.jpg

I posted this news at FB. The man is a legend. Good design deserves appreciation.

KalashnikovAndStoner.jpg
Love this photo - Mikhail Kalashnikov and Eugene Stoner :)

AK-47 is fine weapon "for comrades who like that kind of thing," but is not patch on Mosin-Nagant. When screaming counter-revolutionary attacks you with cavalry sword, Mosin-Nagant with bayonet stops this nonsense two yards away.

Is also good tent peg and hammer.

Tovarichi wrote:Comrades, I happened across this sad news.

Rifle designer Mikhail Kalashnikov dead at 94

I had the privilege of meeting Mr. Kalashnikov in Abu Dhabi at a Defense Exposition; I was walking through the Soviet pavillion, (in uniform) and a very tall and friendly gentleman asked what we thought of the show, and the Emirates. What a shock when he introduced himself.

Like him or don't, he designed a rifle that works even when dropped in the mud. it's popular, and simple. Our world has changed because of this man.

Sorry to see another mechanical genius leave the scene. Soon there will be only CAD/CAM creators. He designed one of the few military weapons fully field cleanable with straight vodka. I wonder if Dear Leader will be attending the funeral?

A young Mikhail toiling selflessly for the Mother Land.

[attachment=0]Mikhail-Kalashnikov-21226419-1-402.jpg[/attachment]

I gotta give credit where credit is due... his creation was pure genius in it's simplicity.

“Ask a Soviet engineer to design a pair of shoes and he'll come up with something that looks like the boxes that the shoes came in; ask him to make something that will massacre Germans, and he turns into Thomas Fucking Edison.”

I may have posted this before, but it's worth a revisit if I did - Mikhail Kalashnikov's design of the AK-series of rifles also lends itself to cooking breakfast, while your weapon remains battle ready at all times :)

Sad indeed. I never had the opportunity to meet the gentleman, but I do own several copies of his masterpiece. I have a 12 gauge version I carry in the woods for bear repellant. It is my favorite. Is that ironic?

I was theorizing that Kalashnikov and Stoner were somewhere comparing notes, and then I saw the photo posted by Comrade R.O..C.K. My heart soared!

RIP

Red Salmon

[img]images/clipart/Prog_Off.gif[/img]Mr. Kalashnikov, I salute you and your incredible weapon. To have come up with such a simple, yet sturdy and reliable design speaks of your true genius.[img]images/clipart/Prog_On.gif[/img]

Comrades! What is this talk of guns! If you are thinking about guns, that means you plan on massacring a nursery school in Dekatur. You're all being denounced.

And anyway, you'll all shoot your eyes out.

It is Glorious! True to form, according to this site, https://www.duffelblog.com/2013/12/mikh ... 2-23626081

Comrade Kalishnikov will be buried with full military honors in a pit of mud... In a week, they will pull him out, hose him off and he will function as normal! If anyone could do it, Kalishnikov could!