Democracy = Illiteracy

Democracy must preserve illiteracy, otherwise kids won't be able to read in the cultural dark.

jackalopelipsky wrote:
3/6/2023, 12:44 pm
Democracy must preserve illiteracy, otherwise kids won't be able to read in the cultural dark.

Mx. Hidalgo states that HISD is a school system that is moving upward. In a quick lookup, I learned that "in the last 19 months, HISD has made academic strides reducing the number of its campuses with a D or F rating from 50 to 10."  Because a few failing schools is alright, right?  I also learned the proposed take over is racist.  Didn't delve into it, but I'm sure that headline was accurate. 

In my mind there is a very good chance that the schools there are failing upward, as mine are in the Peoples Republic of Fairfax County, VA. The county mandated We happily adopted  "Standards Based Grading", "rolling gradebooks", a minimum grade of 50% for assignments not turned in and assessments not taken, late work that can be turned in with minimal penalty.  Oh, and attendance is not counted against a students grade.

Amazingly, since we implemented these policies during covid lockdown and were forced to maintain them since happily chose to keep them in place, student achievement has soared. 

The benefits are two fold.  One, it proves one doesn't have to read and write well, or understand math and science, to achieve a good grade and be successful. 

Two, there are students who feel that academic success equals white supremacy, and thus, don't want passing grades.  There has been an uptick in the work ethic of some of these lazy students as they have to try really hard to fail, yet still manage it.  

You comprehend the educational institution of Houston ISD like you wrote the curriculum, KJF. Improving the scores of the remedial readers would push the more advanced readers forward. That makes it very hard on democracy, though.

‘pelipsky is starting a myth cooked up at the kitchen sink, that HISD Administrators are right now having meetings, planning a symposium, to discuss how educational improvements are detrimental to “our democracy”.