Does Russia have a historical claim to Ukraine?

Here's a look at the claim that Russia is simply taking what is rightfully theirs by invading Ukraine.  This brief and entertaining video examines the validity of Russia's claim that is promoted through Russian propaganda and sometimes affirmed in conservative circles.

The Tatars claiming the right to rule over Moscow is a good analogy.

Also:

- Austria invading Hungary, Italy, and the Balkans because they were all once parts of a happy Austro-Hungarian Empire.

- Denmark invading the British Isles to establish a proper Danelaw this time around.

- Saddam Hussein invading Kuwait - imagine what might happen then! Oh wait...

You're forgetting Germany invading and conquering most of Europe, including western Russia, on the grounds that they were reclaiming historical German territory..

China's Han ethnicity claiming historical rights to places they just want and then engaging in ethnic cleansing.

The Russians have been trying to eliminate the Ukrainians for centuries. Stalin starved 20 million of them to death.

Ukraine, after gaining independence, rose and became one of the world's top food exporters and a potentially top energy exporter for Europe.

Then Putin and the Russians decided that Ukraine did not deserve to be a sovereign nation.

It's a pity that more people don't understand the Ukrainian situation and think it's only about the dollars. $100 billion has been sent to Ukraine, so far. Our government just passed an almost $2 trillion spending package. It's not about the money.

The absurdity of Putin's claim is mind-boggling.

Putin says there's no such thing as the Ukrainian people and language, they are just confused Russians who need to be unconfused. As a result of his actions, Ukrainians are as determined as ever to get rid of the Russian presence, and most of the previously fence-sitting Russian speakers no longer want to identify as Russians.

Putin also claims the Russian-speaking Ukrainians in the east and south of Ukraine need to be protected. To that end, he is destroying Russian-speaking Ukrainian cities in the east and south, killing thousands of Russian-speaking civilians and annihilating their infrastructure, leaving them without electricity, heat, and water.

In effect, the Russian troops are telling Ukrainians, "We came to liberate you, but first we will rape and shoot you, burn your house, and steal your kitchen appliances."

This is happening right now. A residential high-rise was hit by a Russian rocket in a large industrial city of Dnipro, populated by mostly Russian-speaking Ukrainians. My grandmother was born there, and I still have a large extended family in Dnipro. There are multiple casualties and dozens of wounded, including children. The actual number is still to be determined.

Yeah. And so called conservatives, without any understanding of the situation, are relaying the Russian propaganda that it's because Ukraine is full of NAZIs that Russia invaded. Why anyone believes Russian propaganda is beyond me. I don't even believe American propaganda.

I've had many interactions with so called conservatives on Twitter about the war and most of them are completely clueless. They don't even know the Soviet history, let alone anything before that.

Kapitan Kangaroo Kourt wrote:
1/14/2023, 4:22 pm
Yeah. And so called conservatives, without any understanding of the situation, are relaying the Russian propaganda that it's because Ukraine is full of NAZIs that Russia invaded. Why anyone believes Russian propaganda is beyond me. I don't even believe American propaganda.

I've had many interactions with so called conservatives on Twitter about the war and most of them are completely clueless. They don't even know the Soviet history, let alone anything before that.
Remember that leading the charge is intellectual heavyweight, Marjorie Taylor Greene.  "Not one more penny for Yewkraine! 'n' guns!"

Also, your previous post about the budget is going to be the subject of my next short video.  MTG is determined to have accountability for the money sent to Ukraine, the only sensible part of the budget, but what about accountability over the remaining 1.6 trillion?

Also, the problem with Danelaw is that it hasn't been properly implemented. If we just put the right people in charge...

Komissar al-Blogunov wrote:
1/17/2023, 11:07 am
1/14/2023, 4:22 pm

Remember that leading the charge is intellectual heavyweight, Marjorie Taylor Greene.  "Not one more penny for Yewkraine! 'n' guns!"

Also, your previous post about the budget is going to be the subject of my next short video.  MTG is determined to have accountability for the money sent to Ukraine, the only sensible part of the budget, but what about accountability over the remaining 1.6 trillion?
The unfortunate thing about the debate is that most people, left or right, don't know anything about it.

Those on the right oppose it because of the money being spent, that isn't being spent here, without any comprehension of what the implications of not opposing Putin would mean. Almost 100 years ago, many thought the same about Hitler. Putin has been using that same strategy but they are ignorant of history. 

Those on the left support Ukraine and oppose Putin without knowing why. They do it because it's the latest virtue signal. They oppose Putin simply because of the "Trump/Russia collusion" lie. They are also ignorant of history.

It amazes me that so few understand the importance of what's happening there. I don't agree with anything the Biden administration is doing, except for this. It's unfortunate for the Ukrainians that this had to be where the confrontation had to be waged (and I feel for you Oleg, it's got to be hard for you to stomach what you're seeing) but it's going to have to be combatted somewhere.

Like Poland in 1939, Ukraine has become what has compelled the Western allied nations to act against an aggressor and common threat. Russian aggression has been ignored for over 20 years. The Russian rulers do not care about lives. They simply want power.

Red Square wrote:
1/14/2023, 4:06 pm
This is happening right now. A residential high-rise was hit by a Russian rocket in a large industrial city of Dnipro, populated by mostly Russian-speaking Ukrainians. My grandmother was born there, and I still have a large extended family in Dnipro. There are multiple casualties and dozens of wounded, including children. The actual number is still to be determined.

This reminds me of an incident several years ago when "Chechen rebels" took over a theatre (I think it was in Moscow) and the "security" forces decided that the best way to deal with the situation was to gas the crowded theatre, killing around 200 people, mostly hostages. My memory may be off on this.

I remember a similar incident involving about 200 school children.

There was a song by Lou Reed about cancer. One of the lines in the song is "to cure you, we have to kill you" or something like that. That seems to be the Russian attitude. If they kill everyone, they will have peace. A little different from the American Left. They think, if they kill everyone, they will have harmony.

Kapitan, I have come to the precisely the same conclusions.  I only know you by your Nom de Cube, so if you haven't already done so, please join my Facebook page, America Supports Ukraine.

My goal is to inform open-minded Ukraine skeptics about the need to rally behind Ukraine.

Komissar al-Blogunov wrote:
1/17/2023, 5:10 pm
Kapitan, I have come to the precisely the same conclusions.  I only know you by your Nom de Cube, so if you haven't already done so, please join my Facebook page, America Supports Ukraine.

My goal is to inform open-minded Ukraine skeptics about the need to rally behind Ukraine.
Comrade al-Blugunov, I really don't visit FB, very often, but will happily join your page. You can also join me on Twitter (Dogstar (I, sometimes, do parody and make jokes) @theappocalypso) as I endeavor to educate the masses. My FB handle is also a pseudonym (Johnathon Smith). I like to remain anonymous, online, though I'm more open in DMs.

Добро пожаловать, товарищ!

1/17/2023, 3:23 pm
Red Square wrote:

This reminds me of an incident several years ago when "Chechen rebels" took over a theatre (I think it was in Moscow) and the "security" forces decided that the best way to deal with the situation was to gas the crowded theatre, killing around 200 people, mostly hostages. My memory may be off on this.

There was a song by Lou Reed about cancer. One of the lines in the song is "to cure you, we have to kill you" or something like that. That seems to be the Russian attitude. If they kill everyone, they will have peace. A little different from the American Left. They think, if they kill everyone, they will have harmony.

The subject of one nation rationalizing "dibs" on another nation because of "history", such as Russian subjection of the nation of Ukraine, The American analogy would be does Mexico have a historic claim to Texazistan? The American Left's harmony on the historic right of Mexico's ownership of Texas is just as treacherous as Russia's willingness to kill to set Ukrainians free. The Federal Government has added Austin to its list of Texas cities engaged in illegal human trafficking because of the American Left's 'harmony/unity' with Mexico's historic privilege to subjugate Texas. The killing in the name of Peace is something the American Left is intent upon legalizing through the Federal Courts. Horror stories are true at the Texas border with Mexico.

Ukraine, as did Texas, removed itself from the government of a historic government of oppression.

But as Red Square said:

In Texas, the focus is harmony, then, the chilling kill of peace to "cure us" for being Texas. In Ukraine, it's the other way 'round.

It's the same culture war, regardless.

forelock tug,
'pelipsky

jackalopelipsky wrote:
1/18/2023, 7:32 pm
1/17/2023, 3:23 pm
Red Square wrote:

The subject of one nation rationalizing "dibs" on another nation because of "history", such as Russian subjection of the nation of Ukraine, The American analogy would be does Mexico have a historic claim to Texazistan? The American Left's harmony on the historic right of Mexico's ownership of Texas is just as treacherous as Russia's willingness to kill to set Ukrainians free. The Federal Government has added Austin to its list of Texas cities engaged in illegal human trafficking because of the American Left's 'harmony/unity' with Mexico's historic privilege to subjugate Texas. The killing in the name of Peace is something the American Left is intent upon legalizing through the Federal Courts. Horror stories are true at the Texas border with Mexico.

Ukraine, as did Texas, removed itself from the government of a historic government of oppression.

But as Red Square said:

In Texas, the focus is harmony, then, the chilling kill of peace to "cure us" for being Texas. In Ukraine, it's the other way 'round.

It's the same culture war, regardless.

forelock tug,
'pelipsky
Actually, I was the one that said that about Lou Reed.

Regardless, the Left is giving up most of the border states to invaders and California is leading the capitulation.

Apologies, KKK.

Texas is America’s, Ukraine.

In some ways, yes. Except the US government is refusing to defend Texas.