Drug Shortage Causes Fewer Deaths. Overpopulation Fears

Comrades,

This will no doubt slow the formation of Death Panels Ethics Boards in their important work.

Lacking enough of the anesthetic essential to the cocktail of lethal drugs administered during executions, several US states are being forced to postpone the procedure until early next year.
At the heart of the drug supply problem is Hospira, the only pharmaceutical company that produces the anesthetic sodium thiopental.

"We are working to get it back on the market and we anticipate we will by 2011," Hospira spokesman told AFP.

The US Food and Drug Administration does not approve the drug's use in lethal injections and Hospira does not sell it for that purpose, though prison officials make significant use of sodium thiopental in executions.
CONTINUED....
~
"This is an anesthetic agent that is used by hospital and it is not indicated for capital punishment," Rosenberg added. "We do not make it for that, we don't support its use in that procedure."

He noted that Hospira does not disclose sales of the drug because it is not a big seller for the company.

Death row inmates are injected intravenously with three drugs once strapped in the death chamber: first they are put to sleep with sodium thiopental, pancuronium bromide then paralyzes their muscles and stops their breathing, and finally, potassium chloride stops their heart.

Two states -- Ohio in the Midwest and Washington in the Northwest -- have opted to carry out executions by injecting only sodium thiopental, but at very high and deadly doses.

The supply dry-up nationwide has prompted Kentucky Governor Steve Beshear to announce he would only sign one of the three execution orders pending on his desk.

"The Kentucky Department of Corrections has a sufficient amount of sodium thiopental for one execution and that amount expires on October 1, 2010," he added in a statement.

Gregory Wilson, who has been on death row for 22 years, will thus be executed on September 16 with the state's last dose of the drug.

But his fellow inmates Ralph Baze and Robert Foley, who like Wilson have also exhausted all their appeals, will be granted an additional, if somewhat accidental, reprieve.

In Oklahoma, authorities only have enough sodium thiopental for one execution although two are scheduled -- for October 14 and 15.

A federal judge stayed the execution of Jeffrey Matthews in mid-August on the day he was due to be put to death because the state planned to use a different anesthetic in what his lawyers labeled "nothing more than experimental."

"The Oklahoma attorney general's office has asked the court to lift the stay on that case because we weren't able to obtain the drug on time to carry out the execution on the previous protocol," spokesman Jerry Massie said.

"So we'll waiting for a hearing" to determine whether to postpone one of the executions, he added.

Rosenberg said Hospira does not know which states have used up their supplies of sodium thiopental because a lot of the firm's products are sold through distributors.

A dozen US states regularly perform the death penalty. Texas and Ohio are the most active, with 16 and six executions respectively this year.

In Texas, officials say the lethal injections will go forward.

"We have two executions currently scheduled and we do have a sufficient amount of supply for those executions," said Michelle Lyons, a spokeswoman for the Texas Department of Criminal Justice.

Lyons said she could not confirm whether Texas had enough of the drugs to perform any future executions this year.

Ohio also made similar claims, though it is said to be running short on its supply of sodium thiopental, which it uses more than any other state.

"We are declining to provide specific information on this issue in the interest of security," said Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Correction spokeswoman Julie Walburn.

==================================
Comrade, If you're going to quote long articles or write long article, please break it up in chunks by using the (~) character. Our proles have enough to read for re-education already, and we would hate to have to send them back to Jiffi-Lobo™ for reprogramming.

- Supreme Commander of Thread Jacking & Stuffed Mice Toys™

https://www.rawstory.com/rs/2010/09/sta ... rt-supply/

Oh dear... oh dear.

I am afraid that comrade Whoopie is correct in HIS review of the not so Dear Leader. If Maobama gets in the way of production of necessary killing useful drugs which the states need to accomplish current green initiatives then his time has gone. We still have to eliminate 5.5 billion people and it is going slowly as it is by these dribs and drabs.

Can anyone imagine that our MTE would ever allow lethal drugs to go into back orders? Exactly!

oops sorry about that... fixed it. My brain is taking some personal days this weekend.

Drugs for execution?!? Bah! A bullet will do! Bullets worked for our Dear, Past, Great Leader Josef Stalin (may his moustache ever grow longer)! Or even better: Re-edukation! Simply "allow" these Kriminals of the State to go to publik skhool when our Might Leader makes his annual First Secretarial Address on September 14th, and let them be re-indoktrinated into useful society. Our Wondrous Leader would surely agree, as he is against any form of useless slaughter (unless it is the Hard Kore Neo-Kons on the Right who - with their Kapitalistik Propaganda and Paid Aktors who "Protest" those of us who choose to allow Kriminals to be reedukated in State Politikal Prisons - kontinually get in the way!), and has no time to spare for useless drugs which kannot kill as effektively as reedukation. Let their minds kollapse and be regnited by Komrade Obama's Address on September 14th, and for them, every day thereafter! To the Gulags with those who oppose!
Hmmmmm.....money says that this won't be a "priority" for the Obama Administration anytime soon. His advisors on the left no doubt are gleeful at this chance to show "compassion"....

darski wrote:Oh dear... oh dear.

I am afraid that comrade Whoopie is correct in her review of the not so Dear Leader.

I'm not a girl dammit! (runs away crying)

Lookie here darski, you made our dear Comrade Whoopie cry. *There, there Whoopie. It will be ok. Here. I brought your favorite Michelle Obama doll. That's ok. Let it all out. I'm sure darski didn't mean it. Even so, Comrade darski will find their sleeping time reallocated to beet digging time. *

Anyway, this is quite numbing news. In fact, you might say it left me without any feeling at all.

Hold on here! First darski was crying over the Celebration of Women On Top ... er... was it the Woompa Loompa's that frightened her??... Hmmm... anyways and now she's gone and hurt Whoopie's feelings... I think we all will need an injection before this drama is over.

Groucho Marxist - the Party looks kindly on your zeal, but you're risking a day-long session of mandatory self-criticism with prejudice, because your lead post doesn't contain the name and the link of the source.

If we want to pass for a mainstream news organ, we must act like one.

[OFF]
This whole story is nonsensical. There must be hundreds of anesthetics and potent hypnotics or sedatives that would render a person unconscious in seconds after IV administration of a large dose. I'd think 20mg of Valium (oh heck, make it 50mg) would do the trick. Then follow up with a solution of potassium cyanide IV and brain death would occur in seconds. Or strap a mask on their face and let them breath an anesthetic gas like halothane at 100% concentration until their heart stops beating.

This whole lethal injection scheme was a clever ploy by the anti-death penalty folks to create a myriad of excuses why even this method can't be carried out. There is no method, no matter how painless or humane that will ever satisfy them.

[off]

I don't agree with the death penalty. Morally I have issues with killing someone in the name of Justice(TM) when they are already incarcerated. It's crude form of revenge. It does nothing to undo the crime or crimes committed, and it simply stoops the citizen, hidden behind the power of The State to the same level as the person being executed.

Red Square wrote:Groucho Marxist - the Party looks kindly on your zeal, but you're risking a day-long session of mandatory self-criticism with prejudice, because your lead post doesn't contain the name and the link of the source.

If we want to pass for a mainstream news organ, we must act like one.
Apologies Supreme Leader I will report immediately for extra beet duties and re-education.

Colonel 7.62 wrote:[off]

It's crude form of revenge. It does nothing to undo the crime or crimes committed, and it simply stoops the citizen, hidden behind the power of The State to the same level as the person being executed.

Yeah, exactly. What's your point?

Comrade Whoopie wrote:[OFF]
This whole story is nonsensical. There must be hundreds of anesthetics and potent hypnotics or sedatives that would render a person unconscious in seconds after IV administration of a large dose. I'd think 20mg of Valium (oh heck, make it 50mg) would do the trick. Then follow up with a solution of potassium cyanide IV and brain death would occur in seconds. Or strap a mask on their face and let them breath an anesthetic gas like halothane at 100% concentration until their heart stops beating.

This whole lethal injection scheme was a clever ploy by the anti-death penalty folks to create a myriad of excuses why even this method can't be carried out. There is no method, no matter how painless or humane that will ever satisfy them.
What is wrong with the old fashioned way? Image

But then again they should be given the same pain free and sensative approach that they gave their victims.

Chedoh wrote: What is wrong with the old fashioned way? Image
Too Racist

Comrade Whoopie wrote:
Colonel 7.62 wrote:[off]

It's crude form of revenge. It does nothing to undo the crime or crimes committed, and it simply stoops the citizen, hidden behind the power of The State to the same level as the person being executed.

Yeah, exactly. What's your point?
My point is, and I'm careful to state this so as to not sound like a libtard. We must as a society be better than the people that we would have executed. That means not stooping to their level.It is one thing to kill someone in self defense as they are committing a crime. It is an entirely different matter IMHO when we have the person in custody, locked up away from society. To kill them then, is in my mind barbaric. Anyone who breaks into my boat looking to do me harm has to contend with my shotgun and .357. If you break into it when I'm not home, why should a lethal threat apply then? Same thing, if someone kills someone and is behind bars, why must lethal force be applied after the fact? I have no problem applying lethal force during the commission of certain crimes. I despise it when it is applied well after the fact.

Johnny was bad, even as a child everybody could tell
Everyone said if you don't get straight
You'll surely go to hell

But Johnny didn't care
He was an outlaw by the time that he was
Ten years old
He didn't wanna do what he was told
Just a prankster, juvenile gangster

His teachers didn't understand
They kicked him out of school
At a tender early age
Just because he didn't want to learn things
(Had other interests)
He liked to burn things

The lady down the block
She had a radio that Johnny wanted oh so bad
So he took it the first chance he had
Then he shot her in the leg
And this is what she said
Only a lad
You really can't blame him
Only a lad
Society made him
Only a lad
He's our responsibility
Only a lad
He really couldn't help it
Only a lad
He didn't want to do it
Only a lad
He's underprivileged and abused
Perhaps a little bit confused

His parents gave up they couldn't influence his attitude
Nobody could help
The little man had no gratitude

And when he stole the care
Nobody dreamed that he would
Try to take it so far
He didn't mean to hit the poor man
Who had to go and die
It made the judge cry

Only a lad
He really couldn't help it
Only a lad
He didn't want to do it
Only a lad
He's underprivileged and abused
Perhaps a little bit confused

It's not his fault that he can't believe
It's not his fault that he can't behave
Society made him go astray
Perhaps if we're nice he'll go away
Perhaps he'll go away
He'll go away

(Repeat chorus)

Hey there Johnny you really don't fool me
You get away with murder
And you think it's funny
You don't give a damn if we live or if we die
Hey there Johnny boy
I hope you fry!

Colonel 7.62 wrote: I have no problem applying lethal force during the commission of certain crimes. I despise it when it is applied well after the fact.

So you don't have a problem killing someone for trespassing. You just begrudge society exacting revenge for murder.

I know what you mean. There's no gratification in watching someone else kill the bastard when you wish you could do it personally.

[snarkiness aside]

We have in our prison system a number of anti-social monsters. People who brag that if they ever get loose they intend to go on a killing spree. They never miss any opportunity to attack guards and fellow prisoners alike. People who are irredeemably beyond rehabilitation. Although some of these prisoners aren't doing time for murder, I would have no problem walking through the prison with a shotgun blasting them in their cells. Problem solved.

I don't believe in lethal force for simple trespassing. There has to be a definable felony or threat in progress. Enter my home, you are meeting Messrs. Sturm, Ruger and Company.

As far as the iredemable sociopaths... I think modern prison culture, coupled with modern street culture creates them to a great degree. Somewhere inbetween our current prison system, and a liberal happy land prison system is a happy medium that rehabilitates as many as possible.

Which will sadly never happen. The conservatives shriek "tough on crime", and the politicians respond by locking up pot smokers and petty thieves alongside hardened criminals. The libs scream "be humane" and given them plush, even luxurious accommodations, in the name of "fairness".

Then when someone finishes their sentence, and is deemed to have been punished for their crime, we brand them for all time with the label of "felon" and make them second class citizens. A modern invention, BTW. It was first used in California. When you can keep the poor immigrants who went to jail from voting by labeling them "felons" you can control the population. Like gun control, the notion of denying a felon basic civil rights like voting, is rooted in real racism. It has been around long enough to be acceptable to the conservatives though.

Do the time, make good on paying restitution, get your rights back. That's the point of punishment isn't it? When someone becomes a second class citizen, do you think they will lead a first class lifestyle?

Some people belong behind bars forever, based on how they interact with society.

Charlie Manson,William Gacey, Son of Sam, etc.; are they the some people you speak of RR? The fact that they will never see the light of day of the outside world is not punishment enough for the heinous crimes they committed.....insane or not! To make the taxpayer pay to keep them alive, is stupid too.

I will admit that mistakes will be made when sentencing criminals, but when there is no deterrent to do the crime, what should be done to stop the criminal from picking up where he left off when he is released?, rehabilitation? HA! You know the dismal stats on that argument.

I will also concede that most of the petty crimes ( ie: child support, too many tickets, illegal gambling, etc.) should not carry a prison sentence, but a hefty fine and community service, instead.

But I say, an "eye for an eye" when it comes to taking a life, with malice or intent.

What in the name of Stalin is going on in here!?!
Image It appears some High Party Official's keyboards have been possessed by the Neo-Kulak ghost of Ronnie Raygun! This just can't stand comrades! Repent for these thoughtcrimes which were not yours or your fault, as we know that the societal kapitalist propaganda has subverted your minds, unless of course your People's Computers really have been hijacked? Or maybe you lost your tinfoil hats?

Oh the travesty, I must report this to The Thoughtcrime Bureau™ at once!

(As for me, Comrade Che, I was just demonstrating the power of kapitalist propaganda and what NOT to think. That band was a planted propaganda stunt bought and paid for by Ronnie Raygun and the Vast Riechwing Conspiracy in the 80's, all their ideas and songs came from Fat Cat Corporate Riecht Wing think tanks. Shhhhh..... do not let the kapitalists know that we are onto their vile ways.)