Kommittee of Korrespondence: Expectations of Government

[img]/red/images/clipart/Cone_of_Silence/Cone_of_Silence_MrEd.jpg[/img]

Comrades, I believe that we have some significant and long entrenched views of government to overcome. A few thoughts converge on this subject such as...

Many Americans seem to have adopted the principles of FDR's 1944 State of the Union Address that the proper role of government is to provide housing, health care, education, and employment to all Americans. These things are seen as basic human rights rather than basic human responsibilities. Now, most Americans have no idea of FDR's "Second Bill of Rights" or when he articulated them, but they have accepted them in principle nevertheless.

Secondly, there seems to be a generally accepted belief that not only should governments provide these aforementioned things for the people, but that ONLY government can provide them. In other words, if the government doesn't oversee and control education, there will be no education. If government doesn't provide housing, there won't be any housing. You get the idea.

I ask my fellow comrades whether you also see these items as generally accepted presuppositions, and if so, how do you persuade people that limited government is better than dependency on government handouts? I think this is going to be a long, long campaign.

If the goobermint doesn't provide my generally accepted presuppositions, I don't have any. e.g., Benghazi was caused by YouTube.

Good point. Publik Skools and the People's Media provide us with our presuppositions. If government controls education, can education become anything other than the propaganda arm of the state?

That reminds me of Russell Crowe in "Cinderella Man", except that in the 30s there was shame associated with begging. In the movie, his character, Jimmy Braddock, asks for money in a moment of self-abasement for the sake of his family. When he takes some money in the way of government assistance, he feels compelled to pay it back when he can. Something happened to our culture between then and now, and I think it's partly the dependency state set in motion by Roosevelt.

The ship has already sailed but sometimes the Republicans (Democrats-Lite) try to introduce competition where possible. School vouchers comes to mind.

But how do you compete with 'free stuff'? We'll give you a pile of cash to opt out of Social Security? Where's that dough coming from?

Competing with the Feds means their surrendering their monopolies - hard to imagine.

Komissar Blogunov wrote:
... how do you persuade people that limited government is better than dependency on government handouts?
Image Probably the same way you "persuade" an addict to give up his drug/behavior of choice: stop enabling. Unfortunately, since the addicts vote to keep the dealers in power, that ain't gonna happen. On the bright side, the money will run out and we will be Greece, with the addicts rioting in the streets. Best case is if they eat each other first.

SantaBama.jpg
Perhaps this technical illustration will help...

R.O.C.K.

That would be an awesome Christmas card.

And this would be a great Valentine's Day card. Image

Anyer Marx wrote:
On the bright side, the money will run out and we will be Greece, with the addicts rioting in the streets. Best case is if they eat each other first.
Anyer...... I get it.....something like " 28 days "...... but the zombies are liberals.

What do I expect from the Gubment? (Besides free everything, of course):

moe money.jpg

Anyer Marx wrote:
Komissar Blogunov wrote:
... how do you persuade people that limited government is better than dependency on government handouts?
Image Probably the same way you "persuade" an addict to give up his drug/behavior of choice: stop enabling. Unfortunately, since the addicts vote to keep the dealers in power, that ain't gonna happen. On the bright side, the money will run out and we will be Greece, with the addicts rioting in the streets. Best case is if they eat each other first.
Except that I think it would be an easy thing for a community agitator to direct a mob to a neighborhood where people saved their money, bought homes and cars, and take care of what they own. "See those nice houses and cars, angry mob? They got them with all the money they steal from you. Destruction is the best revenge."