Our Revolution is Being Reenacted in Ukraine

A couple of quotations come to mind that will be familiar to Cubists but sadly unknown to too many Americans:

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" -Patrick Henry, March 23, 1775

...and...

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams

Komissar al-Blogunov wrote:
8/3/2022, 12:48 pm

A couple of quotations come to mind that will be familiar to Cubists but sadly unknown to too many Americans:

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" -Patrick Henry, March 23, 1775

...and...

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
[/align]
Those are excellent quotes, comrade.

I once read a quote attributed to the fictional Zaporozhan Cossack Taras Bulba (probably from Gogol's novel) wherein he says something along the lines of, "I'd rather be free than sweat my bones in the sun for another man."

Wish I could remember the full quote—it was much longer.

Colonel Obyezyana wrote:
8/3/2022, 2:17 pm

I once read a quote attributed to the fictional Zaporozhan Cossack Taras Bulba (probably from Gogol's novel) wherein he says something along the lines of, "I'd rather be free than sweat my bones in the sun for another man."

Wish I could remember the full quote—it was much longer.

I don't remember the quote either, but in the 1950s Hollywood made an adaptation of this Gogol's novella about the Ukrainian Cossacks, starring Yul Brynner and Tony Curtis. It's not a bad movie, I enjoyed watching it. Although Yul Brynner seems a bit too slim for Taras, who was supposed to be big and heavy.

Bulba.jpg

s-l500.jpg

Red Square wrote:
8/3/2022, 7:49 pm
I don't remember the quote either, but in the 1950s Hollywood made an adaptation of this Gogol's novella about the Ukrainian Cossacks, starring Yul Brynner and Tony Curtis. It's not a bad movie, I enjoyed watching it. Although Yul Brynner seems a bit too slim for Taras, who was supposed to be big and heavy.
MV5BYzZiYmZkMDAtNjM1ZS00MzNkLThmMTktMDMxMTQ0YjI1MGY5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjMxMzM3NDI@. V1 SY1000 CR0,0,720,1000 AL .jpg
I have the more recent (2009) Ukrainian/Russian version of "Taras Bulba" and it's Forelock City. Much grittier and down to the then-current truth than the made-in-Argentina Hollywoodized version (even has the scene where Taras is burned to death).

I am very much confused about Ukraine. Komrade Z seems to have unlimited power. Every time he says he needs money Komrade Brandon sends million or bazillions. Whatever Z says he needs.
Not seeing the connection as to "WHY" considering all the problems going on in the good ole U.S.A. at the moment.

P.S.
My first recollection of "revolution" was this. The Beatles "Revolution". 
Noise with no substance. Of course at the time we were caught up in the BS.

My parents were right about everything.

Taras Bulba: FORELOCKTUG City?? The horned lagomorph of Texazistan must be Ukrainian in mythical spirit.
Sometimes, living in the most corrupt RED state of Texazistan, the bastion of liberty in USSA makes ‘pelipsky feel Ukrainian. We’re being invaded by military age foreigners who kill us, in senseless acts of violence, but no war has been declared by our Governor. No billions from Brandon, though.

But in Revolutionary spirit, ‘pelipsky spent a pleasant time under large oak tree shade listening to Federalist Papers earlier this week. Federalist 10 was played over and over and everything was making sense, again.

Best wishes and forelock tug city for Ukrainian horned lagomorphs.