Post-Modern Poetry of a Generic Brand Video

Generic_Brand_VIdeo.jpg
According to this website, April is poetry month. So we would like to post here one of their great poems, with deep insights into our modern, as well as post-modern culture. Not only is this poem great - just recently it has also been adapted into a video.

THIS IS A GENERIC BRAND VIDEO

BY KENDRA EASH

- - - -
We think first
Of vague words that are synonyms for progress
And pair them with footage of a high-speed train.

Science
Is doing lots of stuff
That may or may not have anything to do with us.

See how this guy in a lab coat holds up a beaker?
That means we do research.
Here's a picture of DNA.

There are a shitload of people in the world
Especially in India
See how we're part of the global economy?
Look at these farmers in China.

But we also do business in the U.S.A.
Or want you to think we do.
Check out this wind energy thing in Indiana,
And this blue collar guy with dirt on his face.
Phew.

Also, we care about the environment, loosely.
Here's some powerful, rushing water
And people planting trees.
Our policies could be related to these panoramic views of Costa Rica.

In today's high speed environment,
Stop motion footage of a city at night
With cars turning quickly
Makes you think about doing things efficiently
And time passing.

Lest you think we're a faceless entity,
Look at all these attractive people.
Here's some of them talking and laughing
And close-ups of hands passing canned goods to each other
In a setting that evokes community service.

Equality,
Innovation,
Honesty
And advancement
Are all words we chose from a list.

Our profits
are awe-inspiring.
Like this guy who's looking up and pointing
At a skyscraper or a kite
While smiling and explaining something to his child.

Using a specific ratio
of Asian people to Black people to Women to White men
We want to make sure we represent your needs and interests
Or at least a version of your skin color
In our ads.

Did we put a baby in here?
What about an ethnic old man whose wrinkled smile represents
the happiness and wisdom of the poor?
Yep.

Ushanka tip to Sister Massively Opiated

"An image made in the image and likeness of images." -- Don DeLillo

That was beautiful. I hope I own stock in that company. I never buy the Generic line myself but I know poor people sure do like their stuff.

That poem was pretty bad, nothing rhymed. Appears the guy was tripping when he scratched that one out.

Red Walrus wrote:That poem was pretty bad, nothing rhymed. Appears the guy was tripping when he scratched that one out.
Nay, unrhymed poetry is called "free verse," and you must appreciate all the free stuff you can get. Perhaps the name should be changed to Obamaverse so people will love it more. I have written much Obamaverse myself. (blush)

RedDiaperette wrote:
Red Walrus wrote:That poem was pretty bad, nothing rhymed. Appears the guy was tripping when he scratched that one out.
Nay, unrhymed poetry is called "free verse," and you must appreciate all the free stuff you can get. Perhaps the name should be changed to Obamaverse so people will love it more. I have written much Obamaverse myself. (blush)

Hmmmmm....It is seldom that one sees a cat blush. Most curious!

Captain Craptek wrote:
RedDiaperette wrote:

Hmmmmm....It is seldom that one sees a cat blush. Most curious!
It is a metaphorical blushiness, Comrade Squirrel. A glow upon the sub-fur skin, if you will (and even if you will not).

Comrades, one must gaze into the ear flaps to see the glorious glow of a kitteh's blush...

Of course, you can also check the gums and membranes around the eyes, but for best (and least likely to be bitten) effect I heartily recommend the inner sides of the ear flaps!

Should you, in point of actual fact, need to know.

RedDiaperette wrote:
If it doesn't start with "There was a man from Nantucket"... it's definitely rubbish. And I swear the guy was tripping.

Red Walrus wrote:
RedDiaperette wrote:
If it doesn't start with "There was a man from Nantucket"... it's definitely rubbish. And I swear the guy was tripping.

I must agree with Comrade Walrus...I must because he's bigger than me. Vulgar limericks are Shakespeare for the masses. It's true! Remember the classics beginning, "There was a young lady from France."? Those are always the best.

Thank you Glorious Incarnadine Trapezoid,

It has been difficult to find the time recently, busy as the pod is in the general vicinity of the Crimean Peninsula. We shall soon have the op sewn up for you and the preeminence of Mother Cube.

What many seemed to have failed to note is the meta nature of a video - the use of a poem about the cynicism of marketing and material culture, by a stock footage company to sell their wares to marketing firms. When capitalism co-opts double-speak, we are doomed.

Shovels Sharp Comrades! I suspect we have all been remiss in digging the requisite number of memory holes of late. I realize it has been a difficult winter, and the ground may be frozen and hard, but that hasn't kept us from burying our living when necessary. Sloppiness invites purges, and really, if it's due to a dull shovel and over-indulgence in your Viktory Vodka™ rations, you have nobody to blame but yourselves when Housekeeping is ordered to dispatch a Limo to your hovel.

Ever Vigilant!
Sister

ps. The shot of the dolphins was quite good!

Comrade Sister of Magnificently Humongous Opiations, it is a thing of great wonder and joy to see you!

I believe I shall have a shot of dolphins myself - with a beet vodka chaser - in celebration!

Sister Massively Opiated wrote:What many seemed to have failed to note is the meta nature of a video - the use of a poem about the cynicism of marketing and material culture, by a stock footage company to sell their wares to marketing firms. When capitalism co-opts double-speak, we are doomed.

Oh. But what about the Generic line? I like their ad. They seem very nice. I even started buying some of their stuff. The Generic body bath is great.