The Legion of Hysterical Fools

Let's drop a bit of a truth bomb here.

An as-yet-unidentified person affiliated with the Supreme Court has leaked a draft of an as-yet-undecided Court ruling regarding Mississippi abortion legislation, Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization, No. 19-1392.  This draft holds the potential to overturn Roe v. Wade (1973) and Planned Parenthood v. Casey (1992).

Cue the Legion of Hysterical Fools.

Sophia Bush of CBS's Good Sam informs us:
How nice that these ideological nuts who don’t care about democracy or the will of the people — who overwhelmingly support a woman’s right to choose — can feel safe inside whilst they eviscerate our rights and condemn women to die. 
Rob Reiner thunders:
Two unelected people have decided that millions of American women will no longer have a right to make decisions regarding their reproductive health.
Alyssa Milano shrieks (I think four exclamation points equals a shriek):
Supreme Court has voted to overturn abortion rights, draft opinion shows!!!!
Lily-White Actress Amanda Duarte immediately played a race card:
I do wonder how these white supremacist lawmakers would feel if their little white daughters were raped and impregnated by black men.
Former President Obama intoned:
Illegal abortions inevitably pose grave risks to their health, their future ability to bear children, and sometimes their lives.
Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-NY) and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) demagogued:
Several of these conservative Justices, who are in no way accountable to the American people, have lied to the U.S. Senate, ripped up the Constitution and defiled both precedent and the Supreme Court’s reputation – all at the expense of tens of millions of women who could soon be stripped of their bodily autonomy and the constitutional rights they’ve relied on for half a century.
So exactly what happens if this draft decision is ultimately handed down as written and Roe and Casey are overturned?

Abortion is not automatically outlawed, as many of these hysterics and demagogues imply or outright claim.

The responsibility for deciding laws and regulations regarding abortion is removed from the federal level and placed on the state level. 

In states with a strong pro-abortion population, the people will elect legislators who will codify abortion rights as they see fit in the state without federal interference.  The legislators will be held accountable at the ballot-box by the voters and will not be able to hide behind a distant court ruling.

In states with a strong anti-abortion population, the people will elect legislators who will codify abortion restrictions as they see fit in the state without federal interference.  The legislators will be held accountable at the ballot-box by the voters and will not be able to hide behind a distant court ruling.

In states with a population divided almost equally on the question of abortion, politics will be lively.

Sounds like democracy at work. 

Instead of the "unelected people" that so frighten Rob Reiner making decisions about abortion rights, elected public officials, elected on a local level and reflecting the local values and mores of the districts they represent, will decide where the boundaries are on this controversial issue.

Sophia Bush's fears of "ideological nuts who don’t care about democracy or the will of the people" running rampant over the will of the people will be allayed.  Activists on both sides of the argument can attempt to persuade their representatives to legislate in favor of their position.

Brace yourselves, folks.  The shrieks and cries and prophecies of doom everlasting are only beginning.  Keep a level head, examine the facts, then make your decisions based on them.

The people claiming they are in favour of the Will of the People™ are afraid of the will of the people. They were quite fine with unelected Justices deciding on abortion law before they were against unelected Justices deciding on abortion law. Now they're going to have to convince a majority of the people to agree sex without consequences should be codified into State law and that killing their babies is a good idea.

I like the idea of legislators owning the decisions of government. In my interpretation of the separation of powers, the original intent was that the elected representatives of the people and (at the time) appointed representatives of the States were to have the greatest role in governance. The legislators have abrogated their responsibility in my opinion, relying increasingly on appointed bureaucrats and activist courts to achieve their goals in such a way that there is rarely real blowback for a policy or regulation that they couldn't sell to the public.

Ivan Betinov wrote:
5/4/2022, 2:52 am
legislators have abrogated their responsibility...relying increasingly on appointed bureaucrats and activist courts to achieve their goals in such a way that there is rarely real blowback for a policy or regulation that they couldn't sell to the public.
This is how the "Bureaucratic State" is built and bloated. Continued calls to "grow the government" are like doctors calling on cancer patients to "grow the tumors."

Image Yep. Bingo.  And that separation of powers thing isn't just your interpretation - that was the whole purpose.
At the Federal level, laws were supposed to be very difficult to pass because they would affect the entire country (there is no escape from them), and are extremely difficult to rescind once passed.

State laws and local laws allow some competition so if you don't like the way things are run in your area, you have the option to move or at least could have some influence over local reps.  Good ideas (like I don't know ... those outlawing stealing, murder, ...) will naturally get replicated everywhere, without a need for the Feds to make any "one size fits all" law at all.

The whole system breaks down when you have executive and judicial branches making law by fiat.  Which is exactly what left-wingers and other proponents of statism want: concentration of power in a few people's hands.

Ensuring Fed laws were constrained to be things that could ONLY be done at the national level was the whole purpose of the 10th amendment from the start, until FDR broke it by threatening SCOTUS with court packing if they didn't play ball with all the unconstitutional New Deal garbage.  It has been a slow, steady decline into a Federal leviathan since then with our two main political parties differing only over how fast we're going to sink into despotism.  Wonder why they don't teach that little fun fact in our public schools...
Huh?  Whah, what happened?  Where am I?  Was I talking?

Wipe the drool off your chin, comrade. You look like an elected official.

Ivan the Stakhanovets wrote:
5/4/2022, 8:32 am
Wipe the drool off your chin, comrade. You look like an elected official.
I'm awake now and ready to lead an effective strategy to mobilize trunalimunumaprzure.

“There are so many fundamental rights that are affected by that, and I’m not allo—I’m not prepared to leave that to the whims of the public at the moment,"

Comrade Joe Biden

Image All I hear from Biden and his allies on every topic is that "democracy" is under attack, yet everything they do and say is a direct attack on democracy. We must censor opposing views/misinformation on the internet to save democracy. We can't have ballot integrity because we have to save democracy. Etc. The cast majority of Americans want restrictions on abortion, but the "Democratic" Party is hell bent on ignoring them.

Image Comrades

Wise words from The PartyTM  leader. If anyone knows about the true will of the people, it's the man who received the most votes in history.

I remain
Dr. Chicago

Dr. Chicago: The words "science" and "democracy" are nothing more than newly redefined synonyms for the far-left agenda.

Follow the far-left agenda. Trust the far-left agenda. Free speech is a threat to the far-left agenda. January 6th was the day our far-left agenda was under attack. We are just one election away from losing our far-left agenda forever!

BTW, has anyone besides me noticed that as of this morning, Ukraine is no longer in the news? I saw not one headline about it. The sunflowers everyone put into their avatars and profile pix have wilted and been tossed into the trash of yesterday's Current Truth. Everything is suddenly about Roe vs Wade and how the whole world will end without it.

For the past three months, I've been hearing that we shouldn't complain about inflation, high gas prices, supply chain, etc; that instead, we must think of the little children being bombed every night in Ukraine. So how is this supposed to square with the bright and shiny abortion thingy suddenly dangling in front of these virtue-signalers? Never mind the children of Ukraine; instead, think of all the American children in danger of being born? Will we still be allowed to complain about the price of gas, or must we think of all the women (and maybe certain men) who will die because the abortion issue might get kicked back to the states--as it should?

Commissarka Pinkie wrote:
5/4/2022, 3:20 pm
Has anyone besides me noticed that as of this morning, Ukraine is no longer in the news?

Yes, and there's a pretense for that...
WBA.jpg

Commissarka Pinkie wrote:
5/4/2022, 3:20 pm
The words "science" and "democracy" are nothing more than newly redefined synonyms for the far-left agenda.

Funny: Tucker Carlson just defined 'democracy' (as elitists use it) to mean, "We're in charge, shut up."

Apparently, a Party™ official sent out a memo to stop using Our Democracy™ so now it's just Democracy™. Apparently, Our Democracy™ wasn't selling too well to the proletariat and other equally insignificant opinion holders. It's always dangerous to have opinion holders. As The Party™ always says, "You're entitled to your own facts. You're not entitled to your own opinions."

Actually, with the new DGB poised to swing into action, the Party is going to start providing the facts as well.

Ivan Betinov wrote:
5/4/2022, 8:50 pm
Actually, with the new DGB poised to swing into action, the Party is going to start providing the facts as well.

‘pelipsky understood that DGB had already mo-jo’d over the Collective’s parking lot speed bumps of fact, at warp speed. Russians dropped off Hunter’s laptop at repair shop. All comrades know this. To think Hunter was involved is anti-democracy.

New Current Truth is Truth really doesn’t hit everyone.

In other news, laundromats across the country are working to de-clog their equipment, which is filling up with panties in a wad.

“My body, my choice” As an anesthesia resident in the early ‘80s, I was required to provide my services for these ‘procedures’. What I noticed with my keen intellect and observant mind was that the sliced and diced body in the suction canister was NOT the mother’s!! Her body was just fine in the recovery room.

I got to thinking…imagine Republicans pushing…nay, DEMANDING a medical procedure that results in the deaths of over 400,000 African Americans annually. A disproportionate 40% of total deaths and a rate 5X higher than for whites. BLM?? BLM are you there?

Most Equally Esteemed Komrad Papa Kalishnikook,

May I join you in relating a story about the "Pro Choice" movement from long ago?  I will tell the readers Digest version anyway...

Long ago, during my time serving in the People's Air Force, I was changing planes at SFO (San Francisco).  I was in my dress blues for travel.  A "Pro Choice" protester left the designated "Expression Area" and charged towards me.  She was shouting "Baby Killer!" before she spat on me.  She was arrested and I caught my next plane. 

I think that pretty much defines "irony". 

Musing in the Current Truth™,

Red Salmon

Red Salmon wrote:
5/6/2022, 4:07 pm
Most Equally Esteemed Komrad Papa Kalishnikook,

May I join you in relating a story about the "Pro Choice" movement from long ago?  I will tell the readers Digest version anyway...

Long ago, during my time serving in the People's Air Force, I was changing planes at SFO (San Francisco).  I was in my dress blues for travel.  A "Pro Choice" protester left the designated "Expression Area" and charged towards me.  She was shouting "Baby Killer!" before she spat on me.  She was arrested and I caught my next plane. 

I think that pretty much defines "irony". 

Musing in the Current Truth™,

Red Salmon

I looked up ‘irony’ in the Peoples Dictionary and all they had was your Most Excellent post.

jackalopelipsky wrote:
5/5/2022, 9:07 am
Ivan Betinov wrote:
5/4/2022, 8:50 pm

‘pelipsky understood that DGB had already mo-jo’d over the Collective’s parking lot speed bumps of fact, at warp speed. Russians dropped off Hunter’s laptop at repair shop. All comrades know this. To think Hunter was involved is anti-democracy.

New Current Truth is Truth really doesn’t hit everyone.
Are you sure that wasn't warped speed?